My Telstra satellite phone can't receive Optus or Vodaphone messages.

I tried sending an SMS to two mobile phones on the weekend - one is with Optus, the other with Vodaphone. Both those phones received the SMS but their replies wouldn't come back to my satellite phone. They couldn't get a normal mobile call through either.

It works both ways with calls and sms to my Telstra mobile.

Does anyone know why it wouldn't be working with Optus and Vodaphone?

regards

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:46

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:46
Have had that trouble with mine as well

My son is on Vodafone and my friends were on Optus

As you say you can send to them but they cant to you.

Something to do with rival networks.

No good ringing Telstra they will deny that a GSM sim card works in an Iridium phone.

LOL
AnswerID: 412560

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 19:17

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 19:17
This is because the carriers block or don;t translate the 0017 or what ever the prefix is. I spent weeks with them on this before we travelled but they seem to be in denial about the issue. The no help desk didn't even know the Iridium prefix existed. I spoke with the technical team and explained what they needed to do to their route tables but that was like pulling teeth. I was assured the were on to it before I left my corporate job where I could influence these things. Now I can't and it's still not done. Shame for them, the need you all to hammer them with this news. I do a lot.
AnswerID: 412568

Follow Up By: Realtime Platform Satellite Phone Hire & Sales - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:23

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:23
My suggestion is go with an Iridium sim card which has a data and telephone number, with the prefix +88. In that way its done direct through the Iridium network, and no issues to send to other networks.
FollowupID: 682690

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:34

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:34
I didnt bother following up on it but here is the price for a 1 minute call using my sim card in my Motorola 9505A

$3.77 ic GST for ONE MINUTE.

AnswerID: 412671

Sponsored Links