Beautiful, beautiful Queensland

Submitted: Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 23:35
ThreadID: 77767 Views:3172 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

In July I will be in Innamincka (if not still under water) or somewhere there abouts for two weeks with family and friends. After that I have six weeks to wander around Queensland. I have read a few blogs etc. and they have given me some ideas on where to go and what to see. This is a leave without pay trip so I want to make the most of it. Hopefully some of you will be able to help me with ideas on the best places to visit. What are your favourite places in Queensland and what makes them your favourite?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 00:04

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 00:04
Bob, I asked the same question last year and I reckon the answers will still be good.

Thread 69401

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 413218

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:48

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:48
Gone Bush,

Thanks for the reply. The thread pretty much covers it. I have now got highlights all over my map.

Regards,
Bob
FollowupID: 683341

Reply By:- Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 05:22

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 05:22
G'day Robert,

Where do I start, you are really spoilt for choice. I'm sure a lot of people with give you lots of great places to see.

For me, from what I have seen, Lawn Hill Gorge, Riversleigh, Mt Surprise area, Atherton Tablelands, Cooktown & the Cape, the coast between Cairns & Townsaville is magic, Port Douglas, Mt Isa, Longreach, Winton Cooper Creek, I could go on for a while.

For me you get great diversity between sitting on the banks of the cooper or the dunes on the edge of the simpson to the amazing oasis of Lawn Hill to the lush tropics of the atherton tablelands.

It's all good, just take your time to stop and look at the scenery, not just drive through it.

Have a great Trip

Cheers
Ev
AnswerID: 413222

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:04

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:04
Hello Ev,

There certainly is a lot to see. It is a huge state. I tend to wander along a bit and see what the day reveals but I do like to have a rough plan of things I would like to see before I start.

I have often found that the places I really want to see are not that good when I get there and some place I have never heard of keeps me there for days, That's the fun of travelling around this great country.

Thanks,
Bob
FollowupID: 683346

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 06:00

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 06:00
Dare I say it and say Mt Moffatt hehehe

See my latest blog for more details.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 413223

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:38

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:38
Great blog. I will put Mt Moffatt on the list.

Thanks,
Bob
FollowupID: 683338

Follow Up By: zook - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:18

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:18
Bob

If you are in the 'area' it would also be worth having a look at Carnarvon Gorge, there is not much driving, but some very impressive walks.

zook
FollowupID: 683473

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:28

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:28
Seen a fair bit of Qld, though not eastern Gulf nor the Cape north of Pt Douglas.
Everyone will have different ideas depending on what interests them, their stage of life (kids), how far off road they will get and so forth.

Areas we have liked include Lawn Hill, as mentioned before the Oasis amongst the spinifex and Gulf Plains, Canarvon Gorge (as wow factor I rate better than Mt Moffatt in the whole Canarvon NP region, not taking anything away from MT Moffatt).

IF you are coming up from either Innamincka and or Birdsville, then my kids & I really liked Diamantina Lakes, again water in the middle of no where when we were there in July.
Longreach/ Winton/Barcaldine if you are interested in pastoral history and the birthplace of the ALP. Stockmans Hall of fame, Qantas museum, school of the air. I suppose you just get some idea of the vastness of Australia and the potential that exists if only we had more water.

The Cairns/ Atherton Tablelands/ Pt Douglas and Great Barrier Reef is probably 2+ weeks on it's own, before you even think about going up the Cape which I haven't done. IF you are in that part of the world, make sure you do see the outer reef by sea plane (Whitsunday's) or large Cats around Cairns.

6 weeks in Qld, not long enough to do it all, so suppose just work out a track from Innamincka to Cairns and back, allowing a week around Cairns, without too many other diversions.
AnswerID: 413250

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 21:18

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 21:18
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the answer. I haven't made it easy for anyone because I didn't give any back ground on myself. I will be travelling alone, I am 58 and mostly camp in a tent although I often just roll out my swag on the ground. I normally don't make detailed plans because I like to follow my nose.

Regards,
Bob
FollowupID: 683425

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:57

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:57
Hi Bob,

No one seemed to mention Currawinya NP. Is in the SW region of Qld and if coming accross from Innaminka you could make a stop over at Noccundra for a beaut camp on the Wilson Rv. I could have spent a while at Currawinya but as per normal, work was not too far away on the horizon and calling loudly so it was only a couple of days for me but I still got a good appreciation of the place and would highly reccomend it to anyone in the area.

I thought Winton was superb as well for many reasons: great friendly people, Waltzing Matilda Centre as well as all the Dinosaur stuff in that area. Also a beaut NP just sth of town but the name illudes me at the moment (Bladensburg I think), worth a visit.

If you do end up in Winton, coming from the sth I would reccomend a drive through Welford NP (not far from Windorah, to it's East) and continue on up to Lark Quarry before coming to Winton. It is an isolated but very beautiful part of Queensland if you ask me.

Some of my thoughts, have fun.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 413369

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 22:59

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 22:59
Hello Trevor,

I have just been looking at your photographs and blogs and looking up all the places you have been to on the trip. It has made me restless. I want to go now. Like you, I love the wide open spaces and find them very relaxing.

Thanks for your reply,
Bob
FollowupID: 683590

Sponsored Links