Were"s the track gone

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:40
ThreadID: 7734 Views:2319 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from a 2 week western nsw wanderings had a great trip. Spent a day at menidee grass lakes and had a look around kinchega nat park . then went to mutawinji nat park.We did the Aboriganal guided walk well worth it to learn the local history. Then the heaveans opened up and as you know you dont moove until they reopen the roads. The ranger was good value comming around to have a chat. She must be one of the few aboriginals dead scared of snakes. Then off to white cliffs what a spot good fun the high lite was jocks place. Another high lite was the jump up loop tracks to camerons corner. had a few days around that area. Then the fun started going to do the border track to broken hill from fort grey followed the maps every type of map . We went south of winathee station for about 25ks and sould have been getting near smithville house but the track just disapeared we had 2 gps and compass and had the track spot on to the bearings in three diferent spots in a 5k radius . We spent about 4 hours trying to find the way further south but no luck. So we back tracked to winathee station and bumped into a farm hand fixing the fences he recons the track hasnt gone through for a few years. So it sounds like another trip coming up next year we are going to give it a go from the south. The out back was in its best with all its colors and sights. This was a trip with a few freinds and a good time was had by all.
All the best
Eric
4x4 tag along adventures
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:44

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:44
Eric,
you should have crossed into SA at the Smithville House gate and headed south that way, re-entering NSW at Broughams Gate.Bob
AnswerID: 33420

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 12:17

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 12:17
Bob the only problem with that is we were north of that at winathee st heading south as per the outback nsw hema map and other topo maps. The only gate near us was the hawker gate and it was locked.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
FollowupID: 23988

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 13:54

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 13:54
Eric,
Make sure you pass on your map errors/findings to Hema as they are very pro-active about taking updates from travellers - even better if you can provide them with OziExplorer plot files.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 24032

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 17:22

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 17:22
How are you Michelle ? We had a ball trying to find the other end of the track.We were thinking of letting hema know but first I was going to see if we just had it wrong or had it disapeared. The fellow fixing the fence said it hadnt gone through for a few years maybe he was wright.
An explor ozer said he had done it but I cant remember who he or she is.
All the best
FollowupID: 24036

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 17:38

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 17:38
Bob i have just gone through the archives and I think you did the same track last year . If it is you did you go through smithville gate them follow the fence or the track that heads NE to winnathee station because that track dosnt go through any more. As I said we had 2 gps and as per the topo maps of the area we were spot on in 3 places .
All the best
FollowupID: 24039

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:38

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:38
Bob I have found the problem the current topo maps of the area are out of date . But the current hema out back nsw as of last week have deleted the track we were trying to follow. The topo dsent have the track following the boarder.
All the best
Eric Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 24127

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 20:36

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 20:36
Eric,
we headed north in SA from Broughams Gate, and got as far as the Yandarma Ck which was in flood. We had to double back and go through the gate at Smithville House. Had the track across the Yandarma been navigable we would have either crossed back at the Hawker gate (if it wasn't locked), or pressed on further north toward Cameron Corner. As it was the road in NSW was barely passable as we had to cross the Yandarma Ck anyway. I can email you a section of the current 1:250000 map if you like.Bob
FollowupID: 24431

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 20:26

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 20:26
Bob if you could send me that it would be apprciated. I found the problem with the maps we had both topo and standard were both out of date by a year. The newest western Nsw has gotthe track we wanted to do deleated. The track that we sould have done was along the border south of hawker gate. We were told by the fencer fellow that that track was not allowed to be travelled . But its now the marked track to do on the map. Looking back we should have done that track down the border south of hawker I think the fencer meant the matinence track. At the time we didnt want to upset any one as he said the fellow that looks after the track would have our b-lls The good thing is we are going to try next september school holidays . This time we are coming from the south.
All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 24529

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:38

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:38
My recollection is that access was stopped about 10 years ago. Not sure, just my recollection.
Phil
AnswerID: 33471

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 17:26

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 17:26
Phil by the sounds of it your memory is not fading. If possible can you remember any details because we are going to give it a go next year from the south. Also I asked a few locals in silverton they didnt even know you could go all the way through.
All the best
FollowupID: 24038

Sponsored Links