Camping facilities at Lake Julius Qld

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:31
ThreadID: 77516 Views:9815 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The Handbag and I are thinking about going to Lake Julius nest weekend, but can't seem to find much info on the camping facilities.

Are showers and toilets available?

We are hoping the weather will be kinder than last weekend when we were at Kurumba!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 13:22

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 13:22
BooBoo,

All I can find is this mud map of the area.

Even looking on Google earth doesn't give any indication to the facilities there :(

Maybe you can take some Photos and update the entry in the EO places for it as well :)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 411948

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:54

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:54
I found this as well

"Lake Julius

Off the beaten track, 110km north of Mount Isa is the stunning Lake Julius, offering a perfect retreat for a bit of peace and quiet.

You can choose the comfort of air-conditioned accommodation at the Lake Julius Active Recreation Centre*, or camp at the camping ground with a view that will take your breath away.

The Recreation Centre* caters for individuals families and groups both large and small.

Canoe hire is available for those looking for a relaxing way to experience the lake.

* Please note that the Lake Julius Active Recreation Centre has been closed for contract maintenance and is not accessible to the public at this time.

Any enquiries regarding this centre should be directed to the Booking Officer by phone on 07 4095 8323 or by email to info.lakejulius@srq.qld.gov.au

The lake itself is open during Recreation Centre maintenance, however, it is important to check the condition of the access road, as it can, at times, become impassible.

For current road conditions, please contact Sunwater on (07) 4783 0555.

For more information, visit www.sportrec.qld.gov.au"

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 681956

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 10:21

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 10:21
Yeh, I found the same info and thought it looked good, still had a little niggle that something was not right when it said it was closed for maintenance.

So after I posted this thread I went to the Mt Isa tourist info centre, one person from the tourist info centre here wasn't sure, then another said its closed, so we are of to Boulia I think thats how its spelt.

I collect stubby holders, so I suppose its a good opportunity to get one from there.

Thanks for the replys fellas.

FollowupID: 682202

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:03

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:03
There were no camping facilities at Lake Julius in 2008.

Andy
AnswerID: 411960

Reply By: 98TAJ - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:25

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:25
Boo Boo,
The camping facilities at Lake Julius have been closed all that remains are the old donga's which are now used for the Sunwater people when out there for Maint. duties.
There is no over night camping available here as all the area's are signed.
You may wish to go into Sunday Gully which is a bit rough to get to if towing a van. Area will be muddy due to the high rain fall in area and the road in will be slow going as the recent rain will have washed out all the creek crossings.
Bush camping here with no facilities
Good fun if your into that sort of driving though.
Co-ordinates for the Sunday Gully Turn off are as follows.
54K 0374526
UTM 7755567

Didn't happen to hear of anyone picking up a double swag on Easter Monday in Karumba? We lost ours on the way home between Karumba and the Flinders River Crossing sth of Normanton.

AnswerID: 412013

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 10:24

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 10:24
No mate, we arrived on Friday and left on Saturday morning.

We then went back to Mt Isa, dropped the camper trailer and on Sunday went to Richmond. A great little place.

The pub crawl was fairly short as there are only two pubs in the town.

FollowupID: 682204

Sponsored Links