Canning Stock Route

Hi all. Has anyone heard of anyone attempting the Canning Stock Route on a four wheeler ATV? If you were fully prepared and had a support vehicle, surely it's do-able.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:51

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:51
Read a book about one very fit,brave ozzy lady who did it on a bicycle .Amazing story.Just can't thnk of the lady's name.Sure impressed me as an amazing adventure story.Perhaps someone can help with a link.Get an idea of what a slow trip would be at least.
It's a great read anyway!
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410937

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:57

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:57
I gota ask....why..??..

Maybe just bum a lift in the "support vehicle", leave the paddock buggy at home and enjoy it as a normal safe friendly trip along the CSR with the rest of us....
AnswerID: 410941

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:59

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 19:59
NNF
It would be possible to do the Canning on a quad but it would have its difficulties. The reason is very similar to the problems encountered by two wheel motor cycle riders. Scrub on either side of the road and the shrubbery in the middle of the track. I have one of the biggest quads available (and bigger than the largest models available in Australia) before moving to a larger vehicle like a Prowler or similar and its wheel base is still not great enough to comfortably straddle the middle mound of the track. As a result, you would constantly be dragging yourself through the spinifex and scrub in the middle or having one wheel on the centre and one off to the side of the track. Locally available models are even smaller compounding the problem. This made it particularly difficult in narrow track crossings of desert areas. It isn’t so bad with a sandy track but once you’re in in form of scrub, it’s a nightmare. You will be constantly wrestling the steering and of course there are the attend hazards of the constant velocity bearing seals and tyres being exposed to nasty sticks and stakes.

Yep, doable but it will be a long, slow and arduous trip where the going would often be easier off the track than on!

Cheers Mick

Remote Quad bike exploration - Video

Image Could Not Be Found

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410942

Follow Up By: Bren1 - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 21:40

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 21:40
Thanks Mick,

Very good point regarding the width of the wheel tracks, too much of that would make it difficult.
Thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 680991

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 20:24

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 20:24
I reckons it's doable - I've only driven mine from Well 33 to the turnoff to Helena Spring between Well 41 and 42 and then rode to Helena spring and beyond into God's own country (one part of a much larger journey). I had a support vehicle (one cruiser ute)

Image Could Not Be Found

However when you want to load the quad back on the back of the ute there's not a lot of room left.

Image Could Not Be Found

A full trip report on the entire journey is here:
David Carnegie Retracing Expedition 2003

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410953

Sponsored Links