Cleaning Watern Tank on Camper Trailer

I need to remove my water storage tank and clean it out. What is the best chemical to use to remove any unwanted bugs etc. I gather you don't use this water for drinking anyway but I would like to be sure it is as fresh and clean as possible

Cheers
Wayne B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 16:42

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 16:42
I don't know about anyone else but I certainly use my water tank for drinking water.

The best thing for removing odours etc is ordinary old BiCarb soda.

Half fill the tank, mix up about 500 grams of BiCarb in a bucket of warm water then pour it into the tank. Then fill the tank to the top and leave it soak overnight.

Then flush it a couple of times with water. Now if you are on a town supply the water should have one or two ppm of residual chlorine in it out of the tap so that will also help to keep the tank hygienic once you have cleaned it out.

If the tank is grossly contaminated then ordinary household bleach at around 250millilitres to a full tank of water left overnight should clean it out OK. Do this after giving it a good flush out with water.

Algae needs light to grow, but some bacteria will grow in the tank given a chance.

AnswerID: 412138

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 16:51

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 16:51
Gday,
I put half a cup of chlorine in mine and bounced it around a dirt track for half an hour....then flushed it and did the bi-carb soda trick as above and bounced that around the track.......a good flush and never had a problem with it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 412141

Reply By: uneekwahn - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:45

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:45
Milton's sterilising tablets as used for baby's milk bottles.
AnswerID: 412146

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:57

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:57
Thanks Guys. I wanted to clean the tank because I just purchased the camper trailer and I dont know how long the water has been left sitting in the tank.

I have removed the tank and the water that was in there looked ok. However I have added Bi Carb and will leave it over night then flush out in the morning.

Thanks again

Wayne B
FollowupID: 682116

Reply By: john&thejayco - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 19:49

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 19:49
G'day Wayne,
what ever you do don't use that clr clean, I went fishing with some mates, out on the Barwon a couple of years back and someone had cleaned a plastic water container out with , and you couldn't drink the water out of it ,it even had a real strong smell. It might be fine in glass or other materials but not plastic.Luckily we had other water and the river water was ok anyway, plus we had some little brown bottles in the esky just in case.My father bought a fold up caravan that had the strong smell of stagnant water and he used a product from a camping store just called tank cleaner,and it took the smell away completely. Hope this helps.
Cheers.
John.
AnswerID: 412164

Reply By: landed eagle - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 20:45

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 20:45
I had a 'smoky' taste in the water in my tanks a while ago.Flushing tanks didn't make it go away.

Filled them with a powdered cleaner for home brewing bottles ( half a bottle of diluted powder in each tank).
Topped tanks right up and let sit for a couple of days. Drained,re-filled to flush,drained again then filled. Water tastes like water now some 6 months later.
AnswerID: 412173

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:01
Come on tell the truth you were just trying to smuggle liquor into the No Liquor Areas. LOL

FollowupID: 682140

Reply By: Spade Newsom - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 00:49

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 00:49
Not sure if it needs saying but make sure you use food grade hose to fill the tank. Garden hoses give the water a horrible taste.

I also use mine for drinking water.
AnswerID: 413092

Sponsored Links