Coromal Camper Trailers

Submitted: Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 16:31
ThreadID: 77468 Views:4695 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if someone could give me their opinion on a camper trailer.
I am looking at purchasing a coromal pioneer silhouette camper trailer just wondering what people think of them
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Effie C (NT) - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 16:52

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 16:52
Great we have a 2003 model 391 and a friend has the 421? we both just spent the weekend out at Ross River (NT) which involved towing both over the sandy river bend and of course across dirt roads. Both survied and had a great weekend. We previuously have towed ours up the centre and down across the east coast without any dramas (touch wood).
Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 411711

Reply By: fitzie - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 17:16

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 17:16
Have you done any modifications that you recommend
AnswerID: 411712

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:11

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:11
We have a Pioneer Silhouette 391 (2005) and it has served us well. The concept of the push out side kitchen and full height work benches is great. There's plenty of room for two adults and we have had a couple in for dinner as well. We use both the beds but there is plenty of room in the KS double for two; unfortunately I am a restless sleeper!

The main shortfall is that the waterproof plastic does not extend far enough above the bedding. When it rains, it is possible for the bedding to get wet due to "wicking" from the canvas bed ends. I have made up some strips of waterproof material to slip down between the canvas and the beds on the three sides that are affected at each end. This is OK but could have been prevented by better design. When it rains we do see a lot of moisture on the inside of the canvas over the kitchen extension. This does not amount to anything unless you have something touching the wet canvas.

The only failures we have had in five years have been a complete electric brake and lights failure due to broken wires. It was caused by stone damage on the Birdsville track. The wiring loom is inside a chassis member but the extreme showering by stones caused an earthing screw to break off and the wiring loom was dragged out and further damage occurred on the road surface. We have had some bad cracking on the plastic fascia of the Dometic fridge and we have broken one of the handles used to pull out the beds. The reading lamps over the beds are useless for reading because they are in the centre of the bed!

We take our van to plenty of off road destinations and feel quite confident with it. I have added a motion sensor switch to ensure the fridge only draws power when we are on the move. I have also added heavy duty wiring via an Anderson Plug to the van battery.

You need a certain degree of agility to clamber over the van packing the canvas down. We are getting a bit too old for that now and will probably change up to a full caravan at some stage.

Kingo
AnswerID: 411727

Reply By: ian784 - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:27

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:27
I had a Magnum 440 camper van which I towed around Aust thru the outback almost everywhere and to the top of Cape York and thu the Kimberly couldnt speak more highly Unfortunatly when I got back my friends son was playing in it and it burnt to the gound I went out and bought another Coromal offroad pop top and its just as good
Good luck
AnswerID: 411735

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 21:17

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 21:17
Lucky you. We would not buy another Coromal after the huge amount of money we have spent to fix it so that it is now a good van. Coromal did not want to know about any problems.

We can list them if you want.

Bruce and Di
FollowupID: 681778

Reply By: fitzie - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:19

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:19
It would be very helpful to me if you gave me a list of the problems that went wrong with it. What coromal camper was it?
AnswerID: 411830

Sponsored Links