Heading North along the GNHighway

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 14:04
ThreadID: 77314 Views:2945 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundG'day all

I've on just made the return trek back to Newman from Dunsborough all up 2953 Kilometres travelled, sustained one puncture in the Bridgestone Desert Duelers by a pencil thick Mulga twig, but thank fully the on board tyre pressure monitoring system alerted me to the air loss, before it became a lost tyre !!

The southern highway and road systems are envyable, but this post is mainly an up date on the Great Northern ~ Shame ~ Highway.

To call it the GREAT NH is bending the truth ~ its a road and for the huge amount of traffic it carries the GNH is far behind any highway down south.

There are major road works being done on various sections of the GNHighway, from Midland to the first turn off to Wongan Hills, heading north to Mount Magnet and beyond. Much of the work is "New" but there are several sections of rework?

There is evidence of storm damage suffered during the very recent storms that hit Perth this month, with large trees downed and flood damage along various sections of the GNH, between Chittering and Dalwallinu.

Further north from Wubin no real visible storm damage, but the rains have bought on the new green grass growth, which has in turn bought the grazing animals out of the scrub right to and onto the highway. Cattle, Emu, Roo and wedge tailed Eagles the feed off the carrion.

I travelled the northern section from Meekatharra to Newman at night and managing to get home unscathed ~ lots of CB radio talk about grazing cattle along the unfenced sections of the trip home, dead cattle to within 3k'ms of Newman and not a light coloured one amongst the buggers, even with HID headlights and HID driving lights the brown and the black beasts were next to impossible to see easily, full moon and all.

Lake Nallan north of Cue is brim full of water, it should be less brown by the Easter weekend, but sadly access to the treed in areas to the back of the lake have been restricted by the cutting in of deep drainage channels.

The lake surrounds were spongy, but I guess it would dry out by Easter, if you intend on staying there, keep back from the lakes edge.

Huge amounts of heavy haulage transport of mining gear and roadtrains one after another at speed, be prepaired to be bombarded by roadside crap as these big buggers come past you. I hope some of this information assist you if you intend on travelling to the Pilbara and beyond in the comming weeks.Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 19:55

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 19:55
Hi Joe

I love the Great Northern Highway drive, although i have only ever gone as far as Karajini turn off north of Newman. We never drive in station, kangaroo or camel country at night. Cattle and horse always seem to be black. It does carry more road trains than the coastal highway but has much more scenery.

We stayed at Lake Nallan last year, and workmen had to wait for us to leave before making barriers to stop access to the 'centre' (semi island) section to avoid disturbance to wildlife. They did say that some campers were leaving an appalling mess despite bins being provided. It was possible to drive to the back of the lake as some did when we were there. There was no mention of closing that.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 411101

Sponsored Links