Iridium Telstra Sat.phone outside aerial

I have been having alot more success using outside roof aerial on Sat. phone.
It comes in the box and hangs on to the roof really well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:03

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:03
When we needed to use our satellite phone i was having a lot of trouble with poor reception clarity and drop outs. By chance we met a friend who said she learnt to always use the car antenna. They have it on the roof when travelling and shut the door on the cable with no ill effects. Good reception even when moving.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412627

Reply By: JAX W - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:23

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:23
An alternative position I have used is to install the standard antenna on the front of the dash. It is installed with double sided tape alongside the Bluetooth GPS antenna.

The GPS has always worked well there, so I figured the Sat Phone (Iridium 9555) should also work well. The advantage is that the antenna remains in place in a secure position and the cable is long enough to reach the cradle (supplied with the phone) which is mounted on the centre console.

There will be times when the reception won't be as good as an external mount, but on balance I think it will be OK - it has been so far.

Regards, Jack
AnswerID: 412630

Follow Up By: Member - baffle (QLD) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:43

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:43
Jax W, I am presently considering buying a sat phone for outback 4x4 travel. Any suggestions on best dealer(s) for good pricing and also a reasonable cost plan for minimal use. Cheers, Bruce.
FollowupID: 682681

Follow Up By: Realtime Platform Satellite Phone Hire & Sales - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:11

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:11
Hi Bruce, there are a number of options available, which Im happy to assist. Regards Mike
FollowupID: 682689

Follow Up By: JAX W - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:56

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:56
Hullo Bruce

Telstra were not a good option for the Iridium phone as they are very inflexible with their costs and Plans. They require a minimum contract of 24 months at $30 per month plus connection and call charges.

I chose to deal with TR Telecom in Melbourne. I applied for the Government subsidy at $700 (inc GST) and was successful. TR Telecom supplied the Iridium 9555 phone at a significantly lower price than Telstra. They are much more flexible than Telstra, with a casual plan available that leaves Telstra for dead.

The people at TR Telecom were very nice to deal with, whereas Telstra were typical Telstra!!

May I suggest you pay a visit to the TR Telecom website: www.trtelecom.com

I have no connection with TR Telecom, just a satisfied customer.

Regards, Jack
FollowupID: 682692

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:42

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:42
If you only want it for emergencies the cheapest way is to use your Telstra

Internationally roamed sim card (must be on a plan) NOT PREPAID

The charge on my last call was $3.77 for 1 MINUTE.

Just be aware idf someone rings you on the satfone you pay for the diversion to the Iridium network as well

Thats all I had to use it in 12 months so would never get a plan for it.

A 9505a can be had with all the bits for about $1000 on Ebay if you look around.

Thats all I paid for mine.

FollowupID: 682714

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:49

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:49
Hi
I have a Motorola 9505A irridium and have the small round magnetic external aeriai mounted on the roof rack. The phone is on 24/7 and the reception is brilliant. I use to use the phones aerial from inside the vehicle but with the roofrack overhanging the top of the windscreen and the tinted windows the signal would regulary drop out. Had the same problem with the gps so added an external aerial and problem fixed.

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 412632

Sponsored Links