Snowy & High Country

Submitted: Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 17:12
ThreadID: 77758 Views:2110 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Well,
Anyone want to head off into the high country next week. I'm bored and SHMBO can't go due to work.

Kinda think to go in at Tom Groggin and exit up by the Alpine way heading back to the Central Coast of NSW. Should be about a 4 to 6 day trip.

Let me know.

Cheers

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alex K (NSW) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 17:31

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 17:31
Would love to Steve but can't get the time off work either. Out of interest, can this area be expored during winter when snow is one the ground?
AnswerID: 413168

Reply By: Road to Discovery - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:25

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:25
Enjoy the trip Steve.....no need to worry about snow this week - we had a little dusting last Sunday, but nothing to hinder anything - don't even think it was worth a photo.

How are you starting at Tom Groggin - dropping in by Helicopter? If entering the Alpine Way via Khancoban, then enjoy the beautiful drive 1 hour drive to Tom Groggin - stick your head out the window when you pass thru the peppermint gum forest for a divine smell and unclog the sinuses!!

Tom Groggin to Thredbo is another hour. All roads open. There is only 1 road that closes (at only from Queens Birthday weekend) and that is the road from (near) Khancoban to Selwyn - called the Cabramarru Road. Alpine Way is open all year.

If travelling 4WD then no need to carry chains. Chains only required for 2WD.
Bear in mind that Alpine Way has some narrow bits going thru rock walls and 4-5 hair pin bends. They say no caravans, tho a camper trailer would make it fine. Its bitumen all the way.

If driving a Diesel - make sure you fill up on Winter Diesel, so it doesnt freeze on you overnight. Had that happened many years ago....embarrassing! All petrol stations within 1 hour drive of Snowy Mtns stock winter diesel from Easter, so spend your diesel money locally thanks!

Excellent free camping at Geehi and Tom Groggin, The Diggings and Ngarigo. Its only 3 hours drive from Albury to Jindabyne, so 4-6 days allows plenty of "experiencing" time.

Enjoy the trip - as a local I'm very proud of this part of our region.

AnswerID: 413177

Sponsored Links