Import agents recommendations

Submitted: Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:48
ThreadID: 77662 Views:4088 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

We are going to be moving permanently back to Queensland later this year or early next and just wondering in a longshot if anyone has any recommendations for an import agent and customs broker in Brisbane.

We will probably be bringing in a 40' container.

Thanks

Bruce

San Diego and Childers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:25

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:25
Try one of the vehicle importers they may be able to help or point you in the right direction
or these guys
Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412619

Reply By: CruisinDub - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:26

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:26
Hi Bruce,

We are also shipping home a container (20') of personal effects come September, though probably from Italy more than likely.

Dealing with the Italians is difficult enough, most freight forwarders from there are only interested in getting the container to fremantle and then we are on our own from there. Another 500km again to get 'home'.

Most have said that we have to organise our own customs procedure in Aust.

Freight forwarders from UK will do door to door, (only from within UK unfortunately) and save a lot of hassle, presuming quality freight forwarders in the states will offer the same at a competetive rate.

Are you contemplating organising all your own?

All advice I have has is that even if we have packed our own to claim it is not PBO (Packed by owner) this will more than likely get searched resulting in further customs charges.

I believe on here we can message away from the forum, let me know if you want to converse further-share advice/info.

Cheers Paul
AnswerID: 412624

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:46

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:46
Thanks Dave and Paul,

Dave, I sent them an email to see what they can do, do know anyone in Bundy who does the container transport up our way, I've seen the trucks around but don't know if they are local or from down south.

Paul, thanks for the info my email is cycadcenter at msn.com
Gotta organise the dog as well and thats a 6 month process and costs abt $4,000.

Bruce

FollowupID: 682675

Reply By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 14:19

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 14:19
Cycad ,

If you want to send an email to me at this address --

stephen@fpsvic.com.au - I can pass it on to my Queensland branch who would be able to organise the whole thing from pickup to delivery ...

Alternatively you might like to contact Kent Removals who are experts in the moving game from O/s through Customs and Quarantine and will deliver help unpack and place goods in your house and will remove the rubbish ...
They have offices in Brisbane and Townsville..
offices

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 412643

Follow Up By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 14:20

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 14:20
Just for the record - In my other life I am a Licenced Customs Broker ..

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 682683

Reply By: kev.h - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 17:19

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 17:19
I have used Roly Leahy custom imports on the gold coast to ship from Stanton California to Bundaberg Qld and American Freight Company within America and was very happy with the service of both companys
Cheers Kev
AnswerID: 412661

Reply By: Member. aussiedingo.(Riverina) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:09

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:09
G'day, try this number, 07 3620 4933, it is Raj's direct line, I haved used them over the years, very efficient, regards, aussiedingo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412717

Reply By: Realtime Platform Satellite Phone Hire & Sales - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:13

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:13
Hi Bruce,

We used Chess Removals as our clearing agents over 5 years ago from the UK, and they were brilliant. Might be worth giving them a shout to see who they work with in the UK.
Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 412718

Reply By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:56

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:56
WOW

What an incredable response,

Thanks to everyone for your help.

It is truely appreciated

I will be in contact with all the leads supplied and hope one day to be able to return the favor.

Bruce
AnswerID: 412724

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 16:04

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 16:04
You could also try David Lim at Customs and Forwarding in Brisbane. We use these guys to import from the US and have never had a problem with them in about 8yrs. Ph: 07 3252 5515. I am not sure on how you will go with household goods as we are all commercial goods but David would be well worth a try.

Good luck with the move.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 682795

Reply By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 17:05

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 17:05
We came from the UK 12 years ago and used Kent for our household goods and chattels. Everything seemed to be professional until we had our goods delivered here in Sydney.

We had:

Damaged furniture and toys;
Missing furniture;
Missing sports equipment, esp some expensive fishing rods;
Missing alcohol!!!

They claimed it all happened outside their immediate area of control - they were using others as Customs Agents and for local delivery etc etc - and wouldn't pay out on everything.

We also found out that the sealed containers that we saw leave our house were unsealed at some point in the journey and everything repacked into other containers. Where this happened we don't know, although it could well have been customs here in Australia.

Our advice is make sure you have a fully itemised list of everything, and I mean EVERYTHING and which box or package it is in, and check on insurance cover in the originating country, during shipment (presumably shipping freight?), and here in Australia. And get it all in writing.

Maybe we were unlucky, maybe things have improved, but I think you just can't be too careful when you hand over repsonsibility for your stuff to others!

Hope this helps!
LES
AnswerID: 412766

Reply By: CruisinDub - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:38

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:38
Hi Bruce,

Emailed you direct the other day, did you recieve ok?

Rgds PAUL
AnswerID: 412992

Sponsored Links