Suspension Upgrade

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 18:54
ThreadID: 7741 Views:1733 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have a 1985 troopy. Since the addition of a 180L aux fuel tank
(petrol not diesel :-{ ), it sags at the back when loaded up for camping. I have had a chat to a few 4WD and suspension shops and the following options came up.

new heavy duty springs
add new leaves to the existing springs
poly-air airbags
adjustable air shocks

What is the expert consensus on the best option to take???

ALSO...
My wife and I (no kids yet) have ripped out the side facing seats in the back and we intend to put in some sort of storage system with a false floor so we can sleep on top. Premade _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx are too expensive ($1800-2400). Most of the posts so far have talked about fitting storage systems into 4WDs with "normal" passenger seating. Any Ideas?????

Thanks heaps....
Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ken - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 19:48

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 19:48
M & M

Have a look at post 7720 for your sag problems,

And

Post 7725 for suggestions on your storage situation

Regards

KR
AnswerID: 33439

Follow Up By: mikeyandmary - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 23:28

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 23:28
Hi Ken, thanks for the fast reply. I have read through earlier posts, including the archived ones. There is heaps of great information, but, especially for the storage issue I am hoping to find some responses/ideas that are more "troopy" specific. Thanks anyway for the reply...
FollowupID: 24019

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:06

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:06
M & M

I have seen a variety of storage setups in troopys iduring my travels. All coming from the owners imagination and inventiveness to suit their particular needs.

However in July this year (yep! 2003) I saw one in the Tibooburra caravan park which was rather unique.

This guy and his wife had just come in from crossing the Madigan Line so it was no bleep y machine or outfit affair.

He is like myself had vowed never to sleep on the ground again whilst there is a better alternative.

Anyway he had all his floor drawer and shelve storage space in there including the fridge, however ( I'll try and describe this so so can see it in your minds eye) he had a bed for himself along the the drivers side situated just below window level and for his wife he had this ingenious setup behind her seat.

They laid her seat forward and slid this ply board (5 ply) strip forward so that it attached to the dash (I think so from memory) or might have sat on the dash.

It was designed for her height. Now without meaning to be rude, to live in a troopy its more comfortable if you are of 'medium build'. Know what I mean.

His whole setup was removable and would not have cost all that much.

It might be what you have in mind.

He had other home made inventions in there for storage such as a laptop holder (also) dash mounted which I am going to pinch for my vehicle.

This might give you an idea or two.

Just remember we are only restricted/hindered by the scope of our imagination.

Regards

Ken

FollowupID: 24028

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 14:59

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 14:59
Gday
Good design i have seen is a false floor above wheelarch height with hinged lift up tops incrperated in this aswell as roll out _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx from the open rear doors.
The foam matress can be held up on the roof with a few jocks stretched accross from top window height if it is not needed.
At one stage, i had a short wheel base, and put in a false floor with hinged front flap that folded forward onto the backs of the seats to increase space.....rear doors are a beaut place to keep coffee etc if the insides are carpeted and the fold up workbench covers it when folded and secured up.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 33482

Sponsored Links