Simpson Desert Opening

When will the National Parks open up the Simpson for crossing?
We are hoping to go to Alice for the Finke Desert Race. Do you think it will be open in late May, or do we need to instigate plan B?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:17

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:17
Stupid Question.
I just found a thread already asking the same question.
Peter
AnswerID: 411240

Reply By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:21

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:21
read thread 77323 And check the photos you might have to go to plan B other than that just ring NPWS good luck Hayd & Jude
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 411241

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:30

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:30
Or ThreadID: 77298.
For any outback trip it pays to have a few alternatives & not just plan the one route.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 681332

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:48

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:48
aint that the truth Crackles

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 681337

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 08:19

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 08:19
You obviously didn't check with National parks before asking the question.

From their web site:
Closure of Simpson Desert Regional Reserve and Simpson Desert Conservation Park
Leanne Burch, A/Director of National Parks and Wildlife, has authorised the closure to the public the whole of the Simpson Desert Regional Reserve and the whole of the Simpson Desert Conservation Park from:

6 pm on Monday, 30 November 2009 to 6 pm on Monday, 15 March 2010

The purpose of the closure is in the interest of public safety as a result of anticipated high daytime temperatures likely to be experienced in the reserves during the closure period.

Contact Ranger for this closure is Tony Magor, District Ranger, Desert Parks District. Ph: (+61 8) 8648 5344.

In regard to a likely date for the flood waters to receed (which is probably what you meant but DINClosure of Simpson Desert Regional Reserve and Simpson Desert Conservation Park
Leanne Burch, A/Director of National Parks and Wildlife, has authorised the closure to the public the whole of the Simpson Desert Regional Reserve and the whole of the Simpson Desert Conservation Park from:

6 pm on Monday, 30 November 2009 to 6 pm on Monday, 15 March 2010

The purpose of the closure is in the interest of public safety as a result of anticipated high daytime temperatures likely to be experienced in the reserves during the closure period.

Contact Ranger for this closure is Tony Magor, District Ranger, Desert Parks District. Ph: (+61 8) 8648 5344.

Your question may have been more to do with 'when will the floodwaters receed' but then you DIDN'T actually say that. I don't think that even National Parks would be brave enought to try and answer that one. Who knows, with ex TC Paul still resulting in extreme rainfall in FNQ, even more water could find it's way down the rivers into the channel country. You might even need to go beyond Plan B into C, D, E or even F. Good luck.
AnswerID: 411257

Reply By: RobAck - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 18:45

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 18:45
Given the current amount of water in that part of the world I suggest your chances of a Simpson crossing in May are marginal at the least. At this point I can almost guarantee the Warburton will remain closed as it was last year so no entry or exit to the Birdsville Track. The amount of water coming down Eyre Creek along with the number of flood pulses on the way is a heck of a lot so based on over 20 years of crossings I suspect it will be June or July before it opens. But I am regularly wrong, ask my wife, so miracles may happen.

Our contacts in the area are many and we have privelaged access to information that only government agencies see. So we are well aware of the amount of water and subsequent damage that exists out there.

In short a Plan B as already recommended is a good thing to go with. Don't expect an easy run down either the Birdsville or Strazlecki Tracks as both are very chopped up, flooded and closed in many places. So keep an eye on the this link http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/pdfs/PARKS_PDFS_DES_PARKS_BULLETIN.PDF

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 411321

Sponsored Links