CAN YOU CHARGE A DUAL BATTERY CONCURRENTLY FROM SOLAR AND ALTERNATOR ??

Submitted: Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 19:28
ThreadID: 77672 Views:5025 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have 200ah dual battery in back of pajero being charged through the and a smart switch. I have just installed a 100 watt solar panel to roof of car and through a regulator to batteries. Both connected with anderson plugs. Is it possible to charge from both the alternator and the solar panel at the same time or will the source with the highest charge dominate the other? should they be run ie when motor is running (alternator) when parked (solar) can you obtain a switch or should I manually unplug and plug ???? Some guidance would be gratefully appreciated please. ps I will only be running a 40ltr engel and 2 fluro lights at night.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 20:32

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 20:32
Hi
The short quick answer is YES
Depending on relative setting one or the other will shiut down as the battery approaches full charge
Up to that point both will contibute to the charge
Simply connect your panel via the panel reg to the 200ah battery

You may even @ times find the solar is topping up the main battery as well as the aux if the alternator reg has cut back
AnswerID: 412683

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 22:13

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 22:13
"Is it possible to charge from both the alternator and the solar panel at the same time.... "
If both 'regulators' (alternator reg and solar reg) are working correctly it is not even worth a second thought, they will regulate independently.

"should they be run ie, when motor is running (alternator) "
That will depend on what type of solar regular you are using?

"when parked (solar)
This assumes the motor is not running as your "parked" so the alternator is not charging the 200ah battery, only the solar panel will be.

"can you obtain a switch or should I manually unplug and plug "
You don't need to do anything, if the regulator is suitable, as it will correctly 'regulate' the Amps going to the 200ah battery.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 412691

Sponsored Links