Electric Trailer brake service

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 07:45
ThreadID: 77772 Views:4137 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a trailer with electric brakes and reckon they need servicing. I have tools and relatively excellent mechanical skills, but what is involved in doing a service? Last year I just gave them a squirt with CRC and that did the trick, this year it may be more detailed. Any assistance gratefully accepted?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:23

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:23
You need to be prepared to pull off the hub, check and re pack the wheel bearings, possibly replace the magnets, depending on how much use it's had, possibly replace the brake linings, replace everything and adjust the brakes.

Not all that hard but can be a pain.
AnswerID: 413237

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:25

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 08:25
Bonz

about the only thing you can do is check your pad surfaces for wear and exchange if getting towards the end of their life and it wouldnt hurt to give them a wash out with detergent and let dry b4 you put the brake drum back on. a little crc or similar doesnt hurt either,cheer.
AnswerID: 413238

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:34

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:34
Bonz, I'm just learning. Wear on magnet easy to pick (Alko manual shows you what to look for though). If you want to replace lining it's fidly with springs and stuff - suggest take a photo first or do one side at a time. Re previous thread, drum cost me $28 each side to grind. Exchange shoe with new lining cost $44 each side - I didnt shop around so dunno what others charge. In putting it back together be sure to adjust brakes the same - I pretty much wrecked a tyre because brake effort was unequal and must have been skidding on left side (so at first I didnt realise it) and sharp stuff has scratched tyre deeply. That wont happen again! Cheers
AnswerID: 413275

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 22:57

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 22:57
Bonz
As per replies with attention to adjusting them back up as they don't have self adjusters on them.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 413337

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 20:19

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 20:19
'I have tools and relatively excellent mechanical skills'

with a statement like that, you would be far better off spending your money on a seession with a competent Psychiatrist.

DD

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright, until you here them speak
AnswerID: 413818

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 17:49

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 17:49
Relatively excellent when compared to my skills as a Musician!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 684279

Sponsored Links