UHF Repeaters

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 18:44
ThreadID: 7740 Views:1266 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Yet another question! Can you tell me how far apart you need the radios apart in order to use the Repeater and how close do the radios need to be to the repeater for them to communicate (is it 200km)?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 19:29

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 19:29
fine then,,,

depends upon the topography and power of the individual repeater but it would be fair to say that in most cases the range would be less than 50kms
AnswerID: 33437

Reply By: JohnR - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 19:02

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 19:02
CJ, Chopper is pretty right, there are some varaibles though.

The quality of your gear ( gain and directional or omni) the mounting of the antenna, the locatiuon of your mobile or base. They are a little better than line of sight. That being said, I have spoken to Tasmania (Tasmanian repeater) from south western Victoria and have had good use of a repeater to cover 180 kms from point to point with one that used to be based in the Otways.

The distance vary so that there is extended range on the trailing edge of high pressure system, but can be shortened by rainfall, but good where the distance is over water. We hear a business 130-150 kms away point to point with no repeater in summer time to our mobiles (tractors and 4bys). Some other terrains restrict transmission too, as do radio and antenna faults!!!

AnswerID: 33487

Reply By: cj - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 21:24

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 21:24
Hi CJ, Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm cj. Just for the future if you see references to cj it may or may not be you or me or anybody else who has decided to use this name. Should make life interesting.;-)
AnswerID: 33515

Sponsored Links