Cunnamulla to Alice Springs

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:36
ThreadID: 77707 Views:4124 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - Does any of you good people have experience travelling from Cunnamulla to Nockatunga to Birdsville to Boulia to Toko to Hart to Alice Springs. I am planning this route in June this year towing my 19' Bushtracker caravan. Is this possible or do I need to find another route. Any and all comments will be very much appreciated

Best Regards

POB

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 23:13

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 23:13
Peter it's all blacktop from Cunnamulla to the Nockatunga turn off, we went that way to Tibooburra last July. Not much help but it's at least the first coupla hundred km out of the way.

Hope somebody else can come up with some more info.

Regards Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412958

Follow Up By: Member - Peter O (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 16:21

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 16:21
Thanks Paul this is a big help

Regards

POB

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683053

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 07:49

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 07:49
Peter,

I have been on the Bourke Outback Trek along your proposed route on different Treks. The Trek usually has between 60/80 vehicles of all types towing trailers and campers of all types. Everyone got through OK, some with a little help ;). I would have though a Bushtracker would do it OK driving to conditions. I assume you have a good sized 4WD to tow the Bushtraker.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 412970

Follow Up By: Member - Peter O (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 16:19

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 16:19
Thanks Richard

I have a 2009 Patrol 3.0 with the works including a chip and 3" tuned exhaust that tows OK.

Regards
POB
to

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683052

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:32

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:32
I did Cunnamulla , Quilpie via Toompine ( now all bitumin), Bedourie, Boulia then the Plenty last year with my Old Rangie and Camp'o'matic.

The roads from Bedourie up to Boulia has patches of bitumin and dirt but no problem for a Bushtracker and south to where the roads to Birdsville comes in it was also good.
The Plenty varies greatly depending on weather, and we were there after some rain. the owner of Jevois Station told me this was good as it had got rid of a lot of bulldust. Barring flooding there is not much challenging about it except the distance and the need for a reliable car. I saw a Pathfinder being towed from near the border back to Boulia, and saw a trail of oil leading many kilos, so maybe high clearance is also a requirement.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 412990

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:42

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:42
Peter

I have not taken my BT on the Plenty yet but I have heard of others to have done so with no problems.

As always it depends on road conditions..

Alan
AnswerID: 413000

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:18

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:18
If you had not planned to do so, I would reccomend detouring down to Noccundra at least. There is a fabulous camp down by the Wilson Rv opposite the Noccundra Hotel that would be excellent for a couple of nights if you had the time.

Which way from Nockatunga-Birdsville?

My Supreme has been out through Windorah-Birdsville then sth no problems so the BT should handle it as well, just take your time in places.

Also Noccundra-Cam Corner- Bore Tk to Innaminka was a great detour with the van in tow, if you wanted to go this way then take Walkers Crossing road up to Birdsville the BT again should take it in it's stride.

Sorry I can't help you with any info on the more northern reaches of your route as I have not done this bit..... YET!!!

Safe travels,
Trevor.
AnswerID: 413019

Reply By: Sawtybt - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 16:02

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 16:02
Peter,

Prior to owning our current van (BT) we travelled over all the roads you mentioned with our Trakmaster and with another couple who towed their Bushtracker. You will have no problems providing you drive to the conditions.

Others have mentioned the different routes that can be taken to get to Birdsville and with the van you have you can take any of those routes without any problems.

Regards
Ross
AnswerID: 413027

Sponsored Links