Going to Fraser in 3 weeks

After my last post about a possible day trip to Fraser and the potential to see very little of the island in the 8 hours we would have there I have convinced SWMBO that a Week there is better than a week at Cooloola...Yeehaa.

Now I am running around like a headless chook making plans and preparing for what should be a great trip.

We are a family of 6 the 4 kids are all young uns so dingo safety is a concern, we are leaning towards camping at Dundubra as it is fenced and far enough up the island to avoid the worst of the crowds (Or so we hope lol) and close enough to enjoy the attractions on the south of the island.

We are looking for some advice on what recent conditions are like on Fraser or what we may expect to find at that time of year, it will be a week after the Qld school holidays are finished so maybe a little quieter???

What are the grocery prices like on Fraser and what is the range and supply like? Should we take as much food as we can carry or buy it there, what is the price of fuel like? We have a Pajero that has a 60l LPG tank as well as the standard petrol tank. we will fill up at Rainbow beach but realise that fuel economy will be less on sand than the but how much less? We will also be towing a trailer.

Questions questions questions....

Sorry to be a pain but we are excited and nervous, we are new to 4wd and camping, this will only be our third trip but we are already hooked.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:41

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:41
Buy food and petrol there LOL . Are you a millionaire ? Eurong has a bakery and a general store and sells fuel . You can get milk and bread , paper etc there . I suggest taking a portable compressor , long handled shovel , snatch strap as a minimum . Read the dingo advise here fraser island conditions report
I have stayed at frasers at cathedral beach before . It is a private camping ground with amenities but not fenced off . Only heard dingoes at night walking by the tent . Its private so you just pay there camping fees not the qld gov camping fees . You will need to buy a monthly pass from the rangers at rainbow and camping permits . Watch the many youtube videos about fraser and you will get an idea and you will have an absolute ball when you get there .
AnswerID: 410646

Reply By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 13:44

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 13:44
Hi Guys,

Cathedral Beach is a nice place, and set back from the beach avoiding the wind. You can always head down to the beach and find a nice spot to set up a vehicle awning during the day.

A slingshot will scare the dingoes off.

The fuel and food prices are high so take as much as you can.

Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 410657

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:28

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:28
Hi

I think Waddy point, top camping area is the best spot.
Nice and leafy coin operated showers, fully fenced, and best of all the back packers don't go that far.
The tidal pools on the beach are great for kids to swim in and protected from the wind.
And you can do day trips from there, may take a little longer.
Fuel,basic food and ice available at the Orchid beach store.
You will pay a bit more, but last time i was there the fuel was the cheapest on the island.
Best to take all the food you will need if possible.Don't take fuel to save a few bucks.
And it is a good excuse to go for a drive to get more food and beer if needed.
Eurong has the best shop and a bakery as said above but can be busy with bus loads of tourist.
I fill up fuel at Rainbow,and drive up to Waddy and then run on petrol and save the LPG for reserve for the run back to the barge on the last day.
Expect to do about 800klm + if your ther for 5 days.
Waddy is about a 2 hour run from the barge around hook point.
Leave early and your there buy lunch with time to set up.

A must let your tyres down to 18psi and the trailer 18 or less and you will be ok.
You wont need a compressor just pump them back up at Rainbow.
The track around Indian head can be soft and the middle rocks beach to the champagne pools.

With a trailer don't be shy on the accelerator when leaving the hard sand to the softer exit beach tracks keep the momentum going and don't stop.

If you find your self getting bogged let more air out and that means the trailer as well.
A good 9 ton snatch strap or two and a long shovel minimum and a tyer pressure guage.

Search this site waddy point top camp area / waddy point / orchid beach
photos and info.

Rob.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410694

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:13

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:13
Another vote for Waddy!

We did a week up there first week in Feb just after the holidays and it was great and we had the whole camp ground pretty much to ourselves. We did around 900km's on the Island and my fuel consumption was around the 32l/100km. The shop is only a 10min drive from the camp ground where you can get fuel and basic supplies. Unleaded was 1.80 p/l and diesel was the same price ice was around $3 a bag which I though was very reasonable for where you get it from.

Go and enjoy
AnswerID: 410884

Reply By: chisel - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:49

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:49
I think dundubara is a good option. It is a little more central than waddy pt especially if you want to see things towards the bottom end of the island.

You can get a few basic groceries at Eurong and there's a bakery. I'd take as much food as you can easily carry but wouldn't worry about running out. There are a couple of other very small shops there as well (Happy Valley, Cathedral beach and Orchid beach).
Google "fraser island derm conditions" for road conditions report.
If you're outside the school holidays it will be quiet although you still have the hoards of backpackers to contend with.
AnswerID: 410890

Sponsored Links