SWB GQ Patrol towing a campertrailer to cape york

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 779 Views:3075 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
l have a SWB GQ Petrol 4.2 on gas, and want to know if any one has done this trip from Melb in this vehicle and how the nissan went towing, also any problems you encountered, my vehicle is also raised 2" and has a roof rack, would a snorkel be required.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Terry - Monday, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:00
Towed a CUB camper trailer up there last year with a Toyo Troopy. No major problems with OTL but bypass roads too corrugated for the trailer - made for very slow progress. Your Patrol shouldn't have a problem.
AnswerID: 2188

Follow Up By: Jason - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Terry,
but did you have any trouble with water crossings as l am undecided in whether to fit a snorkel, l have made many creek crossings in the past and had no problem but there was allways an alternate route if the intial was to deep and did water seep into your trailer.
Thanks
FollowupID: 779

Reply By: Tony- Tuesday, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:00
I travelled to the Cape in 1999 but without a trailer. The snorkel is very useful to help keep the larger particles of cdust from clogging the air cleaner. It is a *very* dusty trip. Also, I crossed the Pascoe River on the Frenchmans Track. At the time the water depth was up to the door handles. I was very glad I had a snorkel! This year I'm going back again with a camper trailer. Note well that auto gas (LPG) is/was *very* rare!!! I wouldn't contemplate the trip unless you have dual fuel or have checked and re-cheacked on gas availability.
AnswerID: 2203

Follow Up By: Jason - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Tony for your advise, l also appreciate the feed back on the LPG as my vehicle is on dual fuel, so a few extra Jerry cans wont go astray.
Cheers and safe traveling Jason..
FollowupID: 784

Reply By: Nigel - Sunday, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:00
Many standard 4WDs go to cape your every year (no lift and no snorkel) but I would get one if you can afford it. Go for the safari on a GQ coz I've seen the airtec vibrate loose on a GQ. I've had no probs with my Safari on my LWB GQ. If you don't get a snorkel take a spare air filter. If you use an oiled air filter for that trip then be aware that the fine bulldust draws the oil out of the filter so you may want to re-oil more regularly.
AnswerID: 2266

Sponsored Links