Free Camps for Camper trailer - Port Augusta to Uluru

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:50
ThreadID: 77795 Views:7334 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks
Looking on recommendations for good free camping spots between Port Augusta and Woomera and between Marla and Kulgera/Victory Downs that would be suitable for a camper trailer. I have Camps 4, but it doesn't really indicate the suitability of the campsites for camper trailers, which unfortunately at times combine the worst of caravans (needing vehicle access) and tents (need to be able to hammer pegs into the ground).

Ideally the camp spot would be far enough off the road to not be overly disturbed by the sound of trucks on the highway.

Thanks
Graham
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 09:25

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 09:25
Hi Graham,

While there are some fences along this stretch of road there are also quite a few opportunities to get off the road that don't show up in the books. I have found that a good way of finding a camp is to use Google Earth - look for vehicle tracks going off the road at a spot where you think you will be at about stopping time. Takes a bit of time but we have located many "unofficial" but frequently used sites this way. Using GE you should be able to determine whether spots are sandy or rocky, and probably camper trailers would go a bit further into the bush than a caravan would.

HTH,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 413376

Reply By: bruce - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:36

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:36
Pimba..near the Woomera turn off is good and free...Agnes creek is o.k...most of the camp sites listed in camps 4 are suitable for camper trailers...as for noise...ear plugs are a must for me , cannot and would not travel without them...cheers
AnswerID: 413389

Reply By: Simon (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 00:16

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 00:16
When you get further up the country and you are looking for more camping places you have a lot more options.

You can spend a night for free at Curtin Springs Station - they have free camping near to their provided toilet/shower facilities. This is all conveniently 100 kms from the Rock (Uluru) or 82 or something from Yulara.

Yulara will charge you to camp there but you aren't allowed to camp anywhere else, so you may as well spend a night there, and if you think about say 2 days out there, one at Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and one at the Rock then going off to Kings Canyon I can give you some more free places to camp.

If you want to drop me an email (details in my profile) then I will gladly give you more information about all three locations mentioned here (I work as a tour guide out there when I don't have a broken wrist). Be more than happy to assist with giving you a bit of a do-it-yourself itinerary if you like.

Cheers,
Simon
AnswerID: 413730

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:43

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:43
The 'free' camping at Curtin springs is not so free if you want power or a shower , At Yulara 1 night only is a waste of time as you would be wasting 2 days of the 3 day pass required to look at Ayers rock and the Olgas.
FollowupID: 683888

Follow Up By: Simon (NT) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 15:29

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 15:29
Alloy,

I run through CS every few days and camp there overnight, but don't use their public camp ground, so if you say they charge for power then this would be an EXPECTED charge, after all, power isn't free anywhere in the world, but if you are trying to save money then you'd save it there and recharge/plug in at Yulara where you don't have a choice about free camping.
I don't know about charging for their shower facilities, I've never used them and never asked about them.

I also only spend one night at Yulara every time, yet spend two days in the NP... but I'm not posting any itinerary's up here as stated if the OP wishes to find out they can email me at any time for more information.
FollowupID: 685286

Reply By: Member - Chris and Lindsay (VI - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 15:16

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 15:16
Lake Hart has free camping but be aware that the Ghan roars past at night.
AnswerID: 413773

Sponsored Links