Candon

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:07
ThreadID: 77564 Views:5165 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys.

After any info on Candon which i believe is on or near De Grey Station.Can you camp there and if so is the beach fishing any good.We may call in if its worth the effort.Have been told there may be an old jetty and some other history.

Regards Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:36

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:36
Think you may mean Condon?
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412193

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 00:02

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 00:02
G'day Graeme W.

You may well be looking for or asking about "Condon(s) Landing" just as ~ bungarra of WA suggests.

There is precious little left at this particular site on the Pilbara coast ~ on the DeGrey Station, if you get to visit the site, you may well make out the base footings of the old govenment bond store and thats about it, you will sight larger trees before you see anything else. Nothing exists of any jetty that may have been there.

Just be sure of the tides as you need to negotiate a tidal area before you make the Landing area. You will be on a working cattle station and you may well be challenged by the station manager.

Condons was an important place in the early years of the Pilbara, but the Port of Cossack was more favourable back in 1872, today its Tichella Creek or (Titchella) that brings the avid traveller and fisherman to this remote part of the Pilbara coastline ~ you need to be totally self sufficient in just about everything. The fishing is very good both in the tidal reaches of the creek and also from the coastal strip, you can walk/wade to a large rock out crop just off shore, but be aware of the tidal movements, you can get stuck on the outcrop between tides.

The highway turn off into Tichella is just North of the old Goldsworthy town/mine turn off, it is not well marked, its around 120ks Broome side of Port Hedland.

The turn off is on the LHSide through an open section of the fence line over a steel cattle grid ~ its a long rough sandy track in, but once there its all your to explore.
AnswerID: 412215

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 11:28

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 11:28
Some links to the history of this site.

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/collections/maritime/march/documents/No.%20128%20Condon%20Site%20Inspection%20Report.pdf

http://wa4wd.net.au/lonely%20graves/Condon%20Cemetery.htm

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/collections/maritime/march/documents/No.%20113%20Edith.pdf
AnswerID: 412247

Reply By: jezza68 - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:28

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:28
hi Graeme,

I also suspect you are getting mixed up between Condon at the mouth of the De Grey River and Gladstone which is on the coast North of Shark Bay.

Gladstone has the remains of an old jetty from the sheep days and is reached off a track near the 26th Parallel.

Sadly access to Condon and the De Grey Mouth has been cut off by the station owners.
AnswerID: 412553

Sponsored Links