Different tow hitches...

Am saving and researching camper trailers (and will be for some time before I get to buy one) but also driving an aging commodore. Would love to upgrade to a 4WD one day but for not am putting it off. Problem is that if I buy a camper trailer that hitches onto my towbar and then when it comes time to upgrade the car what do you do if it has a different sort of hitch (is that the right word even)?

Realistically anything I buy is going to be 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) hand but when did they start doing the other sorts? can the trailer be changed over or is it buy a new trailer time?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:23

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:23
A vehicle's tow bar should accept any type of hitch you choose to bolt to the tongue.

The most common type of tow bar should have a removable receiver hitch that slides into a square receiver and retained by a hitch pin.

As far as the different type of off road hitches available, let me confuse you by directing you to Campertrailers Org - Off road Couplings

The most common off road coupling is the Treg Hitch.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413427

Follow Up By: Jude&theboys - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:34

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:34
oh I see what you mean about confusing me further - who knew there were so many variations!?

When I first had this crazy idea I thought it was a simple thing to go buy a camper trailer (the hard bit being the saving for one) but it seems nothing is so simple.

So are you saying then that the tow ball I have on the back of my wagon could be changed to a different type of hitch? My understanding is that it wouldn't be so easy to change the hitch on a camper trailer. It's a bugger because I'm aware that my old car has done well over 300,000km and as such has a relatively limited lifespan. The whole camper trailer purchase would be easier I suspect if I could get new wheels first.....but that would be putting it off longer than I'd like.
FollowupID: 683515

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:55

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:55
Yes, your assumption is correct.

With the Treg Hitch for example you simply unbolt the 50mm tow ball and replace it with a U shaped Treg receiver hitch. The corresponding polyurethane bit that is part of the Treg coupling and welded to the trailer's A frame, fits into the U shaped receiver and is retained by a receiver pin.

Some of the couplings on the reference site I mentioned even use the same 50mm ball, or an extended neck version of it.

As I mentioned before, the most common type of coupling used on camper trailers would be the Treg and is suitable for most purposes.
The variations have been largely invented because some people can't line up the treg coupling to insert the pin but I myself have not experienced this problem.

The only other consideration worth mentioning is that after buying your camper, some sort of height adjustment may be required to end up with a reasonably straight level.
For this purpose adjustable tow hitches that fit into the square receiver on the tow bar are available.
Basically it will depend on the height of the tow bar coupling (from the ground) on your towing vehicle and the type of camper you choose. An off road camper will have it's tow coupling somewhat higher than an on road eqivilent.

Nothing to worry about that can't be easily overcome.

Bill.

Enjoy your decision making.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 683517

Follow Up By: Jude&theboys - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:03

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:03
thanks so much Bill, for answering clearing and NOT making me feel like an idiot at the same time!

I didn't realise it was that simple, sounds almost inexpensive too.

I'm thinking that for me and the boys it might be best to hedge our bets and get a semi offroad or an offroad camper even though initially we will be using it onroad because of the wagon. It does help to give me a clearer idea of what to look for in a camper....just gotta find the $$ to pay for it, am realistically hopeful of scraping together a few thousand in a little over 12 months (next years tax return time). So hopefully only one more summer in the tent before we upgrade to the camper trailer.
FollowupID: 683519

Reply By: outback epicurean - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:59

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:59
Hi

Our first basic camper had a normal 50 mm ball type hitch. I chnaged it over to a treg type coupling without any problem. Simple job for a welder or steel place

cheers
AnswerID: 413443

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:30

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:30
Gday Jude
When you and the boys come to the Pyrenees, have a look at the campers that are there and get some face to face advice. Its not hard and certainly not scary.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 413449

Follow Up By: Jude&theboys - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:40

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:40
probably a good plan. Just spent too much time drooling over things I can't afford online this weekend (kids at dad's and mummy on ebay and the trader section here and carsales etc)....the poor old commondoor is in need of a service atm but me mate has been flat stick.

There are just so many choices out there.
FollowupID: 683527

Sponsored Links