The Gibb is open as of today including Mitchell Falls

Thought I'd post this up as we have links to this...You can now get through the Gibb but there is still a lot of water about so take care
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: davekna - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 00:27

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 00:27
Hi Steve and Viv - I just got the main road report today and it said that the Gibb was closed from Mt Barnett to Home Valley - have also been informed that the Kalumbaru Rd is still closed and wont be open until about the 17th - also that people have tried to get into the Plateau and were turned back - (also rang DEC in Kununurra and was told that the Plateau is still closed) - so I dont know which info is correct?
AnswerID: 412061

Follow Up By: davekna - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 00:38

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 00:38
MAIN ROADS Western Australia
07 APR 2010 1430 HRS.DOC
TO: GENERAL PUBLIC
SUBJECT: KIMBERLEY REGION
ROAD CONDITION REPORT
WEDNESDAY 7 APRIL 2010 @ 1430 hrs
Wodehouse Street
PMB 959
Derby WA 6728
PH: 9158 4333
FAX: 9158 4334
ROAD CONDITIONS AND MORE ARE AVAILABLE AT THE MAIN ROADS WEBSITE
www.mainroads.wa.gov.au
4WD Vehicles are recommended on all unsealed roads
All motorists are to drive through mentioned areas with caution and obey road signs.
GREAT NORTHERN HIGHWAY ? Sandfire to Wyndham OPEN
BROOME HIGHWAY OPEN
DERBY HIGHWAY OPEN
GIBB RIVER ROAD – 4wd vehicles recommended.
Derby Turnoff to Lennard River OPEN – due to edge scouring extreme caution must be exercised when passing or pulling over for oncoming traffic on a single lane. Lennard River to Imintji CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES OVER 15T Imintji to Mt Barnett CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES OVER 15T Mt Barnett to Home Valley Station CLOSED Home Valley Station to Wyndham Turnoff OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC
Caution:
Please drive with caution when crossing the Pentecost River as it is at approximately 500mm and subject to tidal influence. Caution must be exercised at flood ways, scouring and debris at creek crossings.
Roadwork Advice:
Maintenance grading is in progress between Home Valley Station to Pentecost River East Kimberley and end of seal to Lennard River West Kimberley
VICTORIA HIGHWAY
Great Northern Highway turn off to WA/NT Border OPEN
Kununurra Diversion Dam
Motorists should expect delays from April to October 2010 when crossing the Kununurra Diversion Dam Bridge, during daylight hours as one lane will be closed to traffic for extended periods. Traffic lights will be used. Both lanes will be temporarily closed to traffic and traffic management will be in place. Oversize loads intending to cross the bridge during daylight hours should contact 13 13 75 well in advance of arrival. These vehicles will only be able to cross the bridge at daybreak or sunset each day.
Roads beyond the WA/NT Border
For information please refer to the Northern Territory Department for Planning and Infrastructure Road Reporting Service. For recorded information, telephone 1800 246 199 or visit the website: http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/
LOCAL SHIRE ROADS
For information regarding all other roads not mentioned in this report please contact the relevant Shire office:
Shire of Broome 08 9191 3456 Shire of Derby/West Kimberley 08 9191 0999
Shire of Halls Creek 08 9168 6007 Shire of Wyndham/East Kimberley 08 9168 4100
Disclaimer: Main Roads’ reports on road conditions are compiled from information available to Main Roads. Whilst care has been taken to ensure these reports are accurate at the time of publication it is noted that at times road conditions can be subject to rapid change and information on many parts of the road network is not always instantly available to Main Roads. The reports are intended as a guide only and with the expectation that road users will drive with due care and attention to the prevailing road conditions. MRWA gives no warranty or assurance concerning the accuracy, currency or completeness of this report and shall not be liable for any injury, death, claim, actions, damage, loss, liability or expense of any kind arising from or in connection with the reader’s use of the information provided.
FollowupID: 682031

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:16

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:16
This is the link to their later report Gibb River Road open, not Kalumburu according to Shire of Wyndham

http://standards.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR/mrwa/internet/realtime/TRC/RegionalConditions.asp?1
FollowupID: 682037

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:08

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:08
My Wife is the finance manger of the Broome visitors centre and they were told by DEC yesterday and that included Kalumburu. I suppose it's still best to check as it was only yesterday and they get daily up dates. There are load limits so not sure if that is causing confusion. She will check again today
FollowupID: 682058

Reply By: Guess! - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:26

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:26
I think I would be doing my own checking before believing anything you read on here! That way you get the right information!

Karen
AnswerID: 412144

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 19:42

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 19:42
Why!!!!

You have no profile got something to hide???
FollowupID: 682127

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:45

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:45
I have confirmed what I wrote. It was sent to the Broome visitors centre yesterday. I can give you specifics if you want. In any case it is all open and there is only 500mm in the Pentecost river. This info comes from the Main roads wa who call the shots. The Nat parks folk do not control the roads but a lot of people look at that. Fell free to ask for more info
AnswerID: 412194

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 06:48

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 06:48
Steve, I know the Gibb is open, but Wyndham Shire who control the Kalumburu Road and Mitchell Falls road have them as closed, can show me where to get more info. would be appreciated

I have been watching Main roads reports everyday, as we are coming up there
next month
Cheers
John
FollowupID: 682184

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:26

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:26
Your right, my bad...Was taking my wifes word but they were being a bit general. I also can not find if it is actually open or closed. I'm sure it will be in a Month. Can I suggest you ring the team at Drysdale Station as they will know for sure bing up that road on 08 9161 4326 or email at drysdaleriver@activ8.net.au.

Sorry if I gave you a bum steer. Come to Broome then and I'll buy you a beer :-)
FollowupID: 682199

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:17

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:17
I will have to give the beer a miss, as we are not coming to Broome this trip

Thanks for the offer and info
Cheers.
FollowupID: 682355

Reply By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 16:14

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 16:14
Just a follow up

The roads to Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu are still closed as per
the Shire of Wyndham's road report dated today