Advice - heading off with bub, wife and dog around Australia

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 15:34
ThreadID: 77715 Views:4719 Replies:12 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all,

We are seriously contemplating selling most of our belongings (only keeping those things which are of most importance) and heading off on a working adventure around Oz after our wedding in September. I have done a number outback trips (Simpson, Cobourg Peninsula, Innaminka etc) before but nothing like this. We will have a camper trailer and keeping it pretty basic.

We intend to get work on the Harvest Trail, or if I am lucky as a kayak guide, or Psychologist, or whatever shows up. I do not have much of an attachment to personal belongings so selling up is not an issue for me, not sure about the wife though ;).

I would love to hear from people who have done this or contemplating doing it, to get their experience and advice.

Cheers

Simon

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: slave - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 16:08

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 16:08
The only advice I can give Simon is enjoy yourself.

Mrs S
( and congratulations)
AnswerID: 412909

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:17

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:17
That's the plan!
FollowupID: 682936

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:21

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:21
Hang on I have just had a flash back. Mrs Slave did I travel the Simpson with you and family a while back? That username rings a bell.
FollowupID: 682955

Follow Up By: slave - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:01

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:01
Who us, of course it was us !!

Mrs S
FollowupID: 682967

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:22

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:22
That's cool. Hope you guys are well. We may call in and see you on our trip. Are you still in Portland?
FollowupID: 682972

Follow Up By: slave - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:53

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:53
Yep same place, Slaves moble is the same but the home number is unlisted.

We did a quick trip to Queensland last year.
We got to Innaminka and did all the tourist things that we couldn't do due to the rain last time and headed up to Longreach, then east and south via Tambo and Bourke and Broken Hill, just made sure we were home by a certain date. I just had trouble trying to explain to the new boss that in many cases we couldn't travel on wet roads.

Mrs S
FollowupID: 682977

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 16:27

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 16:27
Hi Simon,

There have been many threads on this forum re travelling for extended periods, working your way around, travelling with children and with dogs. If you do some searches of the forum using those terms or something similar you should get a lot of info. Do a similar search of the blogs section.

Have a great trip.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412912

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:18

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:18
Thanks have read quite a few of those posts already just looking for any extra peices of advice and experiences.
FollowupID: 682937

Reply By: On the Run - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 16:31

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 16:31
DO IT DO IT DO IT

we have been on the road for 13months and have never regreted the day we quit our jobs and drove away.
Its not all smooth sailing but neither was it living at home either.
There is so much work out here, but we just work enough to top up the bank for a while then its a great long holiday till the next time we want work.
You can get a tax deduction on ALL your on road expenses if you go from one job to the next(and yes you can take months between jobs) its ATO approved does require a bit of a paper trail and a home base somewhere (can rent a room from kids,tenants,parents,friends etc ) but better in my pocket....
We have just spent 5 months in tassie worked a bit had a good holiday can even claim the cost of the Spirit of Tassie ferry

As a guide you should have no probs anywhere, but just doing painting maintenance,gardening etc heaps of work all around the country.
any questions just ask

kim n doug
AnswerID: 412913

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:21
I have read about the tax thing and we are certainly investigating that option. Good to hear you are enjoying it. Might see you on the road one day.
FollowupID: 682940

Follow Up By: Spana - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:14

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:14
Wow that is a great idea! Had been thinking about this, but thought I was being a bit cheeky even toying with the idea. I'm a carpenter myself (we're planning to head off around August) and I was planning on claiming things like generators and things too.
Has anyone attempted to claim there rural work accomodation (my new, yet to be recieved, pop top camper)?
Kim, how did you go about finding your work? did you guys advertise like on pin up boards, or found requests in local papers? I'm used to the stable long term emplyment, will be new and exciting looking for small jobs.

Sorry Earvin for hijacking your post, as you can see I'm in the same boat as yourself, just got very excited about making the ATO actually help me!
I don't have much helpfull info for you yet, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Troy
FollowupID: 682953

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:26

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:26
Troy - no problem about hijacking the post. It's good to hear others are thinking about doing the same thing.

Have fun.
FollowupID: 682956

Follow Up By: On the Run - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 14:05

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 14:05
Hi spana and others

yes you can claim your pop top

www.bantacs.com.au

look down the left side under travelling workers heaps of info and you do have to keep records but it is worth it
FollowupID: 683042

Follow Up By: jeep cherokee - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:43

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:43
On the runCan As I dont want to tie up the forum can i have your email address as i would like to get some pointers on Tassie.My wife and i are heading there later this year.It will be the first port of call,so to speak, on our trip around Aussie.
My email address is hangerbangers@adam.com.au
FollowupID: 683050

Reply By: Twintrail(W.A.) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 18:59

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 18:59
Hi Simon, dont exceed the bag limit leave the wife at home ha ha have a great trip twintrail
AnswerID: 412928

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:29

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:29
Can't do that mate, she has some good qualities ;).
FollowupID: 682957

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:16

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:16
Nothing like what you're planning to do, but we moved around Aus (due to change of jobs mostly) quite frequently up until the kids hit school age.
I reckon the stage where you're at in life is an idea time to do what you're planning to do, you don't have to worry about home schooling or anything like that and still have the option to settle down once the kid / kids are of school age to provide them the stable home / friendships etc if that's what you want by then. In the mean time keep an eye out on that special place where you might not mind staying for the longer term.

From my experience it's the people that make the place, and I guess likewise when you're traveling it will be the fellow travelers that add to your experiences even if you don't stay long enough to really get to know the locals.
AnswerID: 412932

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:31

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:31
Thanks mate - we are on the same wave length. Who knows where we will end up and what we will be doing.
FollowupID: 682960

Reply By: Teraa - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:31

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:31
Wouldn't have it any other way was a bit hard in my day without internet when the kids got to scholl age but if you ask them they wouldn't have had it any other way either but a been cursed with gypsy hearts all of their lives they say it's a blessing. You can spend your whole life traveling around aussie and never see it all I don't know why people go overseas it's all here.
Good luck might be handy to take the cook though.
AnswerID: 412935

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:35

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:35
It has been said that I have gypsy in me, a nice curse it is too. Yes the cook is coming.
FollowupID: 682961

Reply By: Member - Salt grinder - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:31

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:31
Your only here on this earth once . . . . make the most of it.

Like all trips half the fun is in the planning. But don't try to plan every day of the trip, sometimes the best things and most unexpected things just happen because you were there. Get out the maps and research just how much to want to see and how remote you want to get. There's nothing better than just yourselves in a remote desert sunrise.

Then get the right equipment to do the job . . . . strong fourby, strong trailer, efficient fridges and the ability to know how to look after them. They have to get you back home again one day, and then you'll probably want to start all over again.

Stay in touch, we look forward to hearing of your wildest adventures.

I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412942

Follow Up By: Earvin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 21:39

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 21:39
Cheers mate. The trip is solidifying as we speak. Bring on the adventure.
FollowupID: 682986

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 21:56

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 21:56
I'm sure you'll have a great time. We are also on a year long (maybe two) trip. I'm not being smart but do you need to take the dog? This will limit you a lot if you intend to see a lot of the Nat parks as you can not take dogs there. You will struggle to find places to stay with them, yes there are a few caravan parks that allow them if they are in the van. I suppose it depends on what you are travelling in. Camper, Caravan etc.

anyway enjoy
AnswerID: 412950

Follow Up By: Earvin - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 05:59

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 05:59
Good point but the dog has been with me for nearly 10 years, there is no way I could leave him behind. We will just have to put up with the limitations or put him in a kennel for a little while if there is something we truly want to see. Plus he is good security!
FollowupID: 683005

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 09:19

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 09:19
Yes, far enough and I would do the same. Just asking though. Anyway. See if you can get a list of kennels around the place etc. May help you decide where to go etc
FollowupID: 683021

Reply By: John and Lynne - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:40

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:40
Of course you have to take the dog! Providing he is well behaved and you don't leave him tied up alone for lengthy periods you will have no trouble finding places to stay. (You can safely ignore Big4 Parks - they don't sound like your cup of tea anyway! Dog friendly places are always the nicest!) We always take our dog with us and have travelled for months at a time with no problems. She has always enjoyed travelling. Occasionally there are dog unfriendly places where she can't go and we want to go but we have always been able to find Puppy Day Care or a local kennel for a day or two. Local vets often look after dogs or can recommend a place. She really enjoyed her few days in a kennel in Darwin which had a shadier environment than the places we stayed!
Taking a dog encourages us to get out for walks so we see things we might otherwise miss and we have met lots of people through her - everyone in the bush seems to have a Jack Russell story to share!
Make sure you carry his vaccination certificates etc and put your mobile number on his collar. Keep up the flea treatment or you can have horrible excema from the vigorous fleas up north. Be very careful of baits. Baits are the biggest hazard in the bush and you can't let your dog roam in areas where baits are laid.
Have a wonderful time! Lynne
AnswerID: 412976

Follow Up By: Earvin - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:04

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:04
Thanks Lynne.
FollowupID: 683061

Reply By: jeep cherokee - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:38

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:38
Earvin, Go For It. My wife and i are selling the house in June and doing the same thing.We are in our early and late fifties and have no plan on retiring at 65.As for the dog, we are definately taking ours,as mentioned earlier there are dog friendly caravan parks out there.Why not purchase the Camps 5 book, that will give you heaps of info on caravan parks and also free camping sites.Have a ball and we might catch up on the road sometime.
AnswerID: 413024

Follow Up By: Earvin - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:06

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:06
Thanks mate enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 683062

Reply By: harrisinoz - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:48

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:48
Hi Simon

We are selling everything and looking at being on the road for 1-2 years plus if we want too...we have 2 children 10 and 4 which will make an interesting trip! but we can't wait.....I have gypsy blood in me and are for ever moving so we thought instead of keep buying and selling bloody houses lets buy a van and do the big trip.....we too need to work and I have looked at the harvest trail and it looks as though they are always on the lookout for people (well hopefully anyway)....

We are looking at around September/October so will head south (we are in QLD) so who knows we may park next to you at one point...

Happy Travels :)

Karen
AnswerID: 413025

Follow Up By: Earvin - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:23

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:23
G'day Karen (and anyone else interested),
If you want to keep in touch and perhaps meet up on the road sometime or share experiences in selling up and moving on we can be contacted at mcguire psych [at] gmail. com - obviously take out the spaces and replace [at] with you know what.

I think Sarah would also enjoy talking to some like minded people.

Cheers

Simon
FollowupID: 683069

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:48

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:48
Likewise even though we're settled down (for now) if you end up coming over to WA Nannup way we don't mind if you shoot us an email...ducktape00 (at) yahoo.com.au if we're still where we are now then plenty of room to park your van too as we're on a nice rural block, this time of year is not bad as they're looking for chestnut pickers up the road.

If this wasn't such a nice town I probably would have contemplated moving up North where hubby's work is by now (having lived here for 2yrs).

I agree with a few other comments too that moving around even when the kids are older isn't a bad thing either, so if we do stay in one place we will at least get back into regular camping or longer trips.
AnswerID: 413038

Follow Up By: Earvin - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:46

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:46
Cheers. Will keep your email handy as we plan on heading to WA ASAP.
FollowupID: 683363

Sponsored Links