Is HF- SSB EMAIL/SAILMAIL/EMAIL received in Australia?

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:02
ThreadID: 7781 Views:2778 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After an extensive search on the Internet I can find HF- SSB EMAIL/SAILMAIL/EMAIL for all sorts of countries around the world.

http://www.yachtcom.co.uk/comms/Frequencies.htm ( make sure you wait for the entire download- only 150 Kb)
http://members.dodo.com.au/~kevcat/hffreq.htm
http://members.dodo.com.au/~kevcat/kevs_scan_page.htm

But Australia does not seem to be mentioned anywhere.

Does any know the frequencies for HF- SSB EMAIL/SAILMAIL/EMAIL in Australia and who sells this service?

Guy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard- Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:42

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:42
The Marine people can give you the information you need.

There is a member here named "wazza" (his name is warren Warren, email is wazzagray@yahoo.co.uk) who is a navigator on a seismic boat and would have the answers you need. He may see this post and reply, otherwise email him. In May he was heading to China but may be back now.

I live in S.E. Asia and we used to use Singapore Radio (the Marine Radio) to transmit data from Aircraft via HF, and we also used it for telephone connections from the aircraft. Now most of this is done by SatCom.

Hope this helps

Dick

AnswerID: 33590

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:43

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:43
Sorry for the Typo, his name is Warren
FollowupID: 24095

Follow Up By: wazza - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:45

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:45
We use a VSAT system via DMS
in Scotland. Pay US$12,000 a month, but we need the reliability and throughput for the amount of data we transfer.

If you look at the dome on top of our boats you can see it is also not practical for a 4wd from point of view of space needed:

[ View Image]

The only time i have used HF for data was when we set up our own Differential GPS station in NZ early this year, we used a modem through the headphone jack in two Icom HF units to transmit the differential GPS correction data over about 100km from the land unit to the unit on the boat.

Speaking of which, I am not happy camper cos I am about to go back to Perth on the weekend for another survey off WA. And the weather in Melbourne has just turned sunny. Groan...

Wazza.
FollowupID: 24108

Follow Up By: Guy - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:07

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:07
Wazza
There is no emoticon on this forum, but when I opened your [view Image] and I saw your ship, I laughed and laughed so much.
I have not laughed that much for a long time.
You certainly did take me by surprised by the words:
>>you can see it is also not practical for a 4wd from point of view of space needed

Yes I certainly can see :-) .
You certainly have some gear to work with.
She is a big ship with enough antennas and I am sure electronic gear to have a lot of fun.

Compare to your ship, my nissan looks like a toy and the couple of HF antennas look like some paper clips.

Thanks anyway for the information, but the size of your ship and electronic gear made me laugh.
I use to repair pin ball and compuater games. But this is incredible big gear.

Let me know when you come to Brisbane, I'll show you my 4WD and my radios?
I'm sure you'll be laughing too for the shear smallness of my equipment.
Cheers Guy
FollowupID: 24114

Sponsored Links