Centrelink

Submitted: Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 17:45
ThreadID: 77759 Views:11518 Replies:13 FollowUps:50
This Thread has been Archived
This Thread has been Locked

Related Pages

Hi All

I have been told that we can still receive centrelink payments for the kids....is this correct even though we won't have a permanent home (well bricks and mortar anyway)

Karen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:09

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:09
Karen
Why not ask Centrelink. I have always found them very helpful.

teege
AnswerID: 413173

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:48

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:48
I will ask, I just didn't want them to think I was a bludger!....:)
FollowupID: 683246

Reply By: Muntoo - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:17

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:17
Which payment are you refering to?
AnswerID: 413175

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:49

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:49
CCB for children what you get fortnightly......
FollowupID: 683247

Follow Up By: Road to Discovery - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:14

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:14
CCB is Child Care Benefit - are you putting your kids in OOSHC or Child Care whilst travelling????

I think you mean the fortnightly FTB - Family Tax Benefit which comes in types A and B. These are related to income, so you might find you end up with more money at the end of the day, if you say goodbye to your regular income to travel Oz. Note special clauses for rental properties (are you renting out your house whilst travelling?)

I'm currently reading the fine print on Assistance for Isolated Children (Distance Education allowance) trying to work out if I can "bludge" out the $3000 that one pays. Need to change our 'employment title' to circus worker or fruit picker. Wonder if 'belly button' picker counts as an intinerant job?? LOL

R2D
FollowupID: 683267

Follow Up By: PradOz - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 23:25

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 23:25
Hi R2D

Why not become a windscreen washer - i am sure you will do that every now and then. Just need to get SWMBO to toss a few coins to you as payment ;)

FollowupID: 683313

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 00:52

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 00:52
Im not too sure, if your able to travel the country, i find it a llittle unfair that others have to foot the bill. Kind of comes across as bludging to me. Forgive me if im wrong, but thats what how it reads.

I wish i could travel the country and receive payment for it.
FollowupID: 683321

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 07:25

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 07:25
It's not unfair if you have children, we will be working and still have to supply clothes etc., for the kids, I'm not asking if I can claim Newstart or Parenting Payment, just what I am entiltiled to as a mother of two children.....and one who has been in the work force for 22 years so have paid my fair due in tax!

R2D - Sorry I did mean FTB - we are selling our house so our only home would be our van....have you asked if you can claim it??
FollowupID: 683327

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 07:56

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 07:56
If you have sold your home Centrelink class your van as your home and when you pay camp fees you may get rent assistance

As long as you pay at least $22.50 per day x 7 or equiv you may get $109 per fortnight.

you will probably have to be on a Centrelink benefit of some sort to get it though

FollowupID: 683329

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:41

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:41
So let me get this straight:>
You can sell your home and go on a tour around Australia, in a Caravan and Centrelink will help pay your Caravan Park fees, if you are claiming other benifits, no wonder the Tax Office is always sticking it up small business, if you are late paying the GST you have collected for them, let alone the Income Tax we pay, good luck if you can get away with it lol lol.
FollowupID: 683340

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:55

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:55
It is not a rort or anything.

As an aged pensioner ,if you rent a house Centrelink will pay rent assistance if you pay over a certain amount each week.

As Centrelink consider your Caravan your home its no different.

You can go for a holiday and do what you like and so can a pensioner.

We didnt ask for it, Centrelink told us it was available. They also pay remote area allowance when you are in the area they define as remote.
Once again we didnt apply, they just paid it.

It has nothing to do with small business or anything and as pensioners we have paid taxes for, in my case 53 years of work.

We paid for the greater part of our trip out of our own pocket.

I have never been on the dole ever so dont feel guilty about getting my entitlements and dont consider it " bludging' as a lot of young ones do these days and I never got paid $5000 to have kids either.

FollowupID: 683344

Follow Up By: Road to Discovery - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:09

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:09
Karen, looking at the CentreLink website...the only residency requirement for FTB is that you are living in Australia (& legally entitled to)...nothing about fixed addresses or bricks & mortar. I already get FTB, so it will just continue, and as I lodge my tax returns each year they use the taxable income figure to determine whether I deserve a top-up or need to pay back some.

Graham - nice work on the rental assistance!!! That advice would be appreciated by many ExploreOz fans.

To DAZA & Muntoo....The 'bludging' comment was defin tongue in cheek. I too have worked and paid taxes for 26 years - been both an employee and self employed in small business, pay my GST each quarter and give 10% to charity each month, and never even claimed unemployment benefits when I chose to leave a job without a new one to go to once.
I've honestly paid my dues and and have no guilt in honestly claiming for my entitlements such as medicare at the doctors, maternity allowance, and family assistance. If the govt offers rent assistance too, then wow! Its no different to enjoying the benefits of having a police force to protect me, roads to drive on and national museums and libraries to learn from - likewise paid for by my taxes. I will never claim for entitlements never designed to give a free ride for the person who fails to contribute to our society, that sort of thinks errks me too!

On the Road to Discovery..my husband and I will continue to work, contribute to society and leave our 11 years of hard earned savings in every town we visit.
FollowupID: 683348

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:21

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:21
G/Day Graham

Geez mate I'm not having a go at you, just amazed how Centrelink can offer these payments to people, maybe I should get out more and see how the other half live, I agree if you are a Returned Service Man / Woman, or Aged Pensioner you are entilted to their payments, I wasn't aware about the extra perks on offer,I was talking to a bloke some time back about the same subject and I thought he was joking,

Again sorry if I offended you.
FollowupID: 683350

Follow Up By: bert546 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 20:47

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 20:47
i too have paid tax for 22 years maybe i should see about the dole system subsidising a trip around oz
FollowupID: 683419

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 21:08

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 21:08
My understanding of being on the dole is "You have to be available for work" and have to do interviews within a certain time frame or you may lose it.

Might be hard to do if camping at Cape Leveque for instance.

There is more to it than just applying for it.

The dole wouldnt pay hardly any of it any way

We were away for 13 months, did 50,000k almost and it cost at least $1 a k mostly out of our own pockets.
What we got from Centrelink barely kept us in fuel each week.

FollowupID: 683421

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 22:10

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 22:10
Bert456 - Family Tax Benefit is not the DOLE!!!!!!! and it's not subsidising my trip, my savings and the money I have earned from owning a house for the last 15 years is doing this.....narrow minded people.....
FollowupID: 683435

Follow Up By: bert546 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:17

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:17
call it wot u want . if u feel comfortable with every one elses taxes subsidising ur trip through the dole system go for it.
FollowupID: 683553

Follow Up By: bert546 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:18

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:18
call it wot u want . if u feel comfortable with every one elses taxes subsidising ur trip through the dole system go for it.
FollowupID: 683556

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:27

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:27
To Bert 456
If you werent so bitter and twisted about it and read the thread correctly the original poster said they were financing the trip them selves and were merely asking if they could get the same payments for their children they were entitled to if they were still at home.

Also I said WE paid for most of the trip out of our pockets and only got a small payment which at age 69 I am entitled to anywhere in Australia

So there.

If you have nothing positive to contribute DONT.
FollowupID: 683559

Reply By: BundyLuva76 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:10

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:10
Hi Karen,
We have 2 primary school aged children and before we left to travel around Australia we went into Centrelink and told them what we were doing and what (if any) payments we would be entitled to.
They actually tried signing us up for unemployment benefits which we said no to - but we are entitled to FTB part A and B. Although the amount does vary depending on income, so when we stop to work we just let them know and they adjust our payment accordingly.

Hope your plans are coming along nicely. Good luck
AnswerID: 413261

Reply By: Chris11726 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:55

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:55
It astounds me that my hard earned taxes get re-distributed to some one to help them raise there kid, and to top it off while there travelling around Australia.

I can't afford to travel around Australia, and I don't get 5 cents from the government to help me raise my kids. So why the hell you I help you raise yours?

It's a joke.
AnswerID: 413265

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:01

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:01
I suppose you send your kids to private school that is not funded by either the state or federal government? When your children were younger they never attended an infant welfare clinic? Never claimed on Medicare for them? If their older and they travel on public transport they don't have a school travel concession?. Obviously you earn above the cut off for both A & B of the family tax benefits and earning well above the $130000 p/a mark

The public purse pays a huge amount to raise families. I once heard someone say that a family with 3 kids with a single average income receives more in Government benefits than would be paid in tax. (don't know how true..but 3 kids would cost at least $15000 - $20000 pa in schooling)

Family tax benefits are payable to all eligible Australian Families. We live in a democracy and payment of this has been voted for.

I understand where you're coming from. Using Government benefits to support your family whilst you do what you want to do sticks in the craw of those that catch the 7.15am train to go to the crap job to pay their way.

They are legally entitled to it...ethically?...it depends on their ethics
FollowupID: 683370

Follow Up By: Road to Discovery - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:02

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:02
Chris 11726 - I bet your parents got money to help raise you. Back when I was a kid (1960's-1970's) it was called Child Endowment. If you dont get 5c in FBT to raise your kids, its either coz you haven't applied or because you earn a decent enough income as it is - well over $100K a year. Besides, the gvt is helping to raise your kids in many other ways that all our taxes are contributing to....protection, emergency services, schooling, libraries, roads, medical, immunisations, festivals, museums, etc etc etc. But dont panic..... $20 a kid in FBT does not go a long way towards basic essentials like food, clothes, mum's taxi, school books, electricity, roof over heads, letc etc let alone a holiday. That's why we still work!
FollowupID: 683371

Follow Up By: Chris11726 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:28

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:28
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not against public healthcare, help for the unemployed and those who can't work for age or health reasons.

What I'm against is the people that have never worked, the single mothers that have 5 kids to five different dads and then live off the payments.

If you have kid's you should be able to afford to raise them without relying on the government.

And let's not loose focus on what were looking at here, it's someone who wants the government to help fund there holiday around Australia!!!

FollowupID: 683373

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 15:04

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 15:04
Do you include aged pensioners in your rant as well.

If you arent getting anything towards your kids you are either earning enough not to or havent found out the rules.

Neither of which is any one elses fault.

We will take the pension as a right and be thankful

We have worked long and hard to get it and its not a perk its an entitlement.

If we choose to do a trip around Australia thats our business and how we finance

it has nothing to do with rorting the system.

We have only been paid what we were entitled to and can spend it as we see fit.

I am also against the breeding payment. I gave up work because I had to deal with exactly what you describe on a daily basis.

I was old enough to retire but kept working whilst these bogan women were pumping kids out flat out and also getting daycare paid for so they could be at home doing nothing.
Along with the druggies and the lazy who wouldnt work finally got to much Im afraid.

People who go on a working holiday are still legitimately allowed certain payments so lets not LOSE sight of the truth as far as these are concerned.

They are not getting the holiday funded just getting what they are legally entitled to.

Hardly their fault is it.

Just quietly the pension or whatever Centrelink pay doesnt go far towards a year on the road either.

FollowupID: 683384

Follow Up By: Chris11726 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 15:40

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 15:40
I never suggested you were rorting the system.

Nor did I suggest you were getting payments you weren't entitled to.

I hope you have a great trip around oz, and when you sit down at the end of a long day on the road and have a cold beer just remember.

It's on me.
FollowupID: 683387

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 23:58

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 23:58
jeez Chris thats a bit harsh-but a bit of a chuckle also :-)
FollowupID: 683445

Follow Up By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:49

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:49
Chris,

Yes mate - thanks for your support - we couldn't do it without you!

It's always good to have a martyr on board

LES
FollowupID: 683657

Reply By: Jude&theboys - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:42

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:42
I see so many people on news sites angry about what families get (I see it is at the what about me syndrome).....I think what people need to remember is that KIDS ARE AUSSIES TOO and all kids are supported by parents and gov when they are young and we then expect them to work and pay taxes to help support the next generation and the retired generation.....we are after all, not just an economy we are a society.

I claim benefits for my kids and I only work one day a week at present, I'm about to go back to uni part time so that I can get a job I will enjoy (and a better paid one but that's a side benefit for me) when the kids are older. I don't complain about the HECS bill I will have, I got the education so I don't mind contributing to it.

There is no reason why you couldn't get FTB whilst travelling, the rates are set depending on earnings not residence. It may help if you sign up to use the online system and within that to receive mail online because that will be much easier for you whilst travelling.
AnswerID: 413278

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 16:24

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 16:24
The most disfuncital government department is...."CENTRELINK"...other than the PRIME MINESTERS OFFICE, ..IE if you fill out a form....Copy it so you have some evidence you have done it...as further down the track they will come back to you with another "form" and if you get it wrong,you could pay for it,
I was given a large sum of money from an insurance company, so i informed centerlink about it...they tried to cut my pension because of the amount i received,...the person who was doing the paper work got it wrong...as the money i received was for "pain and suffering",and when i pointed that out to centerlink, they left my pension alone,because their is a section of the Social security act that covers "PAIN and SUFFERING
We are not here to rip the system "OFF" as some people do,a lot of people have worked all their life and are on the aged pension,service pension,veterans affairs pension,or what ever pension they happen to be on,some people for reasons only known to them self, wont go near Centerlink,
Centerlink wont tell you what you are entitled to claim for...YOU need to ask them, what you are entitled to,and every person is different, from the other person, when you put in a claim, you repeat the same answers every time and supply the same document's, Centerlink is always cross checking your answers from before.
I know of a person who gets a payment for living on his boat,which he is paying wharf fees,to tie up on, he has two children,and is on a pension.
So every one is different,and if we don't know their situation is ,it's best to stay out of it and leave them alone.

Cheers for now...WilliamH...Bunbury...WA.

AnswerID: 413290

Reply By: harrisinoz - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 20:14

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 20:14
WOW I thought I may open up a can of worms!!

Just to let those of you know who think I am having a "holiday" around Australia on Centrelink then you couldn't be further from the truth. We are selling our house and using our life savings to do this trip as well as working, something that a lot of "bludgers" wouldn't be able to do......

Just something to bear in mind for those of you who have such narrow minds and don't understand why we would still get FTB. I took my son's to the doctors yesterday, after paying $85 for prescriptions I have now got to pay a further $185 consultant fee....now I accept that I would have to pay this for myself but why should we have to pay for our kids, the same with the Dentist it cost about $50 just for a check up, then maybe $100+ for fillings etc.......so when you add this up over a year the FTB payment doesn't even come close! If we didn't have to pay for our kids for things that should be free then I would agree, but sadly we do.

A big thank you to those who answered my question you have all been a great help and I'm sorry that this has upset a lot of people!

Karen
AnswerID: 413315

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 21:19

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 21:19
Ask for what you are entitled to Centrelink treat you as a homeowner if you live in a van and have no other house.

Just be aware that spending all your life savings may not be a good idea.

We sold ours and placed the money in a private super fund which didnt endear us to Centrelink.

However its legal and we are old enough to withdraw some of it to buy another house.

You wont be living on the road forever and to spend it all and start again may be hard..

Some private health fund may help your costs with medical bills.

Also if you are not earning above a certain amount you may well qualify for a low income health care card which gives you PBS medicine for about $5 a time. Also some doctors bulk bill on these.

Some specialist consultations also attract a health care refund ask around, find out your entitlements and it may help you.

FollowupID: 683426

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 22:22

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 22:22
Hi Graham

We won't be spending all of our money, I'm planning on putting some away for when we settle back down again, our plan is to work a while then move on etc., - then again I could always live off my FTB payment!! :)

Thanks for the advice
FollowupID: 683437

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:20

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:20
"would have to pay this for myself but why should we have to pay for our kids?"

Because they're your kids.
Why should "we" have to pay for your kids?
FollowupID: 683629

Reply By: fisho64 - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 23:57

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 23:57
Its certainly true that there are many entitlements for families, pensioners, disabled etc etc, its part of our Oz society and I (having a fairly large family) have availed ourselves of it as and when entitled/needed.

BUT, contrary to the way it has been spelt out by some above who may feel a little guilty about receiving their cut-I cant say I have EVER had Centrelink "make" us accept a payment, or "do it for us without asking" or however its worded. Our experience is a multipage application of some sort.

Take it if you are entitled to it, but it would be better not to try and justify it in that way.
AnswerID: 413342

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:10

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:10
G/Day fisho64

When you think about it, it's better to see Born and Bred Aussie Tax Payers getting their Entitlements,more so than the current problems they are having with the New Arrivals up at Christmas Island, and the Billions of dollars it's costing, these people have not contributed to the country and going by reports, they expect Australia to support them for quite a while, I realise this happens world wide and some of these people have been through hell and back, but genuine Aussies should come first.
FollowupID: 683455

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:39

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:39
When we were traveling they paid us the remote area allowance without us ever knowing about it. It was added on to our rent assistance.

We didnt ask and didnt fill in any forms I guess its linked to post codes or something.

As far as rent assistance is concerned you fill in a form each time the rate alters and send it in. It has to be signed by the Landlord (camp manager)

Thats all you do.

I have found if you go in to Centrelink and tell them what you are going to do they generally tell you what you are entitled to.

FollowupID: 683459

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:12

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:12
Daza,

What Centrelink entitlements do the Christmas Island refugees receive?

A quick look at the Centrelink webpage would give you the information to express an informed opinion.

My wife is a refugee; she was 11 months old when her parents and brother arrived in Australia wearing the clothes they had been given by the Red Cross and with some photos and jewellery in their pockets. Half the group they escaped with were shot and/or arrested just short of the border. My mother in law had been arrested by the secret police and questioned prior to their escape.

Her parents worked 4 (and sometimes 5) jobs between them for 20 years until my father in law died; my mother in law received the widows’ pension for 2 months before she found a permanent position with a guaranteed pay. She ceased full time work at 75 and then obtained the pension. On the day of her 80th birthday she was delivering Meals on Wheels

My wife is a teacher; she has worked except for a total of 4 years family leave since graduating. My brother in law has a Doctorate in Australian History and is the Dean of a History Department at one of Melbourne’s Universities and has probably contributed more to the debate on what and whom is Australian than all of the posters on this forum.

Strangely enough under Centrelink statistical collection both my mother in law and my wife (as we receive the minimum amount of FTB) appear on Centrelink statistics as refugees in receipt of Centrelink benefits

Can you please explain to me how this family of refugees has been a drain on Australia’s resources?
FollowupID: 683485

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:37

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:37
I could go on and give you a reply, right or wrong I feel this is not the Forum to discuss this topic, I feel the whole debate has got out of hand, to any person who has been offended, please accept my apologies.
FollowupID: 683522

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 23:59

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 23:59
"I feel this is not the Forum to discuss this topic, I feel the whole debate has got out of hand."

You made the comment in the 1st place so you obviously think this forum is the appropriate place to discuss this. It does not take much to think how a comment such as yours could be considered offensive by any non Australian born taxpayer

You made the comment and then apologise for it when someone responds?

Surely putting the brain in gear first before typing would be a better approach

I wasnt arcing up at the refugee comment, although it is important in my family's life, I responded on the basis that you believe that because by accident of birth you are more entitled to those born overseas.

FollowupID: 683593

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:25

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:25
If you have to ask US then I would wonder if you feel justified in your own mind about receiving it.

I agree with Fisho's response. I stopped reading about half way through as I feel so downheartened. We got ZIP. And I was only in the Army as an NCO also. My wife did not work. Three boys. You lot get so much these days it makes me sick. I know I am going to cop it but I don't give a rats.

On holiday for months and . . . . . . . . If you cannot afford it don't do it. Don't expect me to pay.

Phil
AnswerID: 413362

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 01:21

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 01:21
Yep, and these people discussing this thread have owned houses also, so are well and truly not battling, yet want the cream paid for by us.

Disgusting i find, how Graham H even describes how to rort the system by placing the funds from his house into a fund so it doesnt interfer with his Centrelink payments.

Another kiwi that flew the Coup alright, now we know why.
FollowupID: 683595

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:18

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:18
Excuse me it is not a rort It is a perfectly legal way of investing the funds.

When my wife comes of pension age we will possibly not get a pension.

Its no different to salary sacrificing.

Anyway the proceeds of a house sale are not considered assets for 12 months and if you then buy a house only the balance will become an asset.

As the fund mentioned is my wifes and she is not old enough to draw a pension it is allowable to do that.

Even Centrelink will tell you that

As far as the snide comment about being a Kiwi is concerned, you obviously know nothing about the pension systems in either country so butt out

If i was in NZ I would get a full pension even if I was a millionaire.
I would however pay tax on it.

Living here 91% of my pension is paid by NZ and the minor amount I get from Aussie wouldnt keep the average Aussie in booze for a week

So get your facts straight before you rave on about something you know nothing about

And its not a Coup its a Coop

FollowupID: 683618

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:38

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:38
On holiday for months and . . . . . . . . If you cannot afford it don't do it. Don't expect me to pay.

Well said Phil, but as it seems there are many EOers who obviously do.
FollowupID: 683632

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:56

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:56
Nobody is asking any of you to pay

The OP asked if they would still get the payment they receive at home if they

sell up and go on a WORKING trip.

If they are entitled to it they will get it If not they wont.

Quite simple really

As far as we are concerned we didnt get any more than we would have got if we had a rented house and stayed home.

What we did with the house money has nothing to do with it as its allowable under Centrelink and ATO rules.

We are also still paying taxes on the interest from the fund.

Also on my NZ pension I lose 25% each month in exchange rates but Im not raving about that

The amount that Centrelink paid us was less than 10% of the cost of the trip.

We paid for the rest gladly and would do it again.

Its all about knowing the rules and obviously from what has been posted here most dont but still spout off about it.

Jealousy seems to have reared its ugly head.

FollowupID: 683636

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:18

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:18
I started typing and then thought "Why bother". So far we are comfy and when I pack it in after this chemo that isn't working my wife will be well off. Only because of my insurance. Not any Government handout. Jealousd NAH. I will see the Cape first though.

Cheers
FollowupID: 683647

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:23

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:23
Im sorry to hear that and my follow up was addressed to the follow ups to your

post definitely not to you.
FollowupID: 683648

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:40

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:40
Yeah I got a little pi65656ed. Apologies.
FollowupID: 683653

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:45

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:45
Me back again. The only time I wish to upset a Kiwi is when we beat the All blacks. Okay?

I really did not read all you said. Jusat jumped in, boots and all.

Phil

And at least Parra won.
FollowupID: 683655

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:51

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:51
No worries Hope you stick around long enough to see the Aussies beat the All Blacks

Dont hold your breath ROFL

Whos Parra
FollowupID: 683659

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:10

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:10
After reading most of this thread, I going to ad Cetrelink benefits to the list of non discussion points along side religion and children.

It certainly brings out the passion in people.

Patrick
AnswerID: 413395

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 18:01

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 18:01
That makes two of us - i'm going to hide under a stone..........
FollowupID: 683530

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 23:24

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 23:24
Patrick-you forgot dogs, generators, Nissan's, fridges, early morning starts, driving habits, P plate drivers, quad bikes, shooting, and the Nullabor Rail access track on your list of "Do Not Discuss".

Harris-dont feel guilty, if your entitled to it then bloody well claim it.
But, predictably (to me at least?) this is a foolish and useless place to ask the question you posted. Nothing useful to you came from here and you still need to go to Centrelink!

Good luck with the trip!
FollowupID: 683591

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:52

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:52
Thanks Fisho we will have great trip

FollowupID: 683627

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:16

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:16
Aussie kids or imported kids We are copying the sociatistic habits of England and Europe and also their greedy wayd.

You have them you pay for them. We did. No two cars. No colour TV (not until the boys finished school). No holidays. No HONEYMOON either. NO BEER IN THE FRIDGE for years. THATS NOT A LIE EITHER. No ensuite. Just an old 18 year old holden. Then a cheap ford. No restaurants. Christmas presents - home made.

There are too many younger families > 40 years old who expect the government (US) to pay for their luxury. Yes a plasma is a luxury. What about all the rips to bali when you are receiving child minding.

I think I better stay away from this thread it boils my blood that we have so amny that say "I am entitled to it" and write off the bludging title that way. And NO our sons do not accept these funds. They work up to 16 hours a day and get a good income to pay their own way.Which post said that they still have to buy the kids clothes!!!! And who was talking about remote shchooling allowance. Yep

Thats what you get for having kids. And LOVING them.
AnswerID: 413525

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:16

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:16
mate that is the way the tax system is set up now-like it or not. You dont have to like it.

It is more complex than it should be and hence the Henry Review of the Tax System.
It basically is the same as lower income families paying a lower tax rate and that is probably what is going to come out of the Henry Review.

At the moment it is (I think) roughly along the lines of a family of 2 children and income of $55K being tax neutral, after FTB etc.
Basically anyone not claiming their FTB is exactly the same as not claiming a tax refund.
And anyone who doesnt claim their tax refund along with all deductions is well-a mug to use the polite term. Same as buying at expensive fuel stations and whining about the price.

Good luck to your sons if they are entitled to it and dont claim it. I dont know where you grew up-but unless you were in the bush (real) then you probably wouldnt understand what "Remote Area Schooling Allowance" is for.
Do you think kids born on a sheep station should get no education unless they can bus the 300km to a school daily?
These allowances are to encourage people to stay in the areas where workers are needed, not "bludging" in the city while whining about people in the bush getting this that and the other.

Yes even possible seasonal workers such as "Harrisinoz" are needed outside of cities.

Most people can put together a hardluck growing up story. Times have changed-and they are going to keep changing.
FollowupID: 683617

Reply By: harrisinoz - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:02

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:02
I STARTED THIS SO LET ME FINISH IT.......

I HAVE SPOKEN TO CENTRELINK AND THIS IS WHAT THEY SAID.....AT THE END OF THE FINANCIAL YEAR WE WILL HAVE TO PUT OUR TAX RETURN IN (WHICH IS LAW) UNLESS WE HAVE EARN'T OVER $130,000 THEN WE WILL AUTOMATCIALY RECEIVE A PAYMENT BACK IN MY BANK ACCOUNT - IF I WANT IT OR NOT - FOR FAMILY TAX BENEFIT -

So there you go, you've all got hot under the collar for something no one can do anything about, even if i said I don't want it, they would still give it to me.....I am spending my money in town's that will need my money, in holiday parks that will need my money, in shops that will need my money and when I say my money I MEAN MY BLOODY MONEY - MONEY I HAVE WORKED HARD FOR AND SAVED, YES SAVED NOT FROM CENTRELINK.
AnswerID: 413538

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 14:02

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 14:02
Quite right dont forget to fill out the 54 questions to get a health care card

LOL
FollowupID: 683637

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 14:03

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 14:03
Im getting mixed signals from your message ...:-)

well said!
FollowupID: 683638

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:55

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:55
What about the allowance for your replacement safety glasses you needed while changing the oil on your car. Better claim them also. After all if it wasn'y for the car you would never have arrived at work. Oh!!! NEARLY forgot the sun screen allowance as well. I also think you should get a subsidised loan for the HF radio for the "School of the Air" while you are at it. The kids need it for education requirements.

Yep Next time just ask Centrelink. The last thing a lot of the older generation want to hear is someone complaining about the size of or the lack of anything that can be construed as a "handout".

Phil
FollowupID: 683661

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:04

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:04
Phil

No one is complaining, it makes no difference if we get FTB or not to us going, I was simply asking a question on a forum that has a lot of members, a lot of those who have travelled around Australia with families. I totally agree and understand that there are many people out there who manage to "beat" the system and to be honest live a better lifestyle than I do, it's us honest, tax paying people who get bleep upon from a great height and who struggle to pay the bills from one week to the next. When I had my first son I hadn't even heard of FTB, I was handed a form upon leaving hospital and told to fill this out, which I did and so do all the millions of other Australian families. As I said once the ATO has seen that our earnings are going to be under $130,000 (this would be the same even if we were staying at home) then this payment would be paid in my bank account........I'm not lying to the ATO or to Centrelink, I'm not trying to beat the system, just being honest - so shoot me if you want, I'm doing nothing wrong......

Karen
FollowupID: 683678

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:32

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:32
Phil your getting a bit carried away now-Im guessing that you are in the city.
Seasonal workers such as Karen are needed in country areas, hence the need to offer incentives to encourage people to head out there away from the freeways and subsidised public transport etc and tackle some work where there is a shortage.

The "older generation" get "handouts" as well.
FollowupID: 683683

Reply By: ModSquad - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 13:11

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 13:11
This thread is being locked now.

Regards Modsquad

Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 413631

Sponsored Links