Simpson & north east S.A.

Submitted: Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 21:26
ThreadID: 77298 Views:3201 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
My brother and I are supposed to be heading from Brisbane through Innamincka and Birdsville to the Simpson and around Lake Eyre to the Flinders in early May. Can anyone offer some experience with the flood waters out there? Are we really expecting the area to be closed into May or can it dry out before? Assuming no further rain...

Please advise as I can't comprehend this amount of water simply sitting there for another 6 weeks. Also what are peoples thoughts on the level we could expect in Lake Eyre?

Cheers,
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 22:14

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 22:14
I'm a simple country boy, but were'nt you going down the CSR?

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 410973

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 07:59

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 07:59
CSR? I"m guessing thats the Canning Stock Route? No not me, must be someone else....

Steve
FollowupID: 681038

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 22:23

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 22:23
Hi NNF, you have posed a series of complex questions many which have already been discussed on the last 3 or 4 pages of the forum. SA Transport seem to have singled out May 7th as the day when NE SA roads will reopen. Thats just 5 and a half weeks for the floods to drain away, roads to dry out and be graded and rolled etc. As for Lake Eyre a wild guess would be about 1 metre compared to 1.6m in 2009. See pix at Wrightsair and Lyndhurst Hotel...W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410974

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 22:43

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 22:43
Gaday Steve. Here's my educated guess :-)
I'd expect if there is no further rain that the Eyre Creek detour will be opened mid to late May (ie: 60+ km detour). Track damage & pools of water will remain for several months.
The Rig Rd via the Warburton crossing is unlikely to dry out again this season so wouldn't be planning anything on that route until at least September/October.
Walkers crossing wont open this year.
A small amount of water will cross the Birdsville track on the Cooper.
Lake Eyre will see a shallow amount of water, a little less than year that will be difficult to see from any 4x4 access. In early May an expensive plane flight will get you a look at a big puddle :-))
Have fun.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 410980

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:57

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:57
Hi Steve
We were in the same situation last year with basically the same route as yours.
As Eyre Creek was not open when we left, we ended up reversing the trip.
By the time we got to Mt Dare there were reports that the by-pass was open. If we found it was closed we would have either turned around or traveled up the Hay River Track.

So it may be an idea for you to consider, reverse your trip to give the flood waters more time to settle down.
Chris

Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 411024

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 14:40

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 14:40
Thanks Chris, we are considering doing just that so there is a chance we'll escape via birdsville at end of May. Entry is via Broken Hill to the Flinders Ranges.
Steve
FollowupID: 681091

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 16:15

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 16:15
Steve, I have no idea what you plans are, but as an alternate if you don't need to go via Broken hilll, you could go to the Flinders via Camerons Crn then down the Strzelecki. Track. Just a thought.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 681112

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 16:49

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 16:49
Chris, We wanted to go through the corner as an entry or exit to Birdsville via Innamincka or from the Strez after the Flinders but now fear the area will still be impassable in a month or 2. That's why plan B was to go so far south as to avoid the wet spots hopefully.
Steve
FollowupID: 681123

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:33

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:33
Will there be more rain in the outback areas? Will the rivers and creeks start to loose their flow by May? Will the roads, tracks and crossing be open by May? You are really asking questions that no mortal human can answer. I suggest that you try asking the Almighty. That's really how uncertain nature is and can be. Good luck.
AnswerID: 411034

Sponsored Links