Kalgoorlie/Esperance Bypass - follow up on thread 75720

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 19:56
ThreadID: 77380 Views:2935 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Following up on the above thread, we have just returned from our WA trip where we planned to bypass Kalgoorlie and Esperance on our trip to Harvey.

The Norseman/Lake King road was closed due to bush fires so we didn't get to travel that route in either direction. The recent rains in the area could have helped and that road may be open now. Checked with the Police at Norseman on the way over and checked with the roads department at Esperance on the way back. Very helpful. Missed out on Peak Charles but maybe next time.

Travelled in both directions on the Norseman/Hyden Rd. Great shortcut. Dirt road but easy 90-100k all the way. Half the road looks like it is looked after by local mining companies. Good camping at Lake Johnston and the Breakaway's. Saved about 200k via the Esperance route and 160k via the Kalgoorlie route.

Would recommend the shortcut if you don't need to go via Esperance or Kalgoorlie. Few road trains are using the route and I would imagine it may become busier once people realise how easy it is.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olddigger - Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 19:22

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 19:22
Hi mepvic. Thanks for the good advice, becos I want to try that route a bit later this year.
Do I understand from what you said that Norseman/Hyden link is do-able in a 2WD such as my 3.5L Magna Stn Wagon?
Hope you enjoyed Harvey. I grew up there in the 1950s and had a wonderful childhood.
Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 411448

Follow Up By: mepvic - Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 20:50

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 20:50
Hi Olddigger,

The road is as smooth as a baby's and easily do-able in a 2WD in the dry. Quite wide and straight with a few bends around the Lake Johnston area. We sat on 90 - 100 in 2WD without any problems. Going west we saw about 2 or 3 road trains. East bound we saw none

Even in the wet, I don't think you would have any problems.

Enjoyed Harvey especially as our 3 year old grand daughter is over there. Our son and daughter-in-law have a farm at Wokalup just south of Harvey. You would know that area well. Had a great 10 days with them. A lovely part of the world.

FollowupID: 681530

Follow Up By: olddigger - Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 02:57

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 02:57
Hi mepvic,
Thanks for that, which is what I had hoped for. I am getting a 4WD, but not just yet, so the Magna will do nicely (just had a Very Big Service and 4 new tyres on it, so I have an investment to recoup.)
Had a 50th high school reunion at the Wokalup Pub about a year or 18 months ago. Excellent day.
Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 681564

Sponsored Links