C map V's Navionic electronic charts

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 01:44
ThreadID: 7770 Views:3246 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I want to purchase a new GPS Plotter primarily for marine use but also to use offroad. I'm having trouble deciding which electronic chart format to go for; C-Map NT+ or Navionics (Classic or Gold) . Anyone have any experience as to which one has the better detail or features. Any link to an unbiased informative site would be appreciated.

Cheers
Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:27

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:27
Hi Allan,
I have a Geo Nav plotter on my 34 foot yacht, the plotter is about 6 years old, was pretty cheap to buy and I now find it is having trouble getting a fix, but the chart is not to bad, I have a 16mb one, it's to big and doesnot cover some areas properly.
I've just brought a vessel up to Yeppoon from the Gold Coast and we had C-Map NT on the plotter, one chart Ballina to Bundaberg was terrible, the next Bundaberg to Mackay was great. So what Iam saying is togo to a dealer and try out the charts you want on their plotter. If I was to buy a new system I properly go for a cd rom set up on a lap top, a lot bigger area on the cd either land or sea for a lot less cost. You can get a good gps for $500 to plug into a lap top and the cd is about $1300 for the whole of Aus, check out the adds in Trade-A Boat.
Hope this was of some help.
Bruce MU-ving on
AnswerID: 33619

Follow Up By: Member - Allan - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 21:28

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 21:28
Thanks Bruce, I spent about 2 hours in the shop today comparing detail on CMap V's Navionics. Looking at a specific area I fish on the West coast I found the Navionics chart had more contour lines on it but I'm still not convinced that it will actually help me as they can clutter the screen when zoomed out. Then its hard to decide whether to go colour or Black & white so I left even more confused. I have a laptop and hand held GPS c/w interface cable but boat is too open to operate laptop. I need something reasonably waterproof and compact.
I will just have to keep looking & asking questions from the users.Cheers
Allan
FollowupID: 24171

Reply By: Niko - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 20:28

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 20:28
There is a PC that is the size of a PC's External CD player when not used in conjunction with the detacheable CD Player. It is robust and can be hidden away on your boat and you can hook up an LCD screen to the size you want to suite you.

If you are interested go to www.octapc.com/category318_1.htm

AnswerID: 35981

Sponsored Links