Track on Cape York

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:19
ThreadID: 77181 Views:2950 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,
Does anyone know if the track running from 18kms east of Musgrave Roadhouse North through Lily Vale, Running Creek and on to intersect the road across to Port Stewart is open to the public and passable to motor bikes (in the dry season).

The Hema map I have shows the part north of Running Creek as a private track. I have found that some of the land this track passes through is also to become a National Park/aboriginal land but I cannot find info on it's current status.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By:- Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:33

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:33
Howdy,

Jump onto the Cape York Forum and ask the locals, they will know.

http://capeyorkforums.com/forums/

Regards
Ev
AnswerID: 410369

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:36

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:36
It only used to go through to Running Creek - Have not been up there for a while though.

I would be sure that it would not go through to Port Stewart, but others may clarify. You would need permission to traverse the aboriginal lands.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 410370

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:50

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:50
Glenndini - I just rang a friend that was up at Port Stewart a couple of years ago and they tried to get from Port Stewart down to Running Creek - There is an issue with a tidal creek and a long stretch of mangrove mud. They did not attempt to cross it with the Cruiser.

On the way back they passed some motor bikes that were doing the trip. The motor bikes never returned so they must have found a way through.

Apparently one of the local aboriginal Policeman in Coen knows the area like the back of hos hand. You could try to contact him. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 680280

Sponsored Links