Camp site. GCR - Laverton

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 09:52
ThreadID: 77197 Views:4709 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all. Can anyone tell me if there are any campsites just north of Laverton on the GCR. I have heard rumours of a gorge, but have not been able to find any more info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:25

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:25
Hi Charlie
It is Giles Breakaway.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410458

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:56

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:56
Yes - it is a nice place too. I didn't camp there however you could; worthy of a couple of days exploring if you have the time.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 680424

Reply By: Member - Jan B (VIC) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 16:57

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 16:57
Hi Charlie,

If you get hold of the HEMA book Great Central Road it has listings of the whole road right through to Winton in QLD.
It has a great amount of camping areas and other excieting things to see.

Regards Peter & Jan
AnswerID: 410512

Reply By: obee1212 - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 22:07

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 22:07
Once you leave Laverton you are back in time when a person could do anything within reason. It is a long way between places and people who you could upset by just being there. It's a place I dream of now that this country is so full of people and rules.

You can camp where ever you want along the road but I would hope you respect enough to leave little or no trace. Oh yes there are those who would have you stop at the designated roadhouses they have now but that is a vain wish on their behalf.

Hardly anyone travels at night time in the desert so you wont be molested by anyone. Just stay away from the communities. They are happy enough without sightseers and discourage them. Fortunately for you they are a fair way off the main road.

If you need the comforts of a secure campsite then there are plenty enough along the way. Reasonable prices for a site with power and ablutions considering how remote they they are. Get an up to date road map.

Owen
AnswerID: 410577

Reply By: greenextreme - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 00:23

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 00:23
Hi Charlie,

Giles Breakaway coordinates are 28°16.832S 122° 42.051E.
The Breakaway is about 50km from Laverton and has no signs to indicate where to turnoff/access the breakaway. If you don't have GPS, about 48km from Laverton you'll see a bitumised road on the left to a Commonwealth Site, then 1-2km later there's a small incline/hill with a track on the left heading south into scrub....bingo....Giles Breakawy.
Failing that, buy the Outback Way guidebook and you'll be able to find lots of camp sites. Enjoy. It's a magic place.

greenextreme
AnswerID: 410993

Sponsored Links