fold up Tinny trailer DIY ideas ?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 18:14
ThreadID: 77456 Views:15983 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have a 12' tinny and Rhino boat loader, but am looking for ideas - pics. of any DIY type of folding trailer.
It will only be used to get the boat from caravan site to the beach or ramp nearby.
Not keen on the clamp on wheels.

I know there are several commercial options out there but at $1200 for the cheapest I\m sure someone out there has made something serviable to do the job for much less.
It will not have to be rego'ed as it wont be used on public roads. as I have a Dunbier trailer for that.
I have a mig welder and a fair bit of welding experience so that is no problem its just the design I'm after.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry 2 - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:21

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:21
Hi Hazo
I built a very simple boat trailer to suit my 3.7mtr stessel edgetracker it consisted of two pieces of 40mm box section. One piece cut to suit width of boat and wheels second piece cut to suit length of boat.Each piece has a flat plate 300mm x 100mm x 5mm long welded in centre of box section with wheels attached.
The other piece is welded across the draw bar length this enables you to bolt two lengths together with 3 x 13mm bolts.
I used two rubber wheel barrow tyres with stub axles and flat washers with split pins to hold in place. 3 small bolt rollers two on cross piece and one up forward on the draw bar to support front of boat.
The draw bar had a second piece of box section that slid inside main draw bar this enables you to extend the draw bar to twice the length to keep vehicle out of water.
When packed up it consisted of two pieces of 40mm box section, 2 x wheel barrow wheels which easily packed away on my pack rack or camper trailer.
I used it very successfully up cape york on the beaches.
It towed very well behind the L/C.
Sorry I can't post the photos and plans, if you want to give us a call 0409436081 with your e-mail address I'm more than happy to send them to you.
Hope you can make sense of my brief description, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words !!!!
Good luck with your project.
Barry 2
AnswerID: 411653

Reply By: JR - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 21:51

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 21:51
Yep I did similar except I used 2 x 25mm square pieces to triangulate the axle when swung into position
I also spend money on proper 9" alloy wheels and tyres
Im now working on making it fold as well as the front trailer winch and upright
Mine looks kind of similar to Real Ezy basic version. They sell some of the hard to get parts too which would be what Id do next time.
Probably cost under $400, and took a weekend to fit together. No welding required all bolt tegether so it can be adjusted, also welds are where rust will start.
AnswerID: 411660

Follow Up By: hazo - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 16:34

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 16:34
Thanks for the input guys. Think I too may go for the aluminium wheels and tyres.

I was unsure about 40mm SHS or 50mm but I always seem to over engineer anything I make!
I've already got all the rollers and brackets just needed push in the right direction to get me moving.LOL!
FollowupID: 681739

Follow Up By: JR - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 16:44

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 16:44
the determin ing factor for me was the availiable stub axle sizes,
Had to go with 50mm 1.6mm?? I think
Too thin for main beam but OK for axle, stub axles slide in and I have a pin to lock them and the 25mm angle braces in place
FollowupID: 681741

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:46

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:46
Hi Hazo,
I made a trailer for my 3.1 and with a simple mod it now fits my 3.75 it has a 2 piece drawbare and a 1 piece axle all made of 40x40x3mm I used 2x machined down stubs that fit in the 40mm axle and they carry an 8 inch alloy boat wheel,the drawar is joind using a machined down internal sleeve and the other bits like gaurds and winch bar are all the same 40 mm with 50 mm external to slide over the main frame its all held together with 10 or 12mm pins and R clipsno bolts needed ,it takes me 7 Mins to take off my rear bar on the van to ready for the boat,once it all worked to my likeing I had it Gal dipped and I regod it 1st go no worries it cost me about $300 plus rego to build ,I hope this helps a little .

Cheers.
FollowupID: 681808

Sponsored Links