hot water system wont light ?????

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:15
ThreadID: 77873 Views:3632 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well I've had this van for 3 months now without a problem
We currently live on a perm site at the Tanunda Caravan Park
Today i turned on the hot water switch and no red light went on to show it was starting to light
i took the outside cover off & there is no activity at all
Now as a gas man i make a great chef lol
But id like to learn these problems as they arise so when we are on the road we can fix thm
any suggestions ???
warren aka aussichef
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: goddosglory - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:41

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:41
you haven,t said what sort of system it is...but i can tell you when i bought my van ssecond hand...the gas hot water had not been used for some time...it took a long time for the gas to feed into the system..the pilot light...after considerable time and moving the match around it did light and has not been a problem since
AnswerID: 413659

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:42

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:42
G'day, I'm no expert on gas either, but today I got my 3 way fridge going again.
Problem is either lack of gas flow or lack of ignition. I'm not sure in your case
how you check either. I had to dismantle gas entry assembly & found a stuck
valve...cleaned & replaced & works fine. But this did involve undoing & retightening gas tight connections & maybe I am not qualified to do that, but I
have checked all with soapy water & I am happy there are no leaks. One does
need to be very safety conscious when dealing with gas as you know. Perhaps if
you are not keen to fiddle with it yourself, a trip to the service agents may be required. Wiser heads may be able to assist.
Good luck with it...........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 413660

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 17:02

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 17:02
You may have a power supply problem.

Is there a fuse somewhere?

What type of a system is it?
AnswerID: 413662

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 17:53

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 17:53
I have found that after swapping gas bottles or a long idle period, by lighting another a high volume appliance that is as close as possible to the fridge eg stove. Seems to help.
Regards Mike
AnswerID: 413669

Reply By: farouk - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:30

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:30
Hi,
No doubt in my mind you have a problem with power to the ingnition, the theory re gas bottles etc may be a problem BUT in this case with no red light showing indicates that your first remedy will be to replace the fuse which has stopped the power from igniting the gas and progress from there.Also if it has not been used on gas for some time yoiu will have to hold the gas nob pushed in to get the gas thru the pipe to the burner, just get that light burning first.!!
Farouk
AnswerID: 413705

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 14:13

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 14:13
And the fact that three months stationary may have run the 12v battery down as these type (Suburban) rely on 12v to operate. If their is no battery charger I suggest that is the problem.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683927

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 14:22

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 14:22
hi aussie chef

some heaters have an ignition selenoid switch that do fail

check to see if you have a solid power supply at the heater check for a blown fuse is the heater 12v or 240v
pour a kettle of boiling water over each gas bottle and feel for the cold zone up the side of the bottle

sliding your hand from base upwards the cold zone is the amount of gas left in the bottle this can be used on any size g/bottle

others have mentioned other things to do during the lighting procedure but if you have no power supply it wont start regardless
cheers
AnswerID: 413767

Reply By: Member -Toonfish - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:00

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:00
gday warren
nothing like a cold shower hey!
2013/14 around oz adventure bound

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 414123

Sponsored Links