the track in from northern bypass ,camping ,fishing ,
availibilty of fresh water
I intend to tow a trailer
Friar
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:27

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:27
Hi Friar,

Nice place. The track in is fine with a log bridge on the way in which is easily navigated. There is no water available so this is a good crossing to fill the water containers. When you come out onto the beach we headed about 8km north along the beach and camped among the trees. There is a river (name escapes me at the moment) but we didn't do very well fishing!! Trailers are not a problem.

Leroy
AnswerID: 33548

Follow Up By: Kev - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:26

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:26
Hi Friar,
We went there two years ago. Found a fresh water spring on the northern edge of the coffee rocks which are about 500m south of the entrance track. We also found that these coffee rocks were a breeding ground for mud crabs and at low tide they were easily pulled out from the crevices. Unlike Leroy we had excellent fishing from the creek. No Barra as it was too cold but if you have a boat, fish out where the dirty water meets the fresh. We found numerous large trevally but be very careful where you park your car because the tide goes out a long way and covers a very large creek mouth when it comes in. The creek is north of the old light house tender wreck. With plenty of fresh food/water we had a great time there and stayed for a week when we only intended a couple of days.
FollowupID: 24079

Reply By: Tony J - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:57

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:57
We found a fresh water creek. If you head south towards Virilya Point South (into the Calmalco lease area I think) you cross this creek. Not very big but the water is crystal clear.

On your way in take the left track about 2k's short of the beach (intersection is marked by a tin plate nailed to a tree - a bit rusted) and before you reach the dump point. Continue past the 'lookout'. This track is about 5k's to the beach. Some good camping spots down there but the sand can be soft. Crocs everywhere.

We towed a trailer and after letting our tyres down, had no prblems.

Track in from Northern bypass was no problem - just take it slowly whith a trailer.
AnswerID: 33555

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:04

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:04
Virilya point is a must to go and see, it is beautiful.
Be VERY careful on the track in, it follows dead straight survey lines, and will then come instantly to a 90 degree bend. We came across a hilux which rolled, we had to winch him back on his wheels. He lost almost everything including the boat on the roof.
We got into some massive schools of tuna just off the headland to the right on the beach. great fun. also got a few trevalleys and mackrel.
Camp under the casurina trees, theres many spots.
Check out the old lighthouse shipwreck on the beach about 2km north towards the creek outlet.
I did hear a story about an aboriginal settlement going in which was to make tourists out of bounds, make sure this isnt true for our sake so we can go back!
Does any one else know about this?
its been 2 years since i went there.
AnswerID: 33557

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:27

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:27
Friar its a top spot but dont tell every one. The track in is good if dry which it sould be this time of year.Also the only water I would drink is at Crystal creek at the log bridge.The water south of Virilya point in my opinion is not good for drinking but good forv washing / bathing.
All the best
Eric
4x4 tag along adventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 33623

Sponsored Links