2 Disco's and a Prado CSR Willuna to Halls Creek

Just finished our second trip on the CSR our last was twelve years ago. The ten year old on that trip drove his own Disco on this one.
Twelve years ago we did the CSR in a disco TDI and a Cruiser, this year we did it in a TD5, a V8 3.9 and a Prado 120.

I don't remember the corrugations being as bad as they were this trip especially in the southern areas. The other issue we faced was no fuel drop to well 23 as they now don't start to May( I know they stopped them due to the truck from Capricorn catching fire) but its a major issue with a gas gussling petrol vehicle along).

So we carried a lot of fuel, the Prado comes out best with a 180 litre tank, he carried five jerricans two of which were petrol for the V8.
The V8 with an extended tank carries seven jerricans.
My TD5 with a standard tank(absolutely useless in Aus 95 litre) carries eight jerricans for both Diesels with a fudge factor to get to Well 33.

We made it..... just for the V8 running on fumes and the genny petrol.

Price of fuel for future campers is $3.20 litre for ULP and Diesel at the community.

Despite the experience of the various crew involved and the extended preparation we still copped a fair amount of damage to the vehicles as listed.
I soundly suggest anyone who does this trip, gathers all information available and thoroughly prepares their vehicle, most days at this time of year ar 45 Degree plus.

TD5
Both wing mirrors popped
Main battery died (the original so im not to fussed)(Thank you for Powerpacks)
Two Cooper S/T's burst on rocks (Not staked which was a surprise)
Trackmaster roof rack lost nuts and bolts despite continually tightening.

V8
Overheated due to Spinifex despite being cleaned out two hourly.
Scary petrol vehicles.
Holed exhaust
Lost taillight (recovered)
lost side inducator (masked in)
lost rear door trim (not recovered)

Prado
A/C compressor failed
Drivers side mirror smashed
Windscreen smashed (by sandflag pole no less)
Lost spotlight lens (not recovered)
Two Cooper ATR's holed in sidewalls by stakes,(we repaired one and it got staked again, repaired it again). Both will have to be ditched.
Rhino rack lost bolts despite continual tightening.

All in all we had a good time and even got some recovery practice in when I was lead on a claypan and while avoiding some nasty areas I put my disco down a ditch at a 45 degree angle.( My fault entirely).
It took all three of us to get me out (I count me as i was using my winch).

The redeeming factor was that the TD5 was the only vehicle to get over all dunes on the first attempt.

Crews consisted of:

Prado Tony and his son Tim
V8 Jake (Tonys eldest) and the Da (Bill a sprightly 73 year old)
TD5 Me, my partner Sharon and son Taye a boisterous 3 year old

We had a ball

TD5
Per Mare Per Terram

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:21

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:21
Hi Oggie, we're on our way to WA but not the CSR this time. With Da doing it at 73 there's still plenty of time for us.
Liked your report, but maaate what were you doing out there in the heat in March?... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412027

Follow Up By: Member - Oggie (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:24

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:24
Warrie

Age is no barrier, as long as you have the right mix. As to the temp...it was still cool of a night(even had to pull the sleeping bag over on a couple of nights) and we ran the cars A/c on A/c off and at the speed your traveling there was no value turning it off across our vehicle types.
My TD5 is chipped and it actually got better fuel consumption over the southern areas, The northern dunes really chewed the juice but were easier to drive over,,, just basically ticking over.
Per Mare Per Terram

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 682021

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 21:00

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 21:00
Thanks for the great write up. Are you doing more? Pics etc?

We are doing the CSR as it and Cape York are the last of the major tracks we have not done. We will also be towing our camper as we have through all the other tracks including the Simpson WAA-QAA-French line.

Do you have a blog of your trip with a bit more detail?

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 412032

Follow Up By: Member - Oggie (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:28

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:28
Steve & Viv

Pics to come and I'll detail more if you like, this was put together over a scotch and dry at the Halls Creek hotel. Were off to Broome tomorrow then back to Perth so ill Blog on my return.

Thanks for your comments
Per Mare Per Terram

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 682023

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:47

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:47
How is Justine (Owner of Halls Creek?) Shame I didn't read this earlier and while not always possible I would have taken time to buy you a beer while you were in Broome on the CSR, we live here..Look forward to seeing some more info.

if you can feel free to email me @ steveandviv10@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 682359

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:51

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:51
Hi Oggie
Yeah, brought back some memories reading about your trip. A mate and I with respective spouses did the CSR twelve years ago this June. Both had HZJ75 tray back ute's. The only vehicle problems were two slow leak punctures in mine and one in the mates, we both ran 7.50x16's on splits. The front shocky rubbers (new shocks before trip) on the mates turned to jelly rubber and we cut new ones out of the old conveyor belt he had on the tray. The CB mike connection on my two way had a bad connection after the corrigations around well 30. Other than that no dramas. We both carried 290 litres of diesel and had two 205lt drums from Capricorn at well 23. Way too much as it turned out.
As you said thorough vehicle preparation and a lot planning and no one should have any major worries. I hear the dreaded corrigations are a lot worse now because of the amount of extra traffic.

Safe travels

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 412049

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:58

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 22:58
Hi Oggie,

Your group must be one of the first through this year - Well done.

Did you see much water around?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412050

Follow Up By: Member - Oggie (WA) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:51

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:51
Hi equinox

Lots of water at the southern end prior to Well 5, funnily enough the claypans all the way were very dry and supported the heavily laden vehicles easily.

Only saw one other group on the track they entered at 33 and were going off at 23.

Savoury Creek was a nightmare last time and we did a 20 km detour, this year the crossing was bone dry although lots of water closer to the lake.

Per Mare Per Terram

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 682151

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:25

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:25
Oggie,

Great read.
Thanks for the heads up.
How many days did it take you?
Will be doing it in July.
AnswerID: 412070

Follow Up By: Member - Oggie (WA) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 22:09

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 22:09
Hi Richard

We did it this time with eight days on the actual track(I count well 51 as the end as its the last well although Billuna is supposed to be). We visited all the wells on my partners insistence even although some are really ruined.

I suppose later on it may take longer as the track gets cut up. One group we saw who were traveling from Well 33 to Well 23 were pulling a trailer, I hesitate to think what that would do to the run up to the dunes as most are switchbacks and not all give you an option to take a straight run.

Max speed we got up to was about 40kph and that was only on the flat sandy areas. My trackmaster put our average at 21kph,
Per Mare Per Terram

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 682155

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 14:29

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 14:29
Congrats guy's

I cannot wait to go there again, but at least 4-5 years away

Forget about the roughness, that's part of it, but the beauty of the place has to be seen..

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 412124

Sponsored Links