border track

Hi all,just became freeed up for easter so decided to do something on our own, border track not to far away, so am wondering has anyone been through there recently and is it possible to tow 6x4 camper trailer.Is one vehicle travelling on its own through there advisable,thanks peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:16

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:16
It's a challenging drive in places if towing. Hasn't been any rain for a while so the sand may be a little soft. There are however chicken routes around most of the difficult stuff. If you have a powerful high clearance 4by & the offroad trailer is not too heavy it is passable. As for travelling alone that's OK if you have a plan for self recovery.
May see you up that way. We'll be on the Border Sunday. (Red Wrangler)
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 410639

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:41

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:41
"Our own Border Track", so you are a SAussie.

This track is longer than most think, beginning near/at the Murray River and going on well past Bordertown.

Most of it is not too bad, even near the Vic camping (cant think of the name of the top of my head) ground there is a way around the big sand hills.

There are camping areas, e.g Pine Soak Hut, Pertendi etc where you could camp do the driving and then move on via the bitumen.

You can enter Ngarkat near Baan Hill camping ground & as someone else sd, big 4x4 could get out, but to play safe come out the same way.

Great country.

Whilst I have been through all of this (& it was a few years ago now), I was not towing, so someone else may be better informed than I.

Enjoy.

Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410718

Reply By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:19

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:19
The one way section is closed during the fire danger season every year which ends on April 30th in SA. It may pay to ring the local NPWS office to find out if it is open or not.
AnswerID: 410754

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:49

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:49
SA National Parks site
The Border Track in Ngarkat Conservation Park will be closed from 1 November 2009, and is expected to reopen on 1 April 2010, due to the fire danger season. For any enquiries, please call the Murray Mallee Office on (+61 8) 8576 3690
The way I read it, the Border track should be open for Easter. With light rain in the area today the fire risk would be minimal.
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 680828

Follow Up By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 22:33

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 22:33
Bugger, I expected it to reopen end of April would of headed there over Easter if I knew this was the case.
FollowupID: 680846

Sponsored Links