Charging deep cycle

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 07:28
ThreadID: 77441 Views:2267 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My question is can you charge a battery ( deep or otherwise) using a smart charger if power became available either genny or land line and continue to run the engel of the battery. I know it would be practical to put it on power as well but that is not my question. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 07:39

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 07:39
I've been using a Ctek like that for years and it seems to work fine.

Current battery is about 5 years old and still holding charge well. The charger runs through it's full cycle.
AnswerID: 411574

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 08:04

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 08:04
Short answer is YES , long answer brings into question size of charger and power draw of the Engle , bottom line is that charging the battery will take longer while drawing power from it at the same time. Other than that no drama.
AnswerID: 411576

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:02

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:02
No drama. As long as the charger puts in more power than the engel takes out.
AnswerID: 411604

Reply By: fugwurgin - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 13:35

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 13:35
as others have already said- YES
i charge my second battery in the back of my rodeo whilst the fridge is still running off it. i have a 105ah allrounder and a 10 amp 3 stage charger. It does take a bit longer but that to me is no hassle. I have it set to float at 13.8v, when the compressor on the fridge kicks in it goes back to absorbtion mode then back to float soon after compressor stops.
I also use to leave the aux batt connected to the main battery via the isolator, i noticed it would charge both batteries up at the same time. for some reason when i feed power back through the cable to the isolator from the aux batt end (via charger) it opens the circuit up. i would have thought once the main batt voltage drops to 12.8 (shut off voltage) that the 2 batts would be completey isolated but apparently only in one direction (main -> aux). I didnt realise this and cooked my main battery a few months ago because the charger was set to calcium-type batt and was outputting up to 16v (which is correct for the allrounder deep-cycle), but the wet cell up front didnt like it much. Just one thing to take into consideration i guess. Perhaps check to see if your isolator (if you have one) allows power to flow back to main battery.

hope that helps

cheers
AnswerID: 411617

Sponsored Links