Hot inside Oztent?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 20:50
ThreadID: 77827 Views:6489 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help me out oztent question I'm having?

We are looking at maybe buying an oztent but would like to know if it is hot inside on a sunny day?
Had a dome before and it was so hot that we bought tarps, poles etc. Sold dome and looking at using just a tent for weekend camping and oztent looks the go.
Oztent looks really good with sleeping area and side panels for cooking area but we are concerned how it handles on a sunny day and if it was hot inside awining for cooking area?
We know the tarp over it really helps on a hot day but rather have no tarp over it = less stuff to pack in car and quick to pack and unpack for weekend stays.
Any advice or experience from Oztent campers would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:06

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:06
We have a RV2 and bought a fly as well as the basic tent - this reduces heat build up and keeps the tent dry both outside (rain) and inside (condensation on a cold night). It is quick to put up and take down/fold and store. The tent also has large windows on three sides plus the door - all with insect screens. But iin practice, we are rarely in the tent during the day. As for the side curtains on the cooking area, they provide a lot of ventilation with the doors opening on the sides. We reverse the wagon up to the (fourth) open side and the tailboard provides the table for cooking/preparation.
Rgds
Andrew
AnswerID: 413487

Reply By: uneekwahn - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:08

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:08
We've only recently purchased an RV4 and used it over the Easter weekend.

We had temperatures of around 25-28c with cloudy days with patches (2 or so hours) of sunshine.

We noticed it was a bit warm inside the tent, but believed that it was more to do with the fact that it blocks the wind so you have no "wind chill factor".

We also found that if we opened all of the windows right up and left the front doors open (including the no-see-um mesh) it kept the tent quite nice and cool.

We do plan on purchasing the fly (tarp) and front panels in the future and believe that even if it does get warm, it would easily be rectified by opening the windows / doors to allow a breeze (if available) through.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jason.
AnswerID: 413488

Follow Up By: kiwicampers - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:21

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:21
Hi
We are looking at getting the RV4 although I was a bit concerned they are now being manufactured in China. I will be interested to hear if your tent was made in China and if so how it compares in wear to those which were manufactured in Australia.
Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 683620

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:09

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:09
All Tents, Camper Trailers, or anything with a canvas/nylon/poly structure will get hot under the mildest sunny day.

That's just the way it is.

Jim.

AnswerID: 413489

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:13

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 21:13
Hi
We have the RV4 and for us, it is the best tent that we have owned. The two accessories that we have is the Standard Side Panel, which is a great wind break and the fly. The top of the fly is silver, so this help to reflect the heat and it does keep the tent cooler, as well as protection from bird droppings. There is lots of ventilation in the tent, great real window and side windows, plus the large front doors. On the real hot nights, with them all open, it gives great cross ventilation.

We love the Oztent and highly recommend them.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413490

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:15

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:15
Stephen

On ours we fit an adjustable spreader bar between the two poles at the front of the awning.

Stops the front 'flopping' around and if it rains we would have one upright lower than the other so that the water would run off the awning at one corner. We would put a bucket under to top up our water supplies if needed.

Paul
FollowupID: 683614

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:41

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 13:41
Hi Paul
I have thought about it, but have not done that yet. I have seen then on caravan annexes and they seem to work very well.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 683633

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 15:07

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 15:07
We have the RV4 and love it. We actually can sleep with all 4 of our littlies and us in there with out anyone on top of anyone else!! We use the fly and we have the peaked side panels for the front awning. As someone else said, we don't spend much time in it during the day, and as someone else said, tents DO get hot if its sunny out. But with all the ventilation options we haven't noticed it being TOO hot in there. 3 of our younguns still take daytime naps in there with no complaints of it being too hot.
We are awaiting delivery of a foxwing to attach to our trailer and join it to the tent awning for the 'perfect' set up!!
FollowupID: 683640

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 15:09

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 15:09
Paul, can you explain a bit more about the 'spreader bar' idea?
FollowupID: 683641

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 19:34

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 19:34
Get an adjustable tent pole with holes in the flattened ends.

Slip each hole down over the spike on top of the uprights, then fit the canvas over that.

Adjust the sideways tension with the thumbscrew adjuster so that it's tight. The canvas sits nicely on top and looks better too.

That also enables you to have the rope off the pole straight out rather than at 45 degrees so the 'pull' is in line with ropes at the rear of he tent.

Paul
FollowupID: 683672

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 22:46

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 22:46
Agreed, can't exactly remeber our oz tent, but it is great and cool in summer and warmer in winter. When you get the tent you'll teach yourself on what vents you need open and what ones you need to close. With the fly they are grreat too. We went camping in the middle of a queensland summer and had a doze thru the day and it was cool to sleep in. temp outside was 35-8 degrees celcius.

Have fun and enjoy.
AnswerID: 413501

Reply By: happytravelers - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 06:42

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 06:42
I agree with Jim, any canvas tent will get hot inside, the only way to reduce it is with a tarp over the top leaving an air space between the tarp and the tent.

Jon
AnswerID: 413513

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 07:11

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 07:11
Any tent is hot inside during summer, even with a fly.

One of the reasons we bought our Oztent is for the large awning.
We also have peak side panels and find under the awning is both protected and cooler during summer. We only go into the tent section to sleep.

The only time we had an uncomfortable few hours was when the sun was streaming in via the open front one morning at Robe and a fly would not have helped.
Due to the layout of the caravan park it was not possible to have the vehicle in front of the awning like I usually would.
I plan to buy a front section that can be left sloping at an angle but haven't done this yet.

That is the beauty of the Oztent. So many accessories you can add when required.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 413517

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:11

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:11
Bill

We have the two side panels too.

Rather than the official Front Panel I made one out of shade cloth. This blocks the sun and gives privacy as well in the situation you describe. You can still see out so don't feel hemmed in.

Also is a great benefit when raining too.

Paul
FollowupID: 683613

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 18:34

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 18:34
Hi Paul,

A great idea using shade cloth. I'll make one up sometime.

I actually made a groundsheet out of shade cloth as I found the original groundsheet I bought held water rather than let it through.

Noticed a mesh style groundsheet is now available but there's nothing wrong with the one I made.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 683664

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 07:50

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 07:50
We have the fly, which we leave permantley attached, which helps keep it cool. As others have said though, it's just the nature of tents that they get hot in the sun..

I recommend the peaked (deluxe) side panels. They allow you to put a peak in the awning whereas the standard side panels leave the awing flat and it collects water. We also have the front panel which effectively gives you a 2 room tent.
AnswerID: 413520

Follow Up By: SKELLY_POD - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 22:51

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 22:51
Hi Mr Bitchi

We have two RV4 tents and use the oz tent water gutter c/w down pipe to join them front to front. We have experienced flooding so bad we were evacuated from the caravan park but our bedding never got wet due to the excellent canvas that kept the water out.
You say you leave the fly on..... do you mean you do not unzip it from the tent? I find with the fly and tent I have too many ropes, maybe overkill... do you rope down all poles?

Regards Rob and Donna
FollowupID: 683703

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 07:40

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 07:40
Yes I leave it zipped on. When set up I have the 4 corner pegs, two rear pegs and the fly roped and pegged. The awning takes 2 ropes but they and the poles pack in the side panels bag. I've never had to use any ropes on the tent itself. The fly and corner pegs are sufficient. The fly and all ropes fold up with the tent.
FollowupID: 683715

Reply By:- Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:38

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:38
Thank you for all your replies.
A lot of interesting & valuable comments to keep in the back of my mind before splashing $$$ on oztent if we do go ahead with it.

Thanks again.
AnswerID: 413644

Sponsored Links