gas on standard cruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 21:50
ThreadID: 77617 Views:2362 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a friend who has fitted LPG on his diesel navara. Is it possible to fit LPG on a standard dieseles cruiser and would it improve performance. Is this only possible on a turbo and if so is it
a good option
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 22:26

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 22:26
I did a bit of homework on this for my standard L/C and found that the 1HZ was one of the least to gain from gas, SOME T/D's (1HZ isn't) gained 30% plus where as the old 1HZ only had a claimed 10-15% in performance, remembering that 10-15% on top of stuff all, is still gunna be stuff all
My understanding also is, say you are getting 13l/100ks on straight deisel, with the conversion you may get only use 9 l/100 deisel PLUS 3l/100 on gas (=12l/100)
It can be done, but you will be up for spare wheel carrier ($1500) on top of conversion price, for me personally wasn't a very attractive option, others who do big k's may see benefits sooner and be happy with the out-lay
Shane
AnswerID: 412448

Reply By: racinrob - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:58

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:58
The subject of adding LPG to a diesel engine has been well covered on this forum and the general consensus was DON'T.
I have read several technical articles by people smarter than me who say the claims of a 25% increase in power and a similar decrease in fuel consumption are just not possible, do your homework David before you spend your hard earned $$$.

Rob.
AnswerID: 412462

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:35

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:35
Hi David,
Here is some info on my diesel / gas setup just in case it is of some interest.
vehicle is 96 80 ser. Cruiser Turbo Diesel with gas.

When I bought the vehicle in Dec 98 it was already fitted with gas over diesel but it had no discernable benefit that I could feel. I continued using it because it was fitted and I believe it reduced particulate matter coming from the exhaust and there was a slight improvement in engine noise. Perhaps due to slightly changed combustion parameters
But never the less a slight improvement over standard though in my opinion not worth the money spent fitting the gas. (around $4000 - I would suggest this was a high price.)

Then the diaphragm in the gas converter blew out. The converter is the gadget that turns the liquid LPG into a gas and reduces the pressure at the same time

Finally took it to the guy who designed this particular system, (located in Dungog NSW) for repairs and he replaced the converter, because they no longer fit the large one originally fitted to my vehicle, and downloaded the latest program into the setup and re tuned it.

Power is up considerably but it is too early to give fuel consumption figures as yet but as less throttle is required I guess less fuel will be used. I will post results further down the track.
I am very pleased with the performance

This vehicle now performs like a V8 petrol and in my opinion and is a real pleasure to drive.
The guys said that the installation had not been installed correctly and would never work the way it was set up. The guy in Port Macquarie who originally set it up closed up shop some time ago. So much for warranty.

The guys didn’t charge me for the work or the replacement converter as they felt it was a warranty job. I was not the original purchaser of this equipment so I was pleasantly surprised.
Now this guy at Dungog, Murray Rumbel the Gas Tech at Modern Motors could not have been more concerned or fairer in fact they went beyond the call of fairness and their responsibility, in my opinion, having done the work under warranty.

PLEASE NOTE I have no connection with these people other than being a very satisfied customer.

I am in my 60s and I can’t recall ever being treated in such a generously fair manner by any trades person who has ever done work for me. Restores your faith in humanity.

Any way there it is for what it is worth. Gas over Diesel is worth the money spent fitting it (turbo diesel anyhow) and those considering it, if it is fitted properly, will not be disappointed.
As I said, I can only offer this opinion in regard to my turbo diesel and if anyone wants further information I can only recommend the guys at Modern Motors in Dungog NSW. They designed their system and they prefer to tune it. In my opinion these fellows will not give you bad advice so I recommend calling them re your specific vehicle. 02 4992 1486 and ask for Neil or Murray.
Very helpful guys. IMHO.
Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 412483

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:38

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:38
fuel consumption is around 11.5 l per 100K auto box.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 682505

Reply By: Member - david m2 (SA) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 22:12

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 22:12
everyone for your reply's . A bit more thought i think
AnswerID: 412592

Sponsored Links