Long range tank queries..

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 01:20
ThreadID: 7729 Views:1887 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, we are thinking about replacing the 50 litre sub tank in our 80 series diesel with the ARB 170 litre long range tank, and I was wondering how the fuel gauge responds as you're driving; does it drop gradually as the fuel is used or does it start reading the last 50 litres? Are there any potential problems we should be aware of, other than the cost?? I thought we could use the 3 jerry can spaces on the trailer for water rather than fuel on bush trips. We had polyairs fitted on the back recently and I'm very happy with how they support the weight and help reduce sway. Any comments would be appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 06:26

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 06:26
Nigel,
I have the 170L as a L/R tank in my #80.
My dashboard gauge reads only the main tank and the overhead gauge the 170L tank.
DB
AnswerID: 33408

Follow Up By: Nige - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 08:10

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 08:10
Hi DickyBeach Does your overhead gauge read the amount of fuel as you are using it? I guess what I'm wondering is do you always know approximately how much fuel you have in the long range tank?? Thanks, Nige.
FollowupID: 23980

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 08:16

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 08:16
Nige,
There's a button on the dashboard to transfer fuel from the LR tank to the main tank and in my #80 it appears to transfer about 75L at a time and taking about 30 minutes to do so.
After the first such transfer the overhead gauge shows no change but after the second such "75L" transfer it then shows about 1/4 of the LR tank as remaining.
Interestingly, if you fail to hit the transfer button, fuel is nevertheless taken from the LR to the main tank. I once deliberately allowed the main tank to run dry to see what my main tank range was and when it reached impossible numbers I realised the system is designed to not let you run out of petrol whilst ever there is petrol in the LR tank.
Hope this clarifies,
DB
AnswerID: 33410

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 00:51

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 00:51
I have LR tank in my 80 Series (Std) and fuel gauge doesn't move until 50 litres left in tank. You can make adjustments and the ARB kit will explain what to do. I just couldn't see the need or be bothered. I too had polyairs before the tank.Allyn
Where to next ?
AnswerID: 33455

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 14:46

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 14:46
Gday Nige
The Out Of Town 170 tank (ARB?) is a work of art, my cruiser is petrol,(cant use from the rear but pump over to the main) and i put it in second hand, (so i payed particular attention to the fuel gauge setup) and find it to work well accross the range with a 30 litre deadband below empty. If you stipulate to the fitter that you will be back for an adjustment if it isnt right, he might try harder the first time. It is not IMHO that hard to get it in the ballpark. What has to be done is a bend has to be made to the float arm assembly because it it moved from ontop of the tank to infront on the drivers side. Once in, driving past servos is easy in the petrol:-)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 33481

Sponsored Links