Brisbane to Cairns- Advice Please

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:04
ThreadID: 77362 Views:3323 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, Early in the new year( yes- school holidays, bad move maybe) i'm planning a big adventure of camping,fishing and scuba diving from Port Macquarie up to Cairns, staying as coastal as possible, and i'm looking for advice and ideas from Brisbane onwards. My first question is, if i go to Noosa, am i able to drive from there staying on the beach more or less to Fraser Island? ie through the Great Sandy National Park along the Cooloola Coast to eventually get to rainbow beach which i believe will then get me a ferry across to Fraser. I appreciate i may may not be able to drive directly on the beach all the way from Noosa, so if not, which roads or detours should i take?
I then after 3-4 days on Fraser would like to leave from the Hervey bay side and continue north to perhaps 1770/agnes water/deepwater n.p and eurimbla area for another few days. How's the plan so far? From there onwards, i haven't planned anything or anywhere, so please, if you have some good spots that aren't a secret, i'd be extremely greatful for any suggestions, in particular camping spots close to or on the beach. Still tossing up between a rooftop or oztent.
I have a Landcruiser Prado with brand new bf goodrich a/t tyres, with a lovell/bilstein suspension kit raised 2 inches. Although there are many more things i need to buy, i hope thats a good start as far as modifications go. Should hold up pretty well in the sand i hope. I could write for hours, so i'm gonna stop here and eagerly wait any replys from you seasoned experienced folk. Thanks in advance to anyone who may reply to this thread.
Cheers, Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:43

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:43
At that time of year from Rules Beach up through deepwater the roads may be flooded for weeks after rain. You can get back into the park from the Agnes end though and see it all.
Eurimbula wouls be good or the caravan park at 1770 (if not already booked out) The CP in Agnes just re opened after a few years so they might not be as crowded and on the main beach in town.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 411263

Reply By: luv2dive - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:53

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:53
Looks like my next mod is going to be the safari snorkel huh? i hear that's more or less the best one to get, for quality and looks( 99 prado snowy)not to mention the most expensive i think. They say you get what you pay for, but is really the case when it comes to snorkels? thanks for your reply and pics Dave.
AnswerID: 411268

Reply By: Member - Howard T (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:47

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:47
HI Peter
If you are travelling in school hols you may not get sites at Wreck Rock or 1770 Camping Ground as they are normally fully booked in that period.
There are 2 C/Parks at Agnes Water. One just re-opened up on the beach (bit exe but great spot) and one a few ks back.
Also Eurimbla is a great spot but be aware its Summer and if the northerlies are blowing the midges/sandflies are pretty thick. You should get a camping spot there.
If you have kids be very aware of the tidal flow at the mouth of Eurimbula. It can very dangerous and there has been some drowning there in the past.
YOu could also camp at Middle Creek. (The turnoff is on the Eurimbula track) but once again if the area gets rain it can be a bit difficult getting in there and the sandflies there are bigger than the ones at Eurimbula.
If you have got time you could catch the ferry at Gladstone and shoot across to Curtis Island. There are some nice camping spots over there.
Dont know too much about the Baffle/Rules area but have surfed and fished the Agnes area since the 70s.

Have a great trip it sounds pretty good.

Cheers
HowardT
AnswerID: 411273

Sponsored Links