80 series rear window wiper no go? any ideas what would be most common causes?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:56
ThreadID: 77860 Views:5887 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

We have a 96 80 series and the rear window wiper does not want to work.
I had a bit of a look at the wiring in the steering colomn to see if i could find if it was a faulty switch, but it got a bit confusing.

I checked to see if there was any power to the rear loom in the tailgate when the wiper is switched to on, but there was not.

There was however power in a single wire when the hwindow heater was turned on as WELL as in a twin loom, which had power in BOTH wires, (when i assumed one was + and one would of been - which gave me a thought of "bad earth"

But the wiring loom does not just run to the wiper motor, it has some wires comming from the wiper motor on to the heater / locking mechanism, which then leaves me confused again.

I read there is an earth up in the rear head lining which can give grief but not sure how to get into there without doing some damage.

There is also a box located in the rear tail gate with "wiper control unit" on it, which looks all fine when i looked in there but does have a slight "smoked" smell.

Then yesterday when Mrs was using the rear wiper suddenly moves up and then stopped in the up position??

I seem to get confused with cruiser wiring as they dont seem to run simple power in / out like old Holdens.

I know its a bit dzzy my info but I just thought there might be a common issue or a more common sense approach someone know?

Regards
GN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:20

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:20
Gday GN,

Had the same problem mate. Ended up being the relay box at the back. Its under the door panel on the passenger side. Mine was a yellow/browny box about the sixe of a phone. Got one from the wreckers. Toyota wanted lots of dollars.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 413618

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:30

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:30
Hi Matt

Thanks for info.

GN
FollowupID: 683721

Reply By: Ruffstuff. - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 13:57

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 13:57
Im interested to see what you find...
I Have a similar problem on my 95 80 series, the rear wiper works on the slow setting but not on the fast setting.
AnswerID: 413636

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:15

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:15
mmmm
priced a box at toyota and = $230

apparently same part # in all 80 series wagons, so mate has old 80 series so will see if he will let me tax his for 5 min to prove if is or not.

lke i said mine looks fine on circuit board but there is some kind of littl black box on board and it has that "some one has let the smoke out" smell .

apparently all these things run on SMOKE, as when they let the smoke out they never work properly again!

regards
GN
FollowupID: 683736

Follow Up By: Ruffstuff. - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:46

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:46
digressing slightly,
I recently had cause to obtain a part for the cruiser directly from China.

Mr Toyota quoted me $350 for the same item and I ended up paying $90 for it after doing a google search on the part number I was provided with by Toyota.
the part arrived and is identical, possibly even the original manufacturer.

this could be an option for you if you have no other luck.

They were very helpful with verifying it was the same item.

http://www.t-rade.com/
FollowupID: 683739

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:57

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 14:57
Hi ruffstuff

interesting link, thanks

will test with mates later and see if it is the box , then try local wrecker , then will try your contact if no go.

rgds
GN
FollowupID: 683742

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 19:28

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 19:28
Bip BIP

went to mates, took his relay box out and put in our 80 and yep, wiper went! so prob solved? NOPE!
we then put mine in his bus just for fun! guess what, his wiper still worked!, we took out the box and his not work.
we then put our box back in our 80 and now IT works!

Buggered if i know!

rgds
GN
FollowupID: 683796

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:44

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:44
bad connection on one of the pins?
FollowupID: 683815

Follow Up By: slammin - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 21:01

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 21:01
FWIW in my 80 series (barndoor) it was the wiring loom was perished/damaged from the door opening closing. The fault was intermittent and not visible. The wires looked fine.

I just unplugged the wipers. Problem solved.
FollowupID: 683820

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:46

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:46
Hi

dont think it was just a bad connection as i had taken the box out a couple of times when fiddling?

the damaged wire theory does make me wonder as we have had a few examples of fractured wired inside seemingly fine outer coating on tractors to machinery.

will see how it goes i guess.

i would like to know just where the earth is for the wiper motor?

someone reconed it was in the roof lining but i am not so sure and dont rely want to get in there.

regards
GN
FollowupID: 683917

Sponsored Links