Opinions sought on Thule bike carrier

Howdy,
looking at getting a Thule Roadway - Hitching Post Pro (BA 934XT)

http://www.thule.com.au/images/product_detail/Receiver_Hitch_Bike_Carriers.pdf

Has anyone got one and what are your thoughts? I looked at ISI carriers but at $500 are a bit on the expensive side, and doubt would use it true offroading...

Thanks!

Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:40

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:40
G'day Nick,

I've got the same carrier - 934XT - and use it on my 100 Series with Kaymar rear wheel carrier. It, and the bikes, easily clear the spare tyre.

There isn't a lot of room on the arms for four bikes - road bikes would fit fairly easily - but I carry MTB's and two bikes fit well - three can be a squeeze - for four MTB's you need to take front wheels off so that handle bars are turned 90 degrees (along frame) to slim them down.

There isn't a spot for a bike carrier number plate (need in Vic as my car one is covered) but a few occy straps temporarily has it displayed. I'm currently working on an alloy bracket attached to a cam-loc strap to get rid of the occy's.

The carrier does move a bit (sway) as I haven't got the extra kit. If I wanted to I could run a strap from the bikes to the roof rack to prevent sway but it doesn't bother me that much.

The carrier is secured to the vehicle's hitch with a high tensile bolt to a captive nut. The spanners supplied work ok but a ratchet spanner or socket is a lot easier.

An easier option might have been the platform type rear hitch carriers but as I wanted to have the flexibility to carry four bikes I had to go this option.

I think I paid around the $250 mark (guess)

Regards,

Tim - Stratford.
AnswerID: 410322

Reply By: yakodi - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 15:38

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 15:38
You might want to checkout the ISI Advanced bicycle carrier systems website and just compare. They appear to be a well thought out carrier. We have used Thule bike carriers for years and never an issue. Cheers.
AnswerID: 410340

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 15:50

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 15:50
OP mentioned he already had... though what might be of interest is that ISI have a town version on their website now- at least, there are details to come. It appears it doesn't have the swing down action of the off-road version. I imagine it will be priced lower too.
FollowupID: 680237

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 15:52

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 15:52
I think the ISI is only a 2 bike carrier as well which may be an issue if you have more than 2 bikes.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 680239

Sponsored Links