Coleman Montana 12 Deluxe

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 18:49
ThreadID: 77215 Views:17559 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,.

Anyone out there have the Coleman Montana 12 Deluxe? It is big brother to the Coleman Chalet ... interested to hear how long it take to put up, comments on value, what you like, dislike, etc.

Thanks
Kylie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 18:59

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 18:59
Hi Kylie,
I dont know the exact tent, is it a 12 person tent??? I watched a family put up the biggest dome tent i have ever seen at Hill End (NSW). It was done with some family presicion but it took sooooo long. If you arrived at camp late, you would never have gotten this tent up in the dark.. Sometimes i think its better to have 2 tents, maybe two, 4 person touring tents to make life easy. At some time in the future, you will arrive late to camp or have to pack up in the pouring rain... simple is sometimes better.. regards Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410532

Follow Up By: sassenach.girl - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:06

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:06
Hi Micheal,

Yes it is the 12 person tent: http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/gear/tents-and-shelters/gold-series/montana-12-deluxe-cv.aspx

A review I found online said it took 36 mins to erect.

Not keen on 2 separate tents as we have very young girls (age 4 & 2) that I would prefer in the same tent as us. Plus we liked the central room that was big enough for dining 'inside' away from mozzies.

Another option is a smaller 3 room tent (like the Black Wolf Turbo 300 Lite or the Coleman Chalet) plus a screened dome for dining ..... though the price gets higher all up.
FollowupID: 680413

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:34

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:34
Kylie, That 36 minutes would probably turn in to 45 minutes, that is a very long time to set up a tent, then you have the bedding and the rest of the internals to set up and 2 small kids and cooking etc. personally i would look at something simple.. Or maybe if you intend to set up in the middle of the day and stay a while, maybe ok but if you are travelling daily, the setup will kill you!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 680420

Follow Up By: sassenach.girl - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:04

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:04
Most times we will be going for long weekends, arriving around 3pm(ish) and staying 2 nights, so not worried about too long a setup. But, I see your point should we want to go farther a field, therefore we may have some 1-nighters as we trek around.

I just don't know how we can go "simple" while still having enough room?

Kylie
FollowupID: 680427

Follow Up By:- Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:15

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:15
I had a Coleman Chalet 9CV XL. Only used it twice and sold it. Too big and takes a little over an hour to put it up - too long especially when we have kids and trying to keep a good eye on them while trying to set up.

Currenly looking at buying a blackwolf 300 plus which is like two rooms. Enough for four of us + room to move around. This should take us no more than 15 minutes to put up hopefully.
This way we can enjoy our camping and look forward to setting up when arriving knowing it gets a bit easier.
FollowupID: 680432

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:20

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:20
Kylie, You really dont need a lot of room, we spent 5 weeks in the middle of Oz with a 2 and a 4 yo with a 3m x 4m touring tent, Yes it was tight but try keeping an eye onyoung kids when two of you are putting up a tent for close to an hour and then unpacking your vehicle and trying to get some dinned together.............. not pleasant... something to think about.. Maybe hire a big tent to see what i mean or get along to a camping show and maybe you can find 2 smaller tents that you can fit together... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 680436

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:22

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:22
OOPPS! i meant Getting "dinner together" Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 680439

Follow Up By: portlester - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:37

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:37
Hi Kylie

Until this year we have used a Coleman Northstar 8 tent. It has two rooms & with our family of 6 (now 7) we had the 4 kids (aged 6 and under) in the bedroom section, and my wife & myself in the outer room (of a daytime we through our sleeping bags & mats into the kids sleeping area). This tent has two rooms. On our trips I also took along a large tarp to put up as a shelter for dining, out of the rain etc.

To give you an idea, the Northstar used to take two of us approx 30min to put up (this includes the time wasted in keeping the little ones occupied/close by etc)

The Northstar lasted us 6 years of camping almost every school holidays, until finally giving up the ghost last year when a pole that had not been fully inserted into the ridge frame came out in high winds and went through the frame. Up till when it died (which was due to us) we had been very happy with it, although also realised that it would not last as long as a canvas tent.

When deciding on a replacement, the plan was for it to be either a canvas touring style (Southern Cross or Freedom Tents) or a Black Wolf Turbo Lite Twin 300. We eventually decided not to head down this path and brought forward our purchase of a Trak Shak camper.

We stayed away from the Coleman 3 room tents (which we did look at) because I didn't want the kids jumping around in the tent of a daytime anyway (so therefore didn't need a playroom/dining area); in bad weather if we really needed to stay in the tent (never happened because I had set up the large tarp) then the kids could 'quiet play' on their sleeping mats; there was alot more time involved in putting them up; & I wasn't confident the aluminium/fibreglass poles would hold up to the bigger tent (our Coleman Northstar 8 had all aluminium poles, newer ones now also have the aluminium/fibreglass mix).

For their price range however we were very happy with the Coleman brand.

hope that helps your a little.
FollowupID: 680441

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:52

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:52
We still have our Northstar 8 which takes two of us about 20 minutes to put up. There is heaps of room inside and we have been through some really nasty weather in it without getting wet or blown away. The quality is very good and I would recommend them. Used as portlester described they would make a good family tent.

We also own a Blackwolf Turbo 240 Plus which we use when travelling each day as it is up in a couple of minutes and just as quick to pack away. The Northstar gets taken when we are planning base camping for more than a few days.

When our tribe used to come along (4 children plus the 2 of us) we used to use two stockman 6 man tents pitched with the awnings together to give two sleeping areas and a large area under cover out of the sun/rain. The kids one went up in about 15 minutes with their help (10 without!) then we chucked all their stuff in there and they set that up while we put up our tent and set up the rest of the camp.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 681945

Reply By: chisel - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:29

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:29
I see your comments about wanting to dine inside away from mozzies ... but what about the 80% of time there are no mozzies and you could dine outside? In those cases you'd probably want something a bit quicker to put up.
But the colemans are pretty good in terms of instructions and simplicity in setting up. I'd be surprised if it took >30mins once you got the hang of it.
If you are only a family of 4 I'd still probably suggest something smaller though.

We have a blackwolf turbo lite 300 plus for our family of 4 (2 girls, 3.5 and 2 yrs old) and it is heaps big enough. It's almost too big for touring (lots of overnight stops) but we put up with it because we like the extra size when we stay 2 or more nights. We never dine inside though unless it is bucketing down and we haven't put up the tarp/gazebo .. or the mozzies are ferocious. We usually find the RAID outdoor mozzie candles are enough to keep them at bay for a while.

The blackwolf takes under 15mins to put up including pegging out and putting the fly on.
AnswerID: 410565

Reply By: outsider - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 22:10

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 22:10
We camp with friends that have the Montana 12 Deluxe and they are very happy with it, certainly has plenty of room.

I don't think it takes too long to put up and it is very sturdy.
Having the large center room was a real bonus when the weather is not cooperating.
The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was rather bulky when packed up.
AnswerID: 410578

Reply By: sassenach.girl - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 19:14

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 19:14
Thanks for all your replies. While most of the time we're planning to stay in one spot for 2+ nights, we may do the odd overnighter when enroute to somewhere more than 4-6 hours away. So, hubby and I have read your replies, plus (it seems) every opinion available on the web and we're down to two options:

1. Stick with the Coleman Montana 12 and its huge awning. Have seen it up, moved around in it, and love the room. Really suits our family. Even for overnighters we don't mind the 30-40min set-up, but we can reduce that by not putting up the full awning for 1 nighters.

2. Black Wolf Turbo 300 Plus. Quick set-up for overnighters and we still get a separate room from the kids. For longer than 1 night, we'd also get a screened dome like the Black Wolf Sonoran (3.6x3.6m with roll down rain covers) or the equivalent through Oztrail, so we have a screened area for dining or hanging out if its raining, insectie, and the like. More flexibility with the two 'tents', but considerably more dollars.

Kylie
AnswerID: 411327

Follow Up By: chisel - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:41

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:41
The Turbo 300 plus is the heavy canvas one. The turbo lite 300 plus is the lighter material and cheaper. If you are comparing to the Coleman you probably should be looking at the lite one. We got ours for around $650 during an anaconda sale. But I do agree the combination of the blackwolf tent and the screened dome will cost a fair bit more than the coleman.
FollowupID: 681930

Follow Up By: sassenach.girl - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:44

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:44
Thanks Chisel. Have posted below this morning. We ended up grabbing the Coleman on sale at nearly 1/2 price.
FollowupID: 681931

Reply By: sassenach.girl - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:07

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:07
Hi folks,

We happened to see the Montana on the weekend for a brilliant price (almost half price!) so we ended up grabbing it. Practised in the back yard and it took DH and I about 45 minutes all up first go. Second go it only took 35 mins, including the fly, so I think 20-25 mins is not unreachable. We can pull it down and put it away in less than 20 mins, which is fabulous!

Here we are all set up for a trial run up at my folks in Nanango:

We had plenty of room -- almost too much -- but we went on the trial with just the tent and self-inflating mattresses. Next we need to get the camp kitchen, tables and chairs, etc, so we will want the room!

We're planning a 'convoy' of sorts from Brisbane to Dubbo and back late August this year, with us car camping and my folks caravanning .... looking forward to it! Thinking of up the coast to Airlie Beach and back in January, and maybe Brisbane to Alice and back around Easter next year. Also got a few long weekenders planned to Hervey Bay and Sunnie Coast :)
AnswerID: 411921

Sponsored Links