Mice in Fowler's Bay?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 07:40
ThreadID: 77587 Views:3670 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are leaving for our western sojourn tomorrow with the first stop at Fowler's Bay. Unfortunately we have heard that there is a mouse problem (i.e. plague) there, does anyone one know if this is right? Caravan Park owner assures me there's not a problem, but suggested we carry naphthalene flakes to spread around the camper as mice will not cross the smell.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rip64 - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 09:49

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 09:49
Just left Streaky Bay C/V park a few nights ago and the plague is true, sitting outside van after dusk we had them running around our feet in annex, and yes they come with that mouse plague stink.Moth balls scattered around are supposed to be a deterrent ??
AnswerID: 412335

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff P (SA) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:15

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:15
Thanks Rip64, knew they were in Streaky, not sure about Fowler's, getting mixed signals. Yeah bloke at Fowler's C/P reckons they don't like the smell and won't cross a line of flakes, so I have bought the last two containers in Port Lincoln, had to go to 5 shops to find them.
FollowupID: 682351

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:07

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:07
hi jeff p
your kidding yourself if you think a line of anything is going to stop mice

they can jump up to a mtr plus along the ground and i have seen several jump down off things 2&3 mtrs no problems they have one thing on their mind --food--- food-- food
they will eat the wiring insulation under the bonnet of your vehicle
i kid you not
and cause electrical shorts it happened to us on two different vehicles but not straight away it occurrs when your somewhere on the track

they are very determined
little b----s

if you dont want to face them
put
km's between you and them thats the best advice i can give from my experience or put up with the consequences

or pray for 3 severe frosts -5 degrees in a row and only 12-13 deg day temp as well
that bumps them off big time that got rid of a bad plague years ago on our farm in w.a they cant stand the cold
cheers
and happy mouseketeering
FollowupID: 682362

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:45

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:45
hi jeff p s.a
in a nut shell
yes it's a nice spot without mice

the bloke at fowlers bay is a 2 legged mouse
he wants a bite of your dollars lol

and is trying to cover up so the tourist dont stop coming or he will get hungry ?

i recall mum having naptylene in several boxes of stuff and the mice ate the lot no problems

enjoy your trip and make a detour call there another time
cheers
FollowupID: 682367

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:02

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:02
I remember the great mouse plauges on the EP in the early 80s

theres no way onything will stop them under those conditions
AnswerID: 412345

Reply By: Member - Jeff P (SA) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 19:17

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 19:17
Thanks for the replies and follow ups, having lived on EP for 30 years I have a pretty good idea of what mighty mouse can do, depending on what time we get away Fowler's may well get a miss. No way there will be a frost etc there, too close to the sea. Head of the Bight might be a better option if we leave early enough.
AnswerID: 412425

Sponsored Links