retaining nets for 4WD roof rack cages??

Submitted: Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 14:16
ThreadID: 77754 Views:5302 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Cages may be the wrong term. But Think heavy duty steel laced bed with sides about 6 inches high that fit into the drainage gutters of a Patrol.

Trying to switch SWMBO's thinking on moving on our exiisting tar top only caravan to an off-road camper trailer. To achieve this I am thinking of leaving the caravan at home on he next trip and using the "cage", which we already have to carry some of the tent camping gear.

No to the problem "How Do I Keep Everything in the cage. ?"

I can imagine lots of tie ratchet tie downs but I was hoping for advice towards buying a heavy duty elastic webbing like thingy like I use on the box trailer to keep the garden cuttings in on the way to the tip. This stuff is very light usage only

I have tried the major 4WD store in Bundy but they say there isn't such a product. Bet you people know otherwise. Who from and how much would be a big help

Thanks in advance

Benny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 14:39

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 14:39
Benny
A couple of quick thoughts between jobs. While the elastic webbing sounds attractive at first blush, the problem is that the load rubs and frays as the elastic is not firm/strong enough to stop movement. Really need to use ratchet tie downs if possible as you can match the tension on each one to the situation - eg, type of item (strong, rigid, crushable, etc) and they are load rated. Also consider what happens in a crash (stop) - if load comes free and injures someone, you can be held liable for damages for not securing the load sufficiently. I often wonder if people who put jerry cans of fuel on the roof take this into consideration - a 20 litre molotov cocktail!
Rgds
A
AnswerID: 413148

Reply By: yakodi - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 14:39

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 14:39
The company Just Straps have a cargo net that may help you out. Bushranger & MSA also make waterproof canvas/pvc bags, those stackable plastic, dust & water proof boxes might also suit your needs. Prices vary depending on the application and how well hidden your belongings need to be. Cheers
AnswerID: 413149

Follow Up By: bennyzbit - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:43

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:43
Thanks for the info "yakodi"

Looked them up and searched their catalogue without success so I rang them. The product is in a slightly obscure place.

Yes ...They have a heavy duty roof basket cargo net but it is only 1.25m x 1m. As our basket is 1.8mx 1.3m we would need 2 to cover the whole basket. and at $115 each a this s a tad expensive.

Thanks for your help... great info as always from the EO crew.

Benny
FollowupID: 683212

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:37

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:37
Hi there. Sounds to me like using a hair net when you should be using a crash helmet! The whole idea of elastic webbing is that it stretches. And that will allow the whole load to move sideways or forwards - not nice!!
I bought a few ratchet straps on special, and they work a treat. But I am also very old fashioned, and have been known to use ROPE! as well as leather straps.
The really good thing about ratchet straps is that you have control over the amount of grunt you apply - like easy does it for tents and such, but firm for things like jerry cans.
AnswerID: 413155

Reply By: Spitster - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:38

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:38
Get your local canvas upholsterer to make up a canvas tarp, with elastic cord & clips running through eyelets around so you can hold it firm over your gear and onto the roof rack. A piece of annexe channell track can be screwed onto the front of the rack, with a small rope sewn into the canvas to make it fit nice and snug and stop it from parachutting. I have had one for 10 years and works a treat.
AnswerID: 413156

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 16:01

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 16:01
Just my opinion, but anything of significant weight needs to be secured individually - stuff like jerries, gas bottles etc. For this I like to use the ROK elastic straps because they are safer and stronger than any other form of elastic strap - they have limited elasticity so they are unlikely to flick you in the eye. I still prefer something that's elastic because the load stays secure - I've had problems with ratchet tie downs coming loose in roofracks.
The straps look like this and you get them from camping stores and Big W:
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 413159

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 17:44

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 17:44
Hullo Phil
I do not observe commercial delivery utes, etc, travelling around the metro area using elastic cords (or ROK) for securing their loads! They use ratchet tie downs. And their speeds are far less than highway speeds.
So I guess the question boils down to one of risk. A 20 kg jerry can travelling at 30m/sec (just over 100 kph) has a momentum that requires at least a 600kg breaking strength tie down (without taking into account factoring in SWL) when secured in the optimal way to resist the can continuing forward in an accident (which most aren't). I am not familiar with the specs of an ROK strap but suspect that it would not meet that criteria by a long shot.
Wrt tie downs becoming loose, I admit that it requires some thought and experience to secure them in a way that minimises that eventuality and regular checks during the trip rather an a "tighten and forget" approach.
Rgds
Andrew
FollowupID: 683229

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:13

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:13
Benny,

This is what I use:-Roof Rack Basket and Canvas Packa Bag

They are available in different lengths.

The advantage of the canvas bags are that they are water and dust proof and therefore protect things like swags, etc. that I carry up top.

You can even have a longer basket and a shorter canvas bag to store most stuff in the bags and have room for jerry cans etc. outside.

When travelling off road I use a couple of ratchet straps as extra security and to stop the bag "balooning" from air pressure.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413174

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:46

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:46
G'day, have a look at page 6 of the attached cattledog. May be what you are looking for. Cattledog
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 413183

Reply By: TrevorMR (WA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:34

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:34
Bunnings have got a rope net for a 6 x 4 trailer for about $8. I was in there Tuesday of this week and lwas looking at them. I was going to buy one for my roof basket but it looked a bit too big.
AnswerID: 413195

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 23:33

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 23:33
On the ARB Steel Roof Rack I use a heavy duty canvas roof bag to put stuff in to keep it dust free then use the elastic 6x4' trailer net on top to keep the canvas from flapping.

If there is a heavyish item in the roof bag then it gets a separate rope or strap over it after the bag is zipped up but before the elastic net goes on.

Works for me.

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 413217

Reply By: bennyzbit - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 12:59

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 12:59
Thanks everybody for the input. I hadn't intended to have jerry cans or another spare wheel up there but you often see them. I hadn't thought of what could happen in a crash

The heavy duty webbing is much too dear. so it will be canvas bags and ratchet tie downs at least for the first trip.

Thanks
Benny
AnswerID: 413273

Sponsored Links