barra fishing tours, Darwin Help Pls

Submitted: Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:40
ThreadID: 77393 Views:3407 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
As some of you may have read below, we have just returned from being washed out at Roper bar. Have my dad up for a week and would like for him to have a good fishing experience whilst here. We have a nice trophy boat but are not yet familiar with the likes of Shady Camp, Hardy's Lagoon Etc can anyone recommend a good operator that does full day Barra charters? This would also give me some insight of where and how to fish these places in our own boat.
Thanks Lyndon
Ps, Fly fishing would be too hard, I’m happy to teach him how to flick a lure though.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 16:08

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 16:08
Shady Camp is a bugga of a place to launch as is all mud, well was when I was there recently.

Plenty of crocodiles in it too, I counted 62 at the barrarge tidal side one night just from the barrarge itself.
BUT.... there are some big fish in there too :)
Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 411424

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 01:10

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 01:10
Croc's...!!!! there's no Crocs at Shady Camp, well there can't be if a stupid sheila crawled around in the mud in Pink Bikini's and lived,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 681559

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 01:42

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 01:42
Maybe she was not on the tidal side?
anyone who has been there will tell you it is crawling with crocks on the tidal side of the barrarge, there are very many crocs in this photo
FollowupID: 681560

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 02:21

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 02:21
You probably didn't see the photo's in the paper.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 681561

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 09:24

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 09:24
Doug,
I didn’t see a mud flat at Shady Camp in the upper tidal area adjacent to the barrage, maybe it’s on the lower side?
This photo shows Shady camp @ ‘low tide’ with the same star pickets shown in both photos.
The 'camp area' is behind the trees on the right hand side.

Newspaper article states; “The fisherman said a 5m saltie had been lurking around in the area the same morning. Everyone knows that Shady Camp is the place with the *highest crocodile population* in the Northern Territory - you don't even dangle anything off your boat. Going for a swim is just incredibly stupid - 4m and 5m crocs are in the water everywhere"

The newspaper 'croc photo' indicates tidal sea water is flowing over the wall, to the lower side and the vegetation is also reminiscent of the lower side of the barrage, there are still plenty of crocs over there too

FollowupID: 681573

Follow Up By: Honky - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:44

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:44
A bit off topic but what is the story of the boat wreck at shady camp on the tidal side about 1kilometre towards the sea?

Honky
FollowupID: 681842

Sponsored Links