OziExplorer tech question (again)!

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:52
ThreadID: 77495 Views:2934 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Have new set up in vehicle using oziexplorer and touchscreen, gave it a test run this Easter travelling down the border track.
We had not too many problems, and generally found it all worked well, but we now have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer.

Can you choose/select the moving map ? And if so how? We know that the program searches for what it thinks is the "best"map can that be turned off and we select the map we want to look at?
We wanted to mark some spots on the map ie, good camp spot, waterhole etc and did this by using the waypoint and then added a comment, we thought this would be saved to the map but it hasn't. What have we done wrong? Is there a better way to mark spots?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, hope all had restful Easter.

GN

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:25

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:25
Yes you can turn off that option to select the best map. It is in the config option, about the 5th tab along that says "searh for more detailed map" un cliick that
AnswerID: 411823

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:29

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:29
Thanks for that, have unchecked that.
I am currently reading through the manual to learn a bit more about the program, it is much more complicated than I first thought!!
Good excuse to go for a drive and give it another test run this weekend!!

Thanks again
GN
FollowupID: 681847

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:38

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:38
Sorry didn't read it all.

Also turn on the option to ask if you really want to exit as this will stop you accidentally turning off the lap top. Each item, way point, events etc use a separate file. It is not all combined in the track file (plt) so as you exit it should have asked you do you want to save the way point file etc.

So when you start the plt file (track file) you will also next time have to load the wpt file(way point) and any others you want. Events, Comments etc.

let me know if you want more details on this

Steve
FollowupID: 681848

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:10

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:10
Thanks again Steve

So when I want to load the plt file how do I go about doing this? Bit computer challenged at times.
I am assuming I have to have a specific map open or does the program find the map it needs?

GN
FollowupID: 681851

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:44

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:44
Hi GN
If you want to place a marker on the map for it to become permanent and show each time you open that map you will need to use the 'Position & Place Map Feature' button, the blue '12' just to the right of the waypoint button.
Unless you setup and load a project waypoints have to be loaded each time you open a map.
After placing anything on the map, waypoints, symbols etc. you need to save them. At the top right of the map you will see a row of buttons, these will turn red when you make changes to the map, if you click on the button that has turned red it will save that item, I find this the easiest way.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 411826

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:17

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:17
Hi Chris

I am just playing around with a practice map trying to see how this all works. Tried the blue "12" that will work much better for what we want.
Do you add a comment with this or just note down the numbers and enter them (the comments) later?
I see the buttons you are talking about but there is not one for the "12" or does it just save with the map button?

GN
FollowupID: 681853

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:55

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:55
GN
If you either right click or double click on the feature marker you can change the symbol. I use obvious things like tent for camping spot etc. and may add a comment as required. The other great thing about these markers is that you can attach a file or photo to open either with mouse over or attached to the map, this is also done in the property box.
Yes it is the map button, you will see the writting turn red when you add a marker, the same will happen if you add a waypoint for example the waypoint writting on the button will turn red.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 681858

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:21

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:21
Hi Chris

Amazing with a little bit of knowledge the whole thing is much easier.

Thanks for those tips, feel like I am getting somewhere, still got a way to go, but have managed (with yours and steves help) to put some marks on a map a save them succesfully. Simple things.........

Cheers
GN
FollowupID: 681861

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:52

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:52
To load the plt file you just need to go to the load option and then select load track file (multi) or some thing like that. Then as Chris say it it better to use the feature button to the right of the way point button. You can also attach files here. A picture of a sound file that you can set up in the route options to alert you to some thing, you can play with this later once your having fun.

I prefer to use a way point file for each trip rather than a project but ever one has a different opinion.
AnswerID: 411833

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:23

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:23
Hi Steve

Cheers, will have to try out the sound file thing (actually found where you can do that too), might just wait til I am better with the basics first.
Sure adds a bit of fun to the travelling.

Thanks for your help

GN
FollowupID: 681863

Reply By: Zebra400 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 04:26

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 04:26
Hi GN

You dont say whether you are using OziExplorer or OziCE. The menus are different for each one.

We did the Border Track over Easter as well, running Ozi & OziCE. Both performed well.

Sounds like you need a couple of Ozi lessons to get going. I did a quick training course on the border track for a convoy member running OziCE.

Laurie
AnswerID: 411897

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:18

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:18
he He, good idea. Pop over to Broome and I'll take you through it :-)
FollowupID: 681916

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:36

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:36
GN

I am not sure if the above explains that the reason for different files for waypoints, tracks, etc is that you can load them onto ANY map. If the position of a waypoint is on the current map it will show.

So even if you change maps but still of the same area you still have your waypoints.

Cheers

Alan
AnswerID: 411940

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:17

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:17
Good point and why the file was created that way, so you can load points into differing maps.

Another quick point. Remember to press the *show Track* button as well before you start so you can see the snail trail, this is off by default and some times I find that annoying.
FollowupID: 681962

Sponsored Links