swags

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 17:00
ThreadID: 77210 Views:4370 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Im thinking of getting a swag for those times that I want to jump hit the sack without unloading the camper. Thinking of a top to toe screen and hopefully a 3 wring dome type. I have looked at the oztrail but believe they are made in China. Dont much about the quality. Anythoughs out there or experiences.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Supertramp (NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 17:15

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 17:15
Hi ya,

I have a swag with full screen, very good quality and fully water proof, its made by Burke and Wills and also made in Australia.

One of the best thing i ever bought!

Cheers

Nick
AnswerID: 410515

Follow Up By: Kerrymac - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 17:22

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 17:22
Thanks for that supertramp. Do you remember the name of the particular swag.
FollowupID: 680406

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:36

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:36
I have one of these and spent a couple of nights in steady rain and kept dry.

I am impressed.
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 680440

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:16

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:16
Kerrymac
I have one of the cheap Chinese swags, for the money they are very good. I have camped out in mine in torrential down pours and have never had water leak inside.
The canvas is not as good as the Australian made swags, but for the amount I use it and being under half the price found them to be good value.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 410537

Follow Up By: Kerrymac - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:23

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:23
What make did you buy, it sounds good and I work on the theory that if I buy a cheaper one today and it last me 3 years then, hey it is cheaper than the motels.
FollowupID: 680417

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:07

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:07
Sorry I cannot remember the brand and I am not at home to check but was purchased from Camping World. It would be 4 years old now.
The only problem I had was with the fibreglass support hoops, if you are not careful they will break, but high quality ones are available from camping supplies.
Chris

FollowupID: 680428

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:55

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:55
For this kind of reason, my advise again is to buy a quality swag to start with.

Not only for the quality of canvas and hoops, but for the quality and comfort of the mattress. This is the most important consideration IMHO.

Even in the same brand of swag, you may see almost identical models with a price difference of $80-$100. Look more closely and you will find the more expensive one has a superior mattress.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 680527

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:20

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:20
Agreed Bill, but is not always the case, except for the hoops the canvas is of good quality and I find the mattress very comfortable.

The swag originally cost me under $200, the hoops which lasted a few years cost under $30 to replace. At the time a similar designed swag with slightly better canvas and hoops was over $500.
So for the amount of times I was going to use it, I did not think it was worth the extra expense, and it is way better than the canvas tarp/mattess I used for a few years every night when working on remote settlements in the NT.
Chris

FollowupID: 680531

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:44

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:44
Hi Kerrymac,

We have 2 oztrail mitchell swags. We have not had any problems at all with ours & they have been used in all conditions.

Sarah
AnswerID: 410546

Follow Up By: Member - Danielle T (WA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:03

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:03
We have the double oztrail mitchell and love it. Its easy and comfy. Warm and dry in freezing July weather. Great a couple of weeks ago with the top open,just mozzie screen closed. We also have big full sized van, but love the swag too!
FollowupID: 680452

Follow Up By: Member - desray (WA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 00:00

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 00:00
I also have a oztrail mitchell swag , been good no problems 3 years now.
FollowupID: 680479

Reply By: Wilko - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:11

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:11
Hi Kerrymac,

I got mine made to my own design, Hasn't got the bells and whistles but I got to make it to my specs. I wanted heavier weight canvas birkmire canvas, 2100mm long and 1300mm wide.

I also have 1" of high density foam, 3" of medium density foam and 1" of low density foam. Thats a 5" inch mattress.

I just couldn't find what I wanted so I draw up a design and got a local upholsterer to make it.

It cost me $70 13 years ago, I believe it could be double( Or triple) that now

Cheers Wilko

AnswerID: 410552

Reply By: obee1212 - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:44

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:44
First time I saw a swag in action was in tea tree NT. A bloke rocked up, threw down his swag, climbed in and that was it. So elegant. So simple.

I got a couple of zip up the side versions made a few years ago and eventually gave one away because her indoors did not come at such luxury. Dream of a luxury caravan I guess.

I like the original design that was simply and elegantly a rectangle of proper canvas that folded around the sleeping equipment. A bit more canvas than a zip up sleeping bag type like mine but more freedom to roll around in and convertible to other applications. (apps, as they say these days)

The bed roll inside is completely up to the owner to tailor to his/her own needs. Thick or thin, blanket, sheet or the old sleeping bag.

I spent so many nights sleeping under a hoochie when I had no choice and on the hard ground with a mere ground sheet below that I must have become used to it. I did it in Queensland last year all of sixty one years old and happy as a pig. And the barest of insulation from the ground.

When I travel now without the camper and the wife I take a swag and one time a fold up bed but now I got one of those army stretchers that are low to the ground and dont have issues with errant springs. Stretcher and swag and a good nights rest. What else does a person need?

Oh ok, lots of things

Owen

AnswerID: 410569

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:47

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:47
Our swags are Down Under brand (made in Australia) but many other brands are suitable.
Ours have a hoop and the head end and a simple short post in the middle of the foot end to create a mini tent shape at the bottom.
They can be used fully erected as standalone sleeping quarters, or left flat and used inside a tent, or the living room of a house or anywhere else you care to put them.
A high density egg crate foam mattress provides super sleeping comfort and like most other swags of this type, they have a insect proof mesh and zipped canvas top cover to keep out rain when used in the open.
We keep opened out sleeping bags permanently inside to function as doonas and they are super comfortable.

Spend as much as you can afford and they should be a lifetime investment.

One tip.
If buying a single swag, buy the extra large size which gives you more width and thus more comfort.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 410571

Reply By: pdm3006 - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 15:06

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 15:06
I use a Wild Country double swag I purchased from Rays Outdoors.
It has been in the Victorian high country several times during rain and never leaked. It goes up easily and is well made.
I generally try to setup a tippee over it using a poly tarp because it saves having to roll up a wet swag and it potentially getting mouldy. But it's not always possible to predict rain.
For added comfort before use it I put my self inflating mattress on top of the mattress built into the swag - very comfy !
AnswerID: 410665

Sponsored Links