Any Guestimates when the QAA LINE, POEPPEL CORNER – BIRDSVILLE may be open

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:17
ThreadID: 77228 Views:6848 Replies:8 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Is there any predictions when the Simpson will be open to Birdsville?

Also interested in the K1 Line to Warburton Track to Birdsville Track.

Had intended to traverse these late July early August - Thought it might be advisable to do an alternate plan :-)

Cheers Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:40

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:40
Keep your plans. They'll be open then
AnswerID: 410617

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:51

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:51
Ta - Good to know - with talk of the ferry down the road a bit I had to wonder if the rest of the country would dry out - Cheers
FollowupID: 680499

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 14:18

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 14:18
Warburton Crossing will be the only one that may give you trouble.

FollowupID: 680535

Reply By: Jumankum - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:09

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:09
Keep an eye on the Warburton crossing, I don't think it opened at all last year.
It definately wasnt open mid August when we were poking around birdsville
AnswerID: 410621

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:16

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:16
If indeed that was the case, it would not be open this year. Might not backtrack that way now but go straight down the birdsville track and into Lake Eyre - Sounds like it should have some water to view :-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 680501

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:21

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:21
There is still water coming down from the northern rivers. It may do so for quite some time. Below is the latest weather warning (that may have far reaching benefits) from the BOM:

TROPICAL CYCLONE WATCH

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 3
Issued by the BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY, DARWIN
at 5:00 am CST Saturday 27 March 2010

A Cyclone WATCH continues for a developing tropical low for coastal areas and
island communities from Cape Don to Nhulunbuy.

At 3:30 am CST a Tropical Low was estimated to be 210 kilometres north of
Maningrida and 385 kilometres northwest of Nhulunbuy and moving southeast at 9 kilometres per hour.

There is the possibility of a Tropical Cyclone developing but GALES are not
expected in coastal areas within the next 24 hours, however gales may develop
later.

With any luck iot might travel south and dump some more rain in \to the Murray/Darling catchment areas. Much more water is still needed in the southern end of the country to help replenish dams, reservoirs, billabongs, waterways, forests, creeks, rivers etc. You will just have to bide your patience re a trip into the channel country. perhaps sometime next year. Good luck.
AnswerID: 410623

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:21

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:21
DIO - I have been watching this one - We missed our Simpson trip last year due to work commitments - would be a shame to miss it this year as well :-(

Oh well lots of other places to see and thats whats good about Oz :-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 680510

Reply By: Ozrover - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:37

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:37
Hi Tony,

At the moment if we don't get any more rain north of Birdsville the Eyre creek won't be open until late May at the earliest & I doubt that the Warburton track will be open at all again this year.

AnswerID: 410627

Follow Up By: Member QLD Steve & Lorraine Mc - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:52

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:52
I would say you are the the money there Jeff, one will have to tread extra careful as the tracks are going to be well & truly grooved out from all the running water?? Food for Thought!!

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 680507

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:19

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:19
Ta for that Jeff - Will watch the rainfall. I will take the Warburton Track route off the plans and put some time into lake Eyre.

At this time we are due at your place on the 23/07/2010 for the Simpson Crossing to Birdsville. We were going to backtrack down the K1 Line - Warburton Track.

Now I have your screen name do you mind if I mm a bit closer to the departure date ?

Cheers Tony

FollowupID: 680509

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:29

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:29
Tony,

Not a problem, have a look at the Mt Dare website as well.

FollowupID: 680512

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:05

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:05
Jeff - That is a good informative site you have there - well done & cheers - Hope to be there in late July.

Cheers tony
FollowupID: 680769

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:31

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:31
Hi gents, here's my 2 bobs worth. Last year the Diamantina floods ran through Jan and Feb with the bulk of the water gone past Birdsville by mid March.Level at 25/3/09 was 2.5m and 2 days ago it's still at 7.4 m As mentioned the Warburton never opened at all. Eyre Creek also flooded and was closed when we drove out to it in late May.See pix in Places. The bypass which is 30km north eventually opened mid June.

This years floods are roughly 6 weeks later and nearly as big so my guesstimate is that the Eyre bypass won't open until mid July so it will be touch and go but you should be OK. The wildflowers should be tremendous.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410640

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:39

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:39
Ta Warrie - Touch & go would be go as long as it waivers towards the go side :-) The Warburton section seems to be the one to take off the plans.

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 680523

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:51

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:51
Warrie, just so you can adjust you guesstimate, the by-pass was
open just after mid May last year :)
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 680524

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:09

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:09
OK C and D, we went to Eyre Ck on the 11th - just checked my pix and the detour sign was there so one can assume it WAS open. Wouldn't it be nice if the Sa Nat Pks site was updated. They are still stuck on the 5th March for the Simpson update. If you say the Simpson is open on the 16th then why not have your update up to date!!!!! Its really quite pathetic.
Back to Eyre Ck, as the pic shows, there's still plenty of water to come down from Bedourie. It's no longer a major flood but the moderate stage is lasting a long time. The waterholes are all pre wet from last year so it won't seep in as quickly. When the Parks get there act together they might give the travelling public some regular updatesImage Could Not Be Found
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680529

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:02

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:02
Warrie,
Your criticism of DEH is unwarranted and unfair.
Eyre Creek cuts the QAA Line in QUEENSLAND - nothing to do with DEH in South Australia. The section that crosses the QAA Line is Adria Downs Station. If you want the latest Eyre Creek info, you need to ring Birdsville.

It is provided on the SA desert parks bulletin as a courtesy to travellers.
DEH update the desert parks bulletin whenever there is a change. They are very good in my experience.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 680598

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 23:31

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 23:31
Hi Phil, the change occurred on the 16th when the Simpson opened. They should have had the courtesy to at least update their now out of date bulletin by at least saying what is open and what is obviously closed i.e. the Eyre and Warburton Creeks. A comment about the recent wet weather and outlook for wild flowers and life and any other relevant local info is what most people want. From this point on many travellers would appreciate a weekly update..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680619

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:07

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:07
Warrie,

You keep referring to Eyre Creek. I'll repeat, Eyre Creek and the QAA Line are not in South Australia. Why don't you send some criticism to Qld Roads Dept, RACQ, Qld Police, Qld National Parks, or the owner of Adria Downs Station, as it is on private property.

Sure DEH they haven't dropped the statement about summer closures until 16th March - but the desert is still closed as stated.
Why don't you forgive them for that one?

Regarding the Warburton Crossing:
"Warburton Crossing – Closed until further notice. Local rain has continued to keep water in this area and water expected from Birdsville will keep the Warburton Crossing closed for an unknown time."
What is your criticism here?????

"Check local conditions before travelling. Please call the Desert Parks hotline on 1800 816 078 for further information."
Have you done this? Won't cost you a cent!

"As conditions change a further update bulletin will be issued."

In times of flood the DEH are a very busy, underresourced Government Department and like the rest of us, do not have access to the wet areas to update tourists on info such as wildflowers.

Cheers
phil

For the viewers at home, this is what we're discussing:
http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/pdfs/PARKS_PDFS_DES_PARKS_BULLETIN.PDF
FollowupID: 680669

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 11:17

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 11:17
Hi Phil, I took your advice and phoned their 1800 number. It is out of action!! Told to ring back in office hours on Monday. Are they too under - resourced to not even be able to manage a recorded message?
I thought thet were a National PARKS SERVICE as in NSW but apparently not in SA. Oh and I thought PARKS involve flora i.e. flowers and wildlife - the fauna. The SERVICE part IMO is not being met, not that the NSW service is perfect.
You and I can figure out that today you'll have trouble getting into Birdsdville due to the floods there, let alone getting into the Simpson across Eyre Ck. The Parks service just helps us add another jigsaw piece to the information puzzle. They are the ones that deal with drought and flood affecting track conditions and if they claim to be the authority and put out bulletins then let them be timely. They can phone the Qld people and gather intelligence.
Tomorrow's Monday the 29th so that will be 24 days since the last update. Too much of it is now out of date... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680686

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 14:01

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 14:01
Warrie,
You're making it all up as you go - I give up !!!!!

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 680722

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:29

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:29
Cheers Phil, all the best for your next desert fix. Wife and I have found them quite addictive too and are looking foward to the flourishing flowers the rains have brought. Trying to dodge flooded creeks and closed roads and do a different route to last year although going thru the Flinders again is not a bad thing. Hoping to be in SA in 2 weeks... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680808

Reply By: RobAck - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:35

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:35
At this stage there is 100% more water coming down the Cooper than the 2004 flood which was the biggie. With an already wet area from last year that means less chance of things opening up

The Warburton will most likely remain closed as it did last year for the duration. Eyre Creek is seriously in doubt according to our information. We have two crossings planned in June and July and hare seriously considering cancelling both of them

Whilst we are optimistic that the desert will open I would suggest an alternate plan would be a fine idea. After all the Simspon is not going away and the wild flowers will be fantastic across the outback and Flinders Ranges.

Arkaroola is emerald green and the whole Flinders is looking fantastic so consider that as an option. There has also been heaps of rain in the centre so the Mereenie Loop will be another place where the scenery and regrowth is really coming along

We are currently rescheduling tours into the APY Lands as the Mt Davies Road, always challenging, is heavily overgrown and the tracks to Surveyor Generals Corner are not in great condition and the same of the old gunbarrel and into the Musgrave Ranges

Non of this is actually bad news as it offers everyone a chance to see the outback in a completely different light. So have a couple of back up plans and just enjoy whatever nature delivers

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 410689

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 21:09

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 21:09
I would be very surprised if the northern Eyre Creek Bypass is not open in July. Last year it opened on May 14.
FollowupID: 680585

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:13

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:13
Rob,
From memory the 2004 flood didn't get past Lake Hope - this one will and it may eventually put a splash into Lake Eyre. Some info at last week's club meeting was that Coongie Lake track is unlikely to open all the way until December - the working bee at Kudrimitchie is in doubt.

Mt Davies Road would not have been affected by the recent weather. GVD absorbs any rain in quick time - no rivers is a plus!

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 680601

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:32

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:32
2000 was the big one wasn't it?
FollowupID: 680606

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:37

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:37
Gday Dave,
Working off memory, 1990 was the last time the Cooper water crossed the Birdsville Track. Its a rare event (unlike the filling of Lake Eyre, which is a common event!).Cooper creek has many lakes to fill before it reaches the Birdsville track, and Lake Hope, which is east of Mulka Station is where the water stopped in 2004.

In 2000 there was a very good filling of Lake Eyre, but it didn't come from the Cooper. There were big floods west of the Lake (I remember the Stuart Highway was washed away in places), so the Neales, Macumba and Warburton creeks supplied that water. 2000 was magic as we were fortunate enough to do a guided tour from Muloorina Station - up the Babbage Peninsula. Pity regular access can't be had there.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 680674

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:44

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:44
Dave,
This diagram courtesy of the Lake Eyre Yacht Club is interesting. Second half of it graphs where the water came from.
http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Photos/FloodGraph.jpg
FollowupID: 680678

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 02:53

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 02:53
Phil, I see you mention a lake on Mulka station.
We spent a few days at Mulka in 94 with a shagged holden and the owner was showing us his equipment he had invested for massive catches of Callop in a nearby lake.

He was initially allowed to net these callop which had been washed down into the lake but was stoped by the powers that be while they
"investigated the sustainability" of the fisherie.

of course the lake dried up and he has a pic of him standing in the middle of the dried out lake with a massive ring of dead fish higher than him.

He reckoned due to changes made upstream the filling of the lake and with fish would never happen again.

I found the story very interesting
FollowupID: 680860

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:27

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:27
Gday Davoe,
Yep, that sounds like Lake Hope. I was a participant in a 4wd trip through there in 1999 - bone dry. Theres a tree there that was blazed my McKinley when he went in search of Burke and Wills. A few years after we were there, the station was sold to a big company and access to Lake Hope was an issue when it filled in 2004.
FollowupID: 680957

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:36

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:36
We'll have a better idea in a week or so, as to how things are going to pan out....

Ya'all might like to keep a close eye on this fella here >> BOM satellite image

Any half-decent rain at all south of the Barkly & Flinders H'ways will have a significant impact on Eyre Ck and Diamantina River flows...

The upper Thompson R catchment got some moderate falls from the remnants of Ului.. Not enough to cause significant river rises (don't think it even made the news;-), but it's just that much more water that has to make it's way down the Cooper Creek... If this area should happen to get any rain from the current developing system, well, we'll wait and see...........

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410717

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:50

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:50
Here's the radar image >> Site Link

Looks like she's startin' to spin......

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 680610

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 08:16

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 08:16
Yes it looks like it will be a watching cross the fingers game :-)

I have been watching the BOM site - Good to know the Flinders/Barkly Hwy is the rough catchment line.

At this time the Low has quite a good spin...good enough to be called a cyclone by now I would say - they are certainly coping the rain up there over the last day or two.

It is affecting the East Coast as well we had 138mm last night. We have had 1800mm so far this year

Cheers tony
FollowupID: 680643

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 18:21

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 18:21
Just got a call on the sat phone from the boss he is currently on the QAA line west of Eyre creek, very boggy around lake Poepple & the K1 lake area.

Also found it hard to see the track across the French Line.

AnswerID: 411092

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 19:34

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 19:34
Thanks for the update Jeff - I am still watching were that cyclone is dumping :-)

I always found that one of the benefits of living remote - When others are unable to get there you can still go out and have a play :-)

Cheers TONY
FollowupID: 681155

Sponsored Links